Spruce tips Kveik ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garage12brewing

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need some help to develop my recipe...

I do have a bunch of spruce tips I collected last spring. The are vacuum bagged and frozen.

I would like to brew something that would be inspired by the Norwegian Ale... I really mean inspired...

This is what I got so far ;

1.058SG

10lbs 2row
12oz caramel/Crystal 80L
4oz roasted barley
1.5oz special roasted malt
2oz East kent golding 60 min
0.5oz Spruce tips 30 min
3 oz Spruce tips 0 min

Lallemand Voss Kveik Ale yeast

I really want to use these spruce tips and be able to notice them... and balance them with the sweetness of the caramel malt... the roasted and special roast would adjust the color and give a nice taste too...

Let me know what you think !

Cheers !!

****** also I dont know if I should use hops like centenial, cascade etc... instead of the smoother east kent golding...

I’ve recently got into wild/sour ales. This is a great read on tradition Norwegian brewing processes and ingredients Traditional Farmhouse Malting in Stjørdal - Brewing Nordic

Now how inspired are we talking? Traditional or do you want it to just be influenced by Norwegian styles.?

Yeah I already readed this page ! Very interesting ! Well... I got a pack of Voss Kveik yeast and some spruces tips... I dont have access to Juniper trees.... I dont want to go trought all this process... so I should forgot the Norwegian word in my post maybe... ;) Influenced... I really dont expect the same results as these guys...

Yeah I already readed this page ! Very interesting ! Well... I got a pack of Voss Kveik yeast and some spruces tips... I dont have access to Juniper trees.... I dont want to go trought all this process... so I should forgot the Norwegian word in my post maybe... ;) Influenced... I really dont expect the same results as these guys...
You could make a really nice dark piney ale. I would make a cleaner base beer like a schwarzbier and then pair the spruce tips with chinook hops if you really wanna bush the piney/resinous character. If you want to go more traditional research the style, juleol

Hi guys,

I need some help to develop my recipe...

I do have a bunch of spruce tips I collected last spring. The are vacuum bagged and frozen.

I would like to brew something that would be inspired by the Norwegian Ale... I really mean inspired...

This is what I got so far ;

1.058SG

10lbs 2row
12oz caramel/Crystal 80L
4oz roasted barley
1.5oz special roasted malt
2oz East kent golding 60 min
0.5oz Spruce tips 30 min
3 oz Spruce tips 0 min

Lallemand Voss Kveik Ale yeast

I really want to use these spruce tips and be able to notice them... and balance them with the sweetness of the caramel malt... the roasted and special roast would adjust the color and give a nice taste too...

Let me know what you think !

Cheers !!
I used 11 oz. spruce tips throughout the entire mash, and another 11 oz. at 5 min. It was quite noticeable. My recipe was different though. 65% Pilsener, 11% Vienna, 3% Caramunich, 11% flaked oats, and 10% honey. Cascade .75 oz. @ 60, Saaz .33 at 15 , and Saaz .33 at 5 min. Hornindal kveik. Very tasty overall. Spouse loved it.

I have had a spruce beer made by 49th State Brewing in Anchorage, one of my least favorite.
The only advice I could provide is, toss them on the compost pile and use hops.

I have had a spruce beer made by 49th State Brewing in Anchorage, one of my least favorite.
The only advice I could provide is, toss them on the compost pile and use hops.

its probably a question of taste... I still want to try it out. I think the beer you are refering too isnt a malty beer like I want to do.

I used 11 oz. spruce tips throughout the entire mash, and another 11 oz. at 5 min. It was quite noticeable. My recipe was different though. 65% Pilsener, 11% Vienna, 3% Caramunich, 11% flaked oats, and 10% honey. Cascade .75 oz. @ 60, Saaz .33 at 15 , and Saaz .33 at 5 min. Hornindal kveik. Very tasty overall. Spouse loved it.

Cool ! I will add some to the mash to balance the taste !

Latest posts

Back