Pressurizing keg for transport

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KartRacer54

Reaction score
Recently moved my electric brewing system to a new house. My kegerator is in the garage and I keg in the basement brew room. When I fill the keg it is not under pressure until I get it to the garage and therefore leaks during the transport. I know the best solution is to have another co2 bottle and regulator but wondered if anyone has another less expensive solution. Would pressure from a compressor to seal the keg ruin the beer in the 15 minutes it would take to move the keg to the kegerator and charge with co2?

put the keg in a garbage bag to catch the mess, pressurize with co2 in the garage, the air compressor is a bad idea.
You can hose off any spills on the keg in the garage

An inexpensive pocket charger might be your solution to seal the keg, a blast from it should do the job.

Either that, or fix the leaky lid. A corny keg shouldn't literally leak fluid when latched up...

[edit]
fwiw, this over-thickness lid O-ring has solved problems for many hbters...
https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Oversize-Keg-Lid-Sealing-O-Ring-P58.aspx
Cheers!
All 10 of my older pin lock kegs with new standard o rings leak without pressure. Thought that to be normal, guess I am wrong. They seal fine with pressure so I guess I’ll have to decide whether to spend $50 on oversized o rings or put that toward second co2 system, decisions, decisions:)

I vote a second co2.. having a second setup for closed transfers and moving beer around is great..

Leaking, unpressurized kegs is not normal. Try keg lube on the o-ring before buying the oversized o-rings if that doesn't work, I would definitely buy the oversized o-rings. I have them on two of my kegs and they work great.

Back