Phantasm Powder Alternative

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BasementArtie

Reaction score
I want to give the Phantasm Powder a go however I am unable to get my hand on it in the UK and I don't think there are any alternatives available at the moment.

Always one for experimenting, I was thinking about using Spinach Powder as an alternative due to it's own levels of GSH & CYS thiols and (cystathionine) β-lyase level along with Lallemand Verdant IPA Dry Yeast (Enzymes in Biotransformation | Lallemand) already high in β-lyase activity.

However from what see is beta-lyase is only a precursing enzyme for 4M(4)SP (4MMP) thiols (on the Lallemand Yeast information) for biotransformation not 3-MH or 3-MHA although beer52 seem to directly link beta-lyase to 3-MH (Beer52). (Beer52).
80673-1677699152219.png

I was thinking of a mash hop of cascade to firstly increase the levels of cys-3MH and g-3MH as well as passion fruit powder (+papaya powder) also to increase the precursor, I am hoping the combination of increase beta-lyase and precursors will do the same job.

Could someone more intelligent in chemistry and biology tell me why it wouldn't work?

Last edited:
Back