Pressure fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam_cotter

Reaction score
Brewed for the first time in over twenty years yesterday. I brewed a basic 60 40 wheat ale with cascade for the 60 minute boil and citra additions at 15, 5, and flame out. ten gallon batch. First time ever all grain brewing. Had a bit of trouble getting the mash temp stabilized, finally at 154-156. I was using a 15 gallon sanke for a mash tun. Got it mashed then boiled. Then into my 15 gallon sanke fermenter which is building pressure now. I am up to 12 psi after 24 hours. I don't have an automatic vent so I will vent manually via a schrader valve. I am using US-05 yeast, my question does anyone have an idea when the pressure will be too much for the US-05 to tolerate. I was going to target 15 psi.

sam

Brewed for the first time in over twenty years yesterday. I brewed a basic 60 40 wheat ale with cascade for the 60 minute boil and citra additions at 15, 5, and flame out. ten gallon batch. First time ever all grain brewing. Had a bit of trouble getting the mash temp stabilized, finally at 154-156. I was using a 15 gallon sanke for a mash tun. Got it mashed then boiled. Then into my 15 gallon sanke fermenter which is building pressure now. I am up to 12 psi after 24 hours. I don't have an automatic vent so I will vent manually via a schrader valve. I am using US-05 yeast, my question does anyone have an idea when the pressure will be too much for the US-05 to tolerate. I was going to target 15 psi.

sam
Have been fermenting well. I had one setback, the pressure built up beyond the flat silicone gasket could handle and I had a blowout on day two. I estimate the pressure went over 45 psi. Cleaned up the mess reset the gasket and has been fermenting along nicely. Temperature has been very consistent from 63.5 to 64.8. I am continuing to vent as pressure builds so I know it is still fermenting. I am hoping by Friday which will be day 5 that the fermentation settles down and I can let it sit without having to vent. Picture below
fermenter.jpg

After the pressure stopped climbing 6 days after pitching the yeast, I let it sit in the fermenter for two weeks at 30 psi, 64 degrees. I transferred the brew to 5 gallon sankes yesterday. Somewhat troublesome on the transfers as the beer foamed excessively. I am happy with the results so far. The flavor is good, quite drinkable but not "wow this is a great beer" For my first try at all grain and my first time brewing in over 20 years I am pleased. Picture of the brew below
beerpic.jpg

Nice job. I think i heard Palmer and Chris White on a Beersmith podcast saying not to go beyond 15psi (ideally ~5psi) to avoid suppressing the yeasts’ ability to reproduce.

Today I blanched two pounds of peaches, dropped then into an ice water bath and peeled them. After peeling I sliced them in half pulled the pits put them in a sauce pan and used a hand masher to mash them. 500 ml of water was added then heated slowly to 160f. The mixture was strained and I yielded 900ml of peach juice which I added to one of the kegs. I finished transferring the balance of the fermenter to both kegs. I am leaving the keg with the peach juice to sit at 64F in the basement, I suspect that the yeast still in suspension should chomp on the sugar in the peach juice. Hoping to get some peach flavor.
SAm

This beer has been in my keezer for a week and I have been pouring off it all week, I can honestly say the flavor has been getting better. As it is now flavor wise, is where I think it is going to get to. I am very happy with it. The second keg that I added the peach juice to will go in the keezer tomorow for cold crash. will report back on that.
Sam

Latest posts

Back