Post NHC blues...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman !

Reaction score
So I was at NHC this past weekend. I have a bad case of the post NHC blues.

I won't be attending any awesome homebrew lectures today.

I can't walk over to the exhibit area and taste a dozen good homebrews and gawk at shiny homebrewing hardware.

There is no pro night or club night tonight. And we aren't going to visit any of the 103 breweries in San Diego. Nor will I get a White Labs tour.

Siiiggghhh. Back to reality.

PS. I never did find Yooper !

I've never seen so many sours, lambics, flanders, ciders, meads and fruit beers in all my life and many of them were excellent. It was incredible. I'm sad.

Club night was so awesome being outside. The temperature was just right.

I had a beer in the airport yesterday and talked homebrew with a few brewers while waiting for my plane. But today... nothing !

You could start planning for next year, I read it's in Baltimore? Did they say where specifically? For you guys who have been to one, is there some specific time you start booking rooms and stuff? Since this next ones on the east coast I'm planning to go :)

I highly recommend going. Its quite an experience.

I won't be going to Baltimore. I'll wait for a midwest or west coast NHC.

I won't be going to Baltimore either. When I lived there, I could name only one brewery within a 50 mile radius. From what I heard from the attendees who lived there, even though it has more breweries open in the past few years, it still has a lot of catching up to do.

So I was at NHC this past weekend. I have a bad case of the post NHC blues.

I won't be attending any awesome homebrew lectures today.

I can't walk over to the exhibit area and taste a dozen good homebrews and gawk at shiny homebrewing hardware.

There is no pro night or club night tonight. And we aren't going to visit any of the 103 breweries in San Diego. Nor will I get a White Labs tour.

Siiiggghhh. Back to reality.

I cannot believe that we never got a chance to meet! It seems like I was always around- at the seminars, at the hospitality area, and at club night and the pro Brewers night- but there were thousands of people around and I never did bump into some of the people I was hoping to see.

I am still in San Diego, having some great beers but I am heading home tomorrow. Time to get back to reality, I guess.

I can't be the only attendee who is still thinking about NHC and remembering some of the cool stuff, wishing a little it wasn't over already, stuff like that. Wish I had more/closer brewing buddies I could talk it over with in person, or a specific meeting with my club (Yeastside Brewers) to debrief or whatever. It was so cool, you know?

So, what were some of your favorite parts?

When I left, I had a stack of books, ready to take take and have signed. Since I was with my family and I didn't really want to take time/space to have them all signed, I decided to just take my Mosher books, so I left almost all my brewing library at home. I went to Mosher's seminar on Saturday, and got his new book (Mastering Homebrew) and his seminar was great, and he was a real cool guy to talk with a minute.

I talked with Palmer at the same time, let him know I refer to his book every time I brew and I read it like 3 times before I got my first gear and started brewing.

I also met and talked with Vinnie Cilurzo, who was cool, and went to his seminar. Got a bottle of Ron Mexico and about 5oz of HBC438 hops, plus the Ballast Point and Rip Current commemorative beers to drink at a later date. Those should be great.

Lots of swag at all the booths, hat and shirt from Wyeast, talked with the guys from Boston Beer, Ballast Point, other cool places.

I passed the BJCP tasting exam last year, went to some BJCP meetings, talked with Gordon Strong a bit and other skilled/experienced judges.

I was standing in line and a guy walked by with a coffee pot of his homebrew, poured us a taster and I laughed with the guy next to me about how nowhere else would a person previously unknown to me walk up with a pitcher of drink, which he would offer and I'd gladly accept a sample of, and then actually drink it happily, and it would be tasty and satisfying, hahaha. Such a cool place and group of people.

I met guys and gals from all over, but I guess the two dudes from Munich were probably the farthest-travelled people I met.

I spent half the time hanging out with my family, away from the conference in SanD. If I was there 24/7 for all three days, I'd have had even more cool experiences.

If you have any cool things, I wanna hear about it. What was memorable for you?

