Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So my keezer took a crap and I've been using my fermentation chamber freezer to serve. Same setup just no collar for taps. Currently using picnic taps. Well I was down to one keg and had to ferment so I dumbly just disconnect the gas to my keg and left it in the fermentation chamber. I checked for good Krausen after a few days and haven't even looked in it for past 2-3 weeks. I went to cold crash it today and found everything covered in mold inside the chamber. I'm guessing it's condensation from the cold keg that was allowed to warm that contributed so much moisture to the chamber and caused the mold. Thoughts?? Is my keg still any good you think? I haven't cracked the lid in the bucket. View attachment 373998View attachment 373999

*UPDATE - I hosed everything down and sprayed star san all over the bucket before opening and inside the bucket was perfect. I kegged it and am currently enjoying a tasty glass. My other keg also was washed and star san soaked and tastes great still. I did throw out ALL plastic that was involved, bucket, picnic tap and beer line.

Any thoughts on this? Looks normal from the top, but I've never seen these stringy things coming down from the bottom of the Krausen before. This is 11 days after pitching US-05:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Any thoughts on this? Looks normal from the top, but I've never seen these stringy things coming down from the bottom of the Krausen before. This is 11 days after pitching US-05:

The lager I just did looked exactly like your first picture. I say no worries.

This is a Christmas Saison about 3-4 weeks old, I am not familiar with the recipe in terms of what it is supposed to taste like, it seemed strange but so does the style (to me). I tasted it, it seemed strange but I'm not entirely convinced its infected.

Please take a look and offer an opinion if you have one, thanks

IMG_0132.jpg

It doesn't look infected at all. Saison yeast does have a barnyard funky smell which is quite desirable. When the SG stops dropping - probably less than 1.005 - keg/bottle and enjoy

It doesn't look infected at all. Saison yeast does have a barnyard funky smell which is quite desirable. When the SG stops dropping - probably less than 1.005 - keg/bottle and enjoy

Thanks for the opinion. I was not convinced either, I just dont think anyone who tasted it knew what it was supposed to taste like. Wasnt sure about the floaters either, but it didnt look like infection to me.

I've been having a lot of problems past year or so with my beers turning sour (also crazy over-carbonating so I'm thinking some sort of wild yeast contamination). After several batches got ruined, I decided to throw away my plastic buckets and bought glass carboy and new tubes and everything else that can touch beer after boiling-phase to make sure it would not happen again. I made my first batch over a week ago (basic cascade-apa, US-05, OG 1.053) and put it in a cellar. It was a bit too cold in there (15C which is about 59F i think) but it was fermenting the next day. I brought the carboy inside the house today to make sure it would ferment completely - bubbling is still going. I don't know if I'm being paranoid because of my past dissapointments, but I got worried does the beer look infected - AGAIN? Does beer in the pics look normal to you? Should i be worried about bretta or something? If I still have the problem I am out of ideas what is going wrong with my process. Naturally I clean equipment before brewing and sanitize with saniclean. The beer has not siphoned to secondary, opened or anything. As mentioned, I used plastic buckets before so I rarely opened the buckets to see how heatlhy fermentation should look like. But I am a lil bit worried about those "big bubbles"

20161118_130103_zpsnkssa4y6.jpg

20161118_130121_zpssxkfjdnz.jpg

I've been having a lot of problems past year or so with my beers turning sour (also crazy over-carbonating so I'm thinking some sort of wild yeast contamination). After several batches got ruined, I decided to throw away my plastic buckets and bought glass carboy and new tubes and everything else that can touch beer after boiling-phase to make sure it would not happen again. I made my first batch over a week ago (basic cascade-apa, US-05, OG 1.053) and put it in a cellar. It was a bit too cold in there (15C which is about 59F i think) but it was fermenting the next day. I brought the carboy inside the house today to make sure it would ferment completely - bubbling is still going. I don't know if I'm being paranoid because of my past dissapointments, but I got worried does the beer look infected - AGAIN? Does beer in the pics look normal to you? Should i be worried about bretta or something? If I still have the problem I am out of ideas what is going wrong with my process. Naturally I clean equipment before brewing and sanitize with saniclean. The beer has not siphoned to secondary, opened or anything. As mentioned, I used plastic buckets before so I rarely opened the buckets to see how heatlhy fermentation should look like. But I am a lil bit worried about those "big bubbles"

20161118_130103_zpsnkssa4y6.jpg

20161118_130121_zpssxkfjdnz.jpg

Doesn't look bad to me. Pop the bung out, pour a little out into a cup, and taste it.

