First BIAB batch, seems like a success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiknNutz

Reaction score
Still consider myself a newbie, but have moved on from extracts to BIAB and am so far very happy with the process and the results. My first batch was an "Orange SMaSH Pale Ale" from Altantic Brew Supply (props to them for such great service). I used the Priceless Brew in a Bag calculator and started with 7.93G @161.2 degrees F for my strike water. Although this is meant to be a 5G batch, I decided I wanted to shoot for 5.5G in the fermenter, knowing my OG and ABV might suffer some based on a planned 75% efficiency. I can live with that. Moving on.

While not that exact, my initial temp was 162.3 and volume close enough to that...just a shade under 8G with my calibrated dipstick :) I took several measurements as I went, not being too sure what all is important, but I figure more data is better than less. So after stirring in the 11.5# of Briess 2-row pale malt, my water dropped to 155.1. After a 60 minute mash, the water temp was 149.9. After lifting the bag and squeezing and draining, I still had 7.5G of water, which was too much based on the calcs which suggested it should be 7.13G for pre-boil. I went ahead and boiled off a little until I had an estimated 7.25G. In hindsight, maybe I should have just left it alone as I ultimately boiled off a bit more than expected, with a post-boil volume of 5.75G (which is 1/2G more than planned).

I forgot to take a post-boil OG reading, but did take a pre-boil gravity reading of 1.038 @ 119 degrees, which is a 1.049 temp corrected gravity. I had already cleaned up everything before realizing I had failed to take the OG. Oh well, it smelled like good wort to me. It's all now in the FC happily fermenting away already as evidence by the vigorous airlock bubbling.

After the brew, I went ahead and visited the Brewer's Friend calcs to see if I could calculate what my efficiency was and what the OG should be based on all this. Here's what I came up with.

Calculated efficiency: 86.84%
Calculated OG: 1.064 (plan was 1.058)
Calculated FG: 1.018 (plan was 1.013)
Estimated ABV: 6.04% (plan was 5.9%)

I don't know if this is correct for a brand new BIAB brewer or just go lucky, since the recipe planned for a 75% efficiency.

In the pix you will see I transferred from the brew kettle to a bucket, which is an unnecessary step, but the reason I did is so I can see how much wort I am actually getting into the fermenter. It also helps to aerate the wort as I don't do an O2 aerate step. So into the bucket I got just a touch under 5.5G, which is a little under my plan but good enough for now. I really just want to end up with a true 5G in the keg. Overall, really pleased with how little trub you get in the brew kettle with this process, which translates to less and less trub in each transfer. A large part of this was also due to using the hop boiling bag. I have floating dip tubes in my kegmenter and kegs, so should end up with really clear beer at the end of the day. Overall, this was a 5 hour brew day, though I wasn't striving for a short one, could have cut off maybe 1/2 hour or even an hour if I was more efficient with certain steps. But cleanup was better than even the extracts I've done since so little trub ends up in the kettle. The bags are much easier to clean than I expected, a nice surprise.

BIAB1.JPEG

BIAB2.JPEG

BIAB3.JPEG

BIAB4.JPEG

BIAB5.JPEG

Looks good. By the way, you can estimate your OG by just using V1C1=V2C2. So (7.5g)(49)=(5.75g)x, solving for x you can estimate your OG at 1.064. It'll at least give you a ballpark of where you ended up at.

Well done!

Your efficiency number indicates you were able to specify a double crush or fine crush when you you ordered your kit?

As you become more accustomed to the process, you'll find you can reduce your brew day to 3.5-4hrs. That is if you want to. Some of my brew days are short and sweet, some are long and sweet.

Well done!

Your efficiency number indicates you were able to specify a double crush or fine crush when you you ordered your kit?

As you become more accustomed to the process, you'll find you can reduce your brew day to 3.5-4hrs. That is if you want to. Some of my brew days are short and sweet, some are long and sweet.

Yes, Atlantic gives you the option of none, single or double crush...and cost is same for all. I would have no problem paying extra, but that's how they roll. They make the kit to order which I am stoked about. I didn't know about them til recently, I got my order in under 2 days since they are only a couple hours away. Allows me to put off buying a mill for a while. I have another kit from them in the freezer.

I would like to reduce the time commitment and am sure it will improve with experience. Granted, I did some other stuff during the mash and boil, so it's not like I sat there exclusively babysitting the brew.

....Allows me to put off buying a mill for a while....

Looks like you have a great supplier for kits. That's a big plus. But I would advise you to invest in the mill sooner rather than later. Having your own mill will allow you to buy your grains un-milled. They will stay fresh longer.

But I think the biggest benefit of having your own mill is that it enables you to buying your base grains in full sacks. The per pound savings will pay for a mill soon enough.

Still consider myself a newbie, but have moved on from extracts to BIAB and am so far very happy with the process and the results.

Your simple setup is not far off from mine (though I don't even have a ball valve on my kettle). How do you like that fermenter? Do you serve right out of that or transfer to another keg?

Yes, Atlantic gives you the option of none, single or double crush...and cost is same for all. I would have no problem paying extra, but that's how they roll. They make the kit to order which I am stoked about. I didn't know about them til recently, I got my order in under 2 days since they are only a couple hours away. Allows me to put off buying a mill for a while. I have another kit from them in the freezer.

I would like to reduce the time commitment and am sure it will improve with experience. Granted, I did some other stuff during the mash and boil, so it's not like I sat there exclusively babysitting the brew.
Looks like you’re doing everything right. I’ve never ordered one of ABS’s kits, but they have quickly become my go to store when I order ingredients and supplies. Their prices for grain can’t hardly be beat and they are very competitive with the rest of their inventory. I don’t mind paying the $8 flat rate shipping either.

Your simple setup is not far off from mine (though I don't even have a ball valve on my kettle). How do you like that fermenter? Do you serve right out of that or transfer to another keg?

I use that just as a fermenter and transfer to a corny keg. I am so far happy with my decision to go with the kegmenter...it is stainless so very durable, is able to hold pressure so can either ferment under pressure (not yet) and can perform closed transfers.

Looks like you’re doing everything right. I’ve never ordered one of ABS’s kits, but they have quickly become my go to store when I order ingredients and supplies. Their prices for grain can’t hardly be beat and they are very competitive with the rest of their inventory. I don’t mind paying the $8 flat rate shipping either.

Even though the shipping is definitely affordable, I always looks for ways to get free shipping. So last time I just ordered two kits. The other one was unbelievably cheap, like $20 for a Milk Stout (The Udder Lover) including yeast. Hard to beat and for me shipping speed is fantastic.

Congrats on your new brew day! Well done.

I am also a fan of ABS, but I live about 20 minutes away so I typically pay them and connecting Raleigh Brewing a visit. Kind of a ritual to get a new draft beer while pulling grains. I have watched them prepare orders... they are very meticulous and double check everything... i'd have full confidence ordering from them.

Back