Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first attempt at a saison, it's been in secondary for two weeks now. What do y'all think? unnamed.jpg

Keep an eye on that oil-sick looking area, but it looks ok to me. Yeah those floaties are just yeast rafts.

I have a green ring on my airlock. It's on the floater piece and it's on the center post. No significant odor. Infected?

It's a cider with safecider yeast. OG 1.048 on 4/23. Haven't checked the sg since.

EDIT: ok, I checked it. 1.000 on the money. I'm not sure if the taste is good or not. I haven't done this enough to know what to expect.

IMG_0799.jpg

If you're using starsan or vodka as the airlock liquid, you should be fine. What's the surface of the cider look like?

If you're using starsan or vodka as the airlock liquid, you should be fine. What's the surface of the cider look like?

It's clear. Nothing on the surface at all. Starsan in the airlock. Is that common to get some color in the airlock?

Little bit of sawdust clinging to a poured basement wall. It's a work shop / brewery. I throw a light tarp over the fermenters when I'm making dust.

It's clear. Nothing on the surface at all. Starsan in the airlock. Is that common to get some color in the airlock?

Not normal. Change out the airlock (or clean it). Give the beer a taste to see if you detect anything off.

So I'm fairly certain this isn't an infection (feel free to correct me if it looks like the start of one) but wanted opinions on what exactly is going on as I've not seen this before. It's a fairly mesmerising pattern, like an artwork almost. It's my first imperial stout, 9%abv dropped to final gravity after a week (1.016) and this photo is at 2 weeks. Would hop oils sit on the surface with this sort of pattern? It hasn't been dry hopped at all.... Hmmm opinions?

image.jpg

Little bit of sawdust clinging to a poured basement wall. It's a work shop / brewery. I throw a light tarp over the fermenters when I'm making dust.

Could be something that made its way in due to shop dust. I wouldn't stress it. Just make sure not to let any drip into your cider.

Hi everyone!
I hope to get some helpful informations about a potentially infected batch.

I took 2 pictures about it:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Is the batch infected?

I bottled the beer two weeks ago and no gushing or anything else strage.

I really wonder if it's a real infection or I'm just paranoid.

Beer is a American Pale Ale fermented with US-05.

I tasted the beer and what I noticed is not all the bottles are the same.
Some are good, some taste just a tiny bit acid and are more watery. Color is also paler (lighter and not really vivid).

I cleaned all of my equipment and sanitized everything that touched the "cold wort" with Star San.

How is it possible? :confused:

Another big question: do I have to change my fermentation bucket or try to clean it and sanitize it with something stronger? I have the feeling that also the previous batch was contaminated since the taste was quite similar as this one.

Fermenting bucket has been used only two times!

Thanks a lot for your help!

File_000.jpg

File_001.jpg

@teogamba. Hard to tell for sure. When you stuck your autosiphon in the wort, did the film stuff seem to just move, like oil on water, or break like a thin layer of ice?
If it's the later, then it's definitely an infection. You could try to deep clean then bucket if you want. If able, I would recommend ditching it for a better piece. There are several good options of plastic fermentors out there that won't break the bank.

The two big downsides of buckets are
1) they are made of very soft plastic and any scratches or gouges can harbour bacteria.
2) to dry hop, check gravity etc, you have to open the huge lid which exposes the beer to a lot of outside oxygen and possible contaminates. Same for racking from the vessel. Acetobacter is everywhere and is airborne. I ditched my bucket for good when a batch of cider turned to vinegar due to acetobacter.

Happy brewing!

Could this be the beginning stages of an infection growth? Those white specs weren't there yesterday...day 11 in the fermenter.

6lQN5ax.jpg

NGfclCN.jpg

Moved to secondary last week and just saw this. Only reason I moved to secondary was because both my kegs are full and it was in the primary for at least a month. I am fairly sure this batch is infected, but now what....What do I do ?

Infected ? 1.jpg

Infected ? 2.jpg

INfected ? 3.jpg

Moved to secondary last week and just saw this. Only reason I moved to secondary was because both my kegs are full and it was in the primary for at least a month. I am fairly sure this batch is infected, but now what....What do I do ?

100% infected, unfortunately. Dump it, or put it in the corner for 1 year and then taste it.

Just looks to me like CO2 rising up from the yeast in those spots.

I was concerned because I tasted a bit off the top, and and it had some nasty off-flavour like household cleaning product or something. I bottled a few days ago and the stuff out of spigot tasted good.

Thank you Shock29. Any idea what type it is ? Will i have to deep clean all my lines ? or did a fruit fly just get in there somehow ?

Thank you Shock29. Any idea what type it is ? Will i have to deep clean all my lines ? or did a fruit fly just get in there somehow ?

Hard to say what type it is, someone else on here might know. I'm guessing the only thing you've used is some vinyl tubing to rack into the carboy. Hard to tell if the infection would be present in it or if it occurred after. I would bleach soak everything that touched it post- kettle, and/or replace all tubing just to be safe.

It happens. Brew again!

If it still tastes good, another option, since you keg, is to keg it, get it cold, burst carb and drink it fast. Use a picnic tap and cheap tubing you can toss after. Then you will have only to clean the crap out of a keg(don't use bleach, it can pit stainless). Probably good to replace all oring as well.

100% infected, unfortunately. Dump it, or put it in the corner for 1 year and then taste it.
Yeah. The key question is whether it's a good infection or bad infection. Give it a little taste, and let us know whether it tastes like puke, poo, or lemonade.

Ok awesome. I'm going to be on vacation for a few weeks so i'll just let it sit and see what happens until I come back. I wont be able to drink it quick until I come back, so we will see what happens. If it turns out good then awesome. If not, it's ok because I was just going to toss it out anyhow. Thanks everyone. Ill post back here after I get a taste.

I'm making a lager, and I'll admit that I had a lot going on that day and might not have followed my ordinary procedures.

This is only my second lager, and I have no idea what I'm looking at here. Its almost like someone left a white ghost in my beer.

lager yeast.jpg

I'm making a lager, and I'll admit that I had a lot going on that day and might not have followed my ordinary procedures.

This is only my second lager, and I have no idea what I'm looking at here. Its almost like someone left a white ghost in my beer.

Looks like proteins all coagulated together. Nothing at all to worry about.

Latest posts

Back