HELP!!

is this an infection. Never seen this using s-05 after 2weeks. beer tastes ok but worried about the clumps.
If infected should i go ahead and crash and bottle?? or dump it. argh. first infection after 3years of brewing!!

infectedbrew.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

HELP!!

is this an infection. Never seen this using s-05 after 2weeks. beer tastes ok but worried about the clumps.
If infected should i go ahead and crash and bottle?? or dump it. argh. first infection after 3years of brewing!!

infectedbrew.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's looks similar to my brown ale...I got mixed responses on whether or not it is infected. See the pics in the post right before yours and here are a couple more in better light. I'm still not convinced it's infected but I went ahead and kegged right away just in case. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1479695063.140458.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1479695073.894298.jpg

ThX robC
i added some chocolate nibsand am leaving town for 5days so I'm outta luck with immediate packaging.
Ill rack under next week and see how it goes.
thx

bottled it last saturday, hope that it's not an infection, in the photos looks worse than it is

IMG_20161120_105528.jpg

IMG_20161120_105540.jpg

bottled it last saturday, hope that it's not an infection, in the photos looks worse than it is

How did this turn out for you? I was about to keg a brown ale last night that has this exact same oily residue look to it.

My sanitation practices were the same as always. I did use the cascade maple bacon candi syrup in the boil and thought maybe the bacon bits could cause this look?

My beer looks more like your bottom picture, to the naked eye. When I take a picture though it makes it look worse.

Guys, RDWHAHB. Nothing on the previous page looks like an infection to me. Just normal krausen residuals and yeast rafts.

If you have to ask "is this infected", then it is most likely not infected. If it was, you'd know, there would be no question.

Hello everyone. First post. I saw a few people posting and because i just kept second guessing myself I figured I would post pictures of my own brew that I am having doubts about. This is only my 5th batch so I am very new at this...also my first dark beer. This is a coffee porter and it is about a week into fermentation. Saw these white bubbles and I'm not sure what they are. Please take a look. Any help would be appreciated.

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Man I thought I would never have to post in here but what the heck is on the walls? I've never had krausen stick like that before. What do y'all think about this batch? Still good?

IMG_1300.jpg

That's strange.....not because of the krausen, but because I don't think I've ever had a batch where krausen did NOT stick to the walls like that. But yeah that looks like every brew for me:

20161105_181050.jpg

20161105_181103.jpg

That's no infection. If you want to see an infection go to google images and search for "blue waffle" :D

Anyone ever get a very faint oil look on top of their brew when using vanilla beans?

YES! That happened to me on the first vanilla Porter I brewed. Mine was a kit from northern brewer;extract with steeping grains then added vanilla beans after primary fermentation slowed down. I think that did lead to some kind of infection. That beer tasted terrible not sure if it was the vanilla beans to blame or what but I had to dump the batch after I bottled. I am not saying yours is infected I don't know but when I brewed my next batch I will probably put the vanilla beans in a Mason jar of vodka to extract the flavor and make it possibly more sanitary

I got these little round, pebble-like things in my yeast cake after draining the primary today. Anything to be concerned about? The brew was cold crashed in back room for around 20 hours just before bottling. Probably just above freezing back there

1.7kg Coopers IPA
1kg Brew Enhancer 1
2lb(0.9kg) Amber DME
1kg Brown Sugar
2oz N.Z hops (green stuff in the pics)

25L, 1.058 OG to 1.016 FG

IMG_20161218_153636.jpg

IMG_20161218_153922.jpg

I got these little round, pebble-like things in my yeast cake after draining the primary today. Anything to be concerned about? The brew was cold crashed in back room for around 20 hours just before bottling. Probably just above freezing back there

1.7kg Coopers IPA
1kg Brew Enhancer 1
2lb(0.9kg) Amber DME
1kg Brown Sugar
2oz N.Z hops (green stuff in the pics)

25L, 1.058 OG to 1.016 FG

Could be just some interesting flocculation?

4GpdRGS.jpg

Can anyone tell whether this is an infection? This is day 5 in primary with cold hop added too early..

Back