Potentially Underpitched Belgium Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsb

Reaction score
I am once again new to home brewing (did it several times 15 years ago, but not since). Jjust a couple of days ago I started a Belgium Tripel from Williams Brewing. In some research since I got the batch going, some concerns have come up. Specifically, the Wyeast 1214 that I used, claims to be sufficient for 5 gallons of 1.060 wort. My initial gravity was 1.092, so I am concerned that the high alcohol produced by this beer will extensively damage my yeast population before I can get to a terminal gravity that does not leave me with sweet beer. And if that is the case, should I be worried that I wont be able to carbonate (bottle condition). Every thing I read indicates I should have pitched at least twice the yeast that I did (great after the fact info). You would think, if this is the case, that Williams would make it part of the kit.

Thanks, I appreciate that. BTW, if I were to brew this kit again, what would the advantages be to doubling up on the 1214 (to 200 billion cells for 5 gallons)? With just the one, I had fermlock bubbling in 8 hours, and vigorous fermentation in 16, so I assume all was initially right with the world. Would two only get me to FG faster?

Sounds like you had a good pack of yeast. Sometimes they contain less because some have died off. On another 1.092 you could use two packs.

As for speed, yes it does help a little. Mainly on lag time though (Once the yeast feel there are enough of them to go to work). A good dose of yeast nutrient can help the cell count build up too.

As the saying goes, “You go to war with the army you have…”. The more soldiers the better they can win against any unwanted infection which might stop by.

You may want to search around the rooms on making a starter 4-5 days before you brew. Save you the cost of a second pack of yeast.

Welcome back.

I usually time my starters for 24hr fermentation and stick them in the fridge for 6-12 hours and decant and let sit in room temperature for up to 6-8 hours then pitch.

If you aerated well and the package of yeast you pitched was healthy, you're probably alright.

The reason you don't want to underpitch is because your yeast can become stressed and throw off flavors, which is why for a beer that big, it's best to create a starter. Use the yeast pitching calculator at www.mrmalty.com to figure out the pitching rate for your next beer.

The reason you don't want to underpitch isn't because the alcohol is going to kill a smaller amount of yeast, but it's related to some flavor issues in the finished product. I've heard of a recommendation to underpitch Belgian beers because the ester production that you get during the growth phase lends itself to increased Belgian character. I'll let you decide that for yourself, though. In the end, I think that it's always good to pitch an adequate amount of yeast because you want to get your beer off to the best possible start that you can.

and from what i've been reading here as well, you can also bring the fermenting temp up to get those ester flavors instead of underpitching and risking a chance of getting a stuck fermentation from and inadequate yeast count.

Back