NkThere are so many things that stand out in my mind but here are the two that come to mind first.

Sandy Cockerham and I debating whether her new silicone pint glass from the Austin zealots would sink or float. In true David letterman fashion we tested our hypotheses. I was right, and she was wrong.she had to take off her sweatshirt to reach deep into the fountain to get her pint glass back out. It sank fast like a rock. I never thought I would be playing "will it sink or will it float?" in fountain with a member of our AHA governing committee.

Moment number two was when I saw a very unusual beer style in a club with no line and I knew that @mabrungard would be interested as well so I grabbed him and went back to the booth. When we got there Randy Mosher was in conversation with the Brewer and he was delighted to have an in-depth conversation on the style with two masters of beer styles. The cool thing was the Brewer had no idea who Randy was until he gave him his business card and then he was so happy to have had that conversation. I love it when there are discoveries like that and the Brewer gets the chance to talk to an expert about it.

i had many highlights, certainly one of them was having Vinnie pour me some Beatification from a 3 liter bottle :rockin:

that's something of a feat. yooper was everywhere!

Club night was so awesome being outside. The temperature was just right.
this can't be said often enough. having pro night and club night under the palm trees, in perfect weather (low 70's, light breeze) was another one of my highlights.

doubtful that these events will be outside in B'more next year. i got off the plane at BWI airport (between b'more and DC) and it was 95*F and 100% humidity - AKA gross. no way anyone wants to hang out in that swampy mess all night!

You could start planning for next year, I read it's in Baltimore? Did they say where specifically? For you guys who have been to one, is there some specific time you start booking rooms and stuff?
yes, NHC2016 will be in baltimore. exact location hasn't been disclosed, that i know of, but i suspect it will be the Baltimore Convention Center. then again there are a few big hotels with lots of meeting space, so could be somewhere else. if you want to stay at the "official" hotel, you'll need to wait until early 2016. registration starts in february/march, and after you buy your ticket you can sign up for an official room (with the group discount rate, in san diego it was $150/night).

Moment number two was when I saw a very unusual beer style (...) Randy Mosher was in conversation with the Brewer and he was delighted to have an in-depth conversation on the style
what was the style?!?

yes, NHC2016 will be in baltimore. exact location hasn't been disclosed, that i know of, but i suspect it will be the Baltimore Convention Center. then again there are a few big hotels with lots of meeting space, so could be somewhere else. if you want to stay at the "official" hotel, you'll need to wait until early 2016. registration starts in february/march, and after you buy your ticket you can sign up for an official room (with the group discount rate, in san diego it was $150/night).

Thanks for the info, jealous of all you that went this year but look forward to experiencing it next year!

Do any of you remember the Yeastside bar on club night? Near the main doors to the Conference Center, a guy on the logo is holding a glass up, wearing welding goggles...

Color me so jealous. I'm really hoping that I'll get to attend next year. This year, there was just no way - for one, we have a baby due any day now. :)

I'd like that, but you know you can't sit still and pour beers all night. We'd have to hire some pourers like the pros do...

Ha! No, what I actually meant was to have a vendor booth during the expo. Unless the seminars change, and get more advanced topics, I don't think I would even go to any seminars next year. My suggestions for next year is to have a track. What I mean is have some seminars for beginners, some seminars for intermediate/advanced Brewers, because it seems like the seminars are taught at the lowest common denominator her and much of the information is helpful, but basic. In Philadelphia, we did have some mashing science seminars for those who felt that they had mastered the basics. If there was a beginner/intermediate and an intermediate/advanced "track", I think that it would be more useful to everyone.

Color me so jealous. I'm really hoping that I'll get to attend next year. This year, there was just no way - for one, we have a baby due any day now. :)

Congrats on the new upcoming arrival!

