Powdered beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting concept, but it'll never fly unfortunately. It would need to be sold in outdoor stores, but can't. Each packet (it's not powder, but a small concentrate) has ~50ml which is about 10% of the target volume, meaning it should have 40-50% ABV before diluting. You can't sell that at a place without a liquor license.

That said, I do hope it takes off, and I'd love to try it. Head over to their facebook and watch the prototype video. Very interesting.

I don't see how packing bottles of soda water around to mix with powdered beer is more convenient than packing around cans and bottles of beer.

Now a hip flask is convenient.

EDIT: my bad. It looks like you add a packet of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to it. More convenient, more nasty.

This is an empty bottle, and packets of beer concentrate, and co2 activator. You just add clean water. So presumably, if you were backpacking, you could bring several beers worth without all the water weight. If this really worked and tastes the way they advertise, it would be a boon to a niche market.

Each packet (it's not powder, but a small concentrate) has ~50ml which is about 10% of the target volume, meaning it should have 40-50% ABV before diluting. You can't sell that at a place without a liquor license.

Angostura Bitters is widely sold at places without a liquor license. It's 44.7% and 200ml.

Angostura Bitters is widely sold at places without a liquor license. It's 44.7% and 200ml.

Good point but it's used as a flavoring, and nobody in their right mind would ever drink it as-is. There must be some legal exclusion that I doubt would apply to this. Besides, it says on their website that it's gotta be a store that sells liquor.

And here I was trying to figure out how to get into ball games. It can't be worse than a $9 Budweiser.

And like $10 here..for a 100ml... extract would be cheaper, but pretty nasty, especially health wise.

Back