Preserving spruce tips for later brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
We've got some really nice spruce tips popping here, and I've got a recipe for a spruce-tip ale (inspired by Benjamin Franklin, no less), that I'd like to try.

The thing is, I wanted to hold off on brewing it until around September or October.

Is there a "best" way to preserve the tips until then? Vacuum-sealing/freezing? Drying? Freezing them in a block of ice? Something else?

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks!

Ron

I have some that I vac-pac'd and froze.

Have not used them yet though...I'd imagine they will be a little soft b/c of the ice damage, but who cares? That's how they get after you chuck 'em in any way.

Sounds good to me - getting soft is probably a good thing, as the freezing should expand the cells and help the good stuff release.

I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. This recipe looks to be a good one, and sounds like a great winter ale.

My son is actually ordering the ingredients to make this in the next couple of weeks, so when he collects his spruce tips (from a tree in our yard), I'll have him get a few for me, and will vacuum seal/freeze them.

This should be an interesting one....

Resurrecting an old thread. With spring right around the corner, I'd like to collect some spruce tips for use later this year. How did vacuum sealing and freezing work? I was thinking a shot of vodka and vacuum sealing, with storage in my keezer.
Oh, and how was the beer?

Sad to say, I haven't yet brewed the beer. I do have the spruce tips though; I collected quite a few on the rocky Mountain Front last spring, and they are currently in the freezer sealed up. My son used a few of them for a beer and it turned out well. I am also considering some sort of mead, as well.

As for the Vodka, I am not so sure. It's worth a try; maybe a side-by-side comparison?

Resurrecting an old thread. With spring right around the corner, I'd like to collect some spruce tips for use later this year. How did vacuum sealing and freezing work? I was thinking a shot of vodka and vacuum sealing, with storage in my keezer.
Oh, and how was the beer?

Vac-seal and freeze works just fine.

Don't know what you'd put vodka in there for...don't need it (and I'm not sure it would totally freeze)

Back