As someone who doesn't really know much about this conference, I have a lot of questions. It sounds like a lot of fun, and I'd love to attend, but from what I understand, you have to be an AHA member, is that correct? And as a Canadian, it would be tricky for me to enter into the homebrew competition. How much does a weekend-pass ticket usually cost? How many days does the conference run for? Is it always the same weekend every year? Are you sure it's going to be in Baltimore next year? What's this about people bringing their own beer to serve? Do you just bring a keg? Does the conference provide CO2, taps, and cups? Is there a night where homebrewers just sit around and sample each others' beers? What's this "pro night" business - is it a competition, or just a showcase of breweries' beers? Their regular ones or one-offs for the conference?

So many questions!

Is there a night where homebrewers just sit around and sample each others' beers?

A night?

More like 24/7 for ~4-5 days. :) :drunk:

you have to be an AHA member, is that correct?

Yes, to go to the conference, you need to be an AHA member.

And as a Canadian, it would be tricky for me to enter into the homebrew competition.

You don't have to enter the competition to go to the conference. Several thousand that attend don't enter the competition.

How much does a weekend-pass ticket usually cost?

Usually ~$250-ish

How many days does the conference run for?

The conference runs Thursday to Saturday night, but there's other events associated with the conference all week leading up to it.

Is it always the same weekend every year?

Usually. Mid-June seems to be when it is.

Are you sure it's going to be in Baltimore next year?

Yes.

What's this about people bringing their own beer to serve? Do you just bring a keg? Does the conference provide CO2, taps, and cups?

People bring kegs, bottles, etc...

At the hospitality suite, homebrew clubs bring kegs to pour on the AHA's tap system. At club night, the clubs are on their own for equipment. For the rest of the time, there's non-stop bottle sharing, keg pouring, etc...

What's this "pro night" business - is it a competition, or just a showcase of breweries' beers? Their regular ones or one-offs for the conference?

When they have it, it's pretty much like a beer fest - professional breweries pouring lots of their stuff (often their normal stuff, but also some other stuff)

Thanks, @AZ_IPA. What about cost? When sampling beers, do you pay per glass? Is it a cash or ticket-based system? Or does your weekend pass include unlimited samples of whatever's pouring? Around here (Ontario), it's illegal for breweries to give away free beer at an event charging admission, so the concept of NOT paying $4 for each and every half-glass of beer individually seems foreign to me.

Nah, generally, all the beers/meads/ciders are "free" once you're at the conference.

Of course, most of us end up dropping a lot of coin at local breweries & bottle shops to get stuff we can't get back home.

At Club night, pro night, banquet, hospitality suite, seminars, etc....all the "pours" don't cost anything and there's no ticket system to try to limit consumption. ;)

I'm having the "I'm in San Diego but I was too busy to go" blues.

It's been going on for almost a week now...

I am having the... why can't I sleep? why can't I stay awake? why is my pee like toothpaste? - I suspect this is what yeast feels like after being tossed into a high gravity beer. I was running on pure adrenaline by the end. So cool to meet so many of y'all! And NOBODY, not even Soper, can keep up with Yooper.

I need a nap now.

Just to add to what AZ_IPA said...

What's this about people bringing their own beer to serve? Do you just bring a keg?
This depends. On club night and in the social club area of the expo, there are usually keg setups for local and guest clubs to pour. But traditionally, you might also find another guy in a seminar next to you pop a bottle and pass it around.
Is there a night where homebrewers just sit around and sample each others' beers?
Yeah, it's pretty much every night (and day for that matter).
What's this "pro night" business - is it a competition, or just a showcase of breweries' beers?
Just a showcase.
Their regular ones or one-offs for the conference?
Both in some cases.
What about cost? When sampling beers, do you pay per glass? Is it a cash or ticket-based system? Or does your weekend pass include unlimited samples of whatever's pouring?
None of the beers served at the conference are charged to you (outside of what you're already paying for the conference). If you choose to take side trips or have beverages at the hotel or nearby pubs, you'll have to pay for those.
Around here (Ontario), it's illegal for breweries to give away free beer at an event charging admission, so the concept of NOT paying $4 for each and every half-glass of beer individually seems foreign to me.
Laws vary greatly by state and locale. For example, here breweries can give beer to a registered charity for an event, but cannot provide personnel to pour. So, for events, the brewery reps can be present at the table, but can't serve you.

I am having the... why can't I sleep? why can't I stay awake? why is my pee like toothpaste? - I suspect this is what yeast feels like after being tossed into a high gravity beer. I was running on pure adrenaline by the end. So cool to meet so many of y'all! And NOBODY, not even Soper, can keep up with Yooper.

I need a nap now.

Why ask why?

I mean, why couldn't the airlines put me on a plane today? Why oh why can they maybe not do so tomorrow ? Why could they not provide a hotel voucher? Why have I sat from 730 this morning all alone contemplating how nice it would be to eventually get to go home ? Why oh why did I packed such a heavy suitcase so that I can't take a walk or go to the beach? why wouldn't the airline keep my luggage at the airport until they find a place for me ? Why must I lug it everywhere I go ? Why did I spend the entire afternoon on phone with a customer service representative who can't give this customer any service ?

I really, really, really hate Delta Airlines. I love San Diego but not from inside the airport. Thank goodness I have a friend only about a 40 minute drive out of San Diego so I was able to at least find a place to stay and the airline did provide cab fare. Unfortunately, she is not home so I am stuck here by myself.

Did I mention that I really really hate Delta Airlines?

Yep. Delta. Never again ever for me.

Sorry you are stuck. This just feels like 3 mornings of hangovers are slowly unrolling. Has to end soon. Get home safe! Bob needs you.

I love San Diego but not from inside the airport. Thank goodness I have a friend only about a 40 minute drive out of San Diego so I was able to at least find a place to stay and the airline did provide cab fare. Unfortunately, she is not home so I am stuck here by myself.

Did I mention that I really really hate Delta Airlines?

Sorry to hear that you got bumped going back home too! I've had 2 of the longest workdays in recent memory and already know that I'm headed for a 120 mile one-way drive to help in another territory in the high desert and the >90*F temps after 5 days in SD and it never hitting 72*F!

Luv Ya Yooper!

Holy, crap, how does all that BS happen?? You buy a ticket, you get on plane, you go home? I don't' think the weather was a problem, right?

Weather was a bit crappy for San Diego. Hurricane off the coast of Mexico had it overcast and misting a lot of the time. Weather at night was more typically San Diego, though, IME which was nice for the outdoor activities.

Weather was a bit crappy for San Diego. Hurricane off the coast of Mexico had it overcast and misting a lot of the time. Weather at night was more typically San Diego, though, IME which was nice for the outdoor activities.

Overcast and misting is NORMAL weather! :D

I'll be sure to avoid Delta next year when we go to NHC.

Overcast and misting is NORMAL weather! :D

I'll be sure to avoid Delta next year when we go to NHC.

I am on a plane! It's only going to Minneapolis but it is heading east! I have to fly standby after that- and its 50/50.

I had a moment a few minutes ago when my boarding pass didn't work, and it was the same gate agent as yesterday when I was supposed to go to LAX. But I did get on a plane!

Unfortunately only delta goes to the very few airports near where I could fly. I have a 1.5 hour drive from the airport when this nightmare is over.

Holy, crap, how does all that BS happen?? You buy a ticket, you get on plane, you go home? I don't' think the weather was a problem, right?

Right. Oversold seats and lack of flights and planes caused this mess. Weather has been awesome the last few days.

I won't bore you with details, but they asked me to pay $50 today for the privilege of flying standby after they cancelled my flight!!!!!!! Then pay if I wanted to have a seat on the plane with "comfort" seating. Delta sucks.

I didn't get to meet any one from HBT,our club served at social club on club night from 3-5 then at club night itself.
any one make it to our booth? we hade the lego movie as our theme.

every beer is awesome!

Back