2015 NHC San Diego

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petesgalaxy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We are trying to make plans to attend NHC in San Diego in 2015, but I keep seeing news that the state of Ca. has not pass the bill to allow it to happen. Does anyone have the latest status of this. What happens if it doesn't pass ? Where does it move to, or will it just be cancelled. I know this may seem early to some, but state government moves at a snails pace, and we have to make sure we can get vacation off work, and travel arrangemants. Plus, the San Diego brew clubs that are hostng, have at least a years worth of work to do before an event this size. Any info would be appreciated.

The bill passed the Assembly and is now in the Senate. Procedurally, it is on its third read, and should have not trouble passing. I have not seen a negative vote in any of the steps. Once it passes the Senate, I believe it is off to the Governor to sign. Here is the latest:

CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE : A.B. No. 2609
AUTHOR(S) : Nestande (Coauthors: Mansoor, Waldron, and Wilk)
(Coauthor: Senator Knight).
TOPIC : Home brewers and home winemakers.
HOUSE LOCATION : SEN
+LAST AMENDED DATE : 07/01/2014

TYPE OF BILL :
Active
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 07/02/2014
LAST HIST. ACTION : Read second time. Ordered to third reading.
FILE : SEN THIRD READING
FILE DATE : 07/03/2014
ITEM : 218

COMM. LOCATION : SEN APPROPRIATIONS
COMM. ACTION DATE : 06/23/2014
COMM. ACTION : Senate Rule 28.8.

TITLE : An act to amend Section 23356.2 of the Business and
Professions Code, relating to alcoholic beverages.

Slight correction, we expect the legislation to go up for a vote in Full Senate we think August 4. Then it goes back to Legislature to approve all the amendments by the Senate, then to the Governor.

Slight correction, we expect the legislation to go up for a vote in Full Senate we think August 4. Then it goes back to Legislature to approve all the amendments by the Senate, then to the Governor.

Extremely happy that it has so far gone through without a single NO vote!! I am hoping common sense will prevail. However.....have you seen some of the amendments that have been attached to the bill? Some of them are just crazy.....The AHA is going to have to submit all of our names to the CA ABC when they have the NHC??:drunk:

I'm hoping this goes through. I've never been to SoCal (although I've spent plenty of time in NorCal), and have already starting budgeting time and money to go. I missed Grand Rapids this year, and will plan on going wherever it ends up next year. But I'd love to visit San Diego. If only because the weather is supposed to be infinitely better than the soupy hellhole I live in now.

I quickly read the current version. It looks like the event must notify the ABC of the nunber of attendees. And cannot sell membership at the door. I don't see a requirement to provide names of attendees.

Can one of you give me the cliff notes version of why the new legislation is necessary and what it does?

Can one of you give me the cliff notes version of why the new legislation is necessary and what it does?

Here's a quick summary. (Also, the ABC in their FAQ on their site also indicates that their view is it is illegal to share Homebrew at club mettings, and illegal to do brewing demonstrations at LHBS's. This law does not address those issues. It is fortunate that the ABC is so small they can't enforce what they want - my opinion).

From the AHA.
June 30, 2014

Dear California AHA Member,

Your action is needed now to ensure passage of AB 2609, a bill that will allow homebrewer organizations to host homebrew events in the state of California like the Southern California Homebrewers Festival and the AHA National Homebrewers Conference.

Last year, the California legislature passed a well-intentioned bill, AB 1425, which had the unfortunate consequence of making it illegal for nonprofit homebrewer organizations to host homebrew events like those cited above.

If passed, AB 2609 will once again allow the California Homebrewers Association to organize the Southern California Homebrewers Festival, an annual event attended by 2,000 homebrewers that had to be cancelled this year due to the change in law. Without passage of AB 2609, the AHA may be forced to cancel or relocate the 2015 AHA National Homebrewers Conference planned for San Diego.

In June, the Senate Governmental Organization Committee passed the bill unanimously, following undisputed votes in the Assembly and Assembly Governmental Organization Committee.

How Can You Help?

AB 2609 will soon be brought to a vote before the full Senate. Please call or email the state Senator for your district and politely urge him/her to vote in favor of AB 2609.

Thank you for your support of homebrewers. Your action could make the difference in whether or not this legislation becomes law. Please forward this message to other California residents and businesses that may be interested in supporting this bill.

Sincerely,

Gary Glass
Director
American Homebrewers Association

See also:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/socal-homebrew-fest-needs-your-help-455479/index2.html

I quickly read the current version. It looks like the event must notify the ABC of the nunber of attendees. And cannot sell membership at the door. I don't see a requirement to provide names of attendees.

Oh good...looks like they dropped the name requirement!! Of course they added this which is a bit confusing:drunk: 4) Beer or wine produced pursuant to this section may only be provided or served to the public pursuant to paragraphs (1) and (3) within a clearly identified area, that includes, but is not limited to, a physical barrier with a monitored point of entry. Beer or wine produced by a beer manufacturer or winegrower as defined in Sections 23012 and 23013, respectively, and licensed by the department, shall not be provided or served to the public within this area.

So when I donate homebrew to charity I have to have a seperate area then the other commerically available beer/wine? Seems a bit ridiculous.....

Oh good...looks like they dropped the name requirement!! Of course they added this which is a bit confusing:drunk: 4) Beer or wine produced pursuant to this section may only be provided or served to the public pursuant to paragraphs (1) and (3) within a clearly identified area, that includes, but is not limited to, a physical barrier with a monitored point of entry. Beer or wine produced by a beer manufacturer or winegrower as defined in Sections 23012 and 23013, respectively, and licensed by the department, shall not be provided or served to the public within this area.

So when I donate homebrew to charity I have to have a seperate area then the other commerically available beer/wine? Seems a bit ridiculous.....

Huh. Now, I know that they changed the whole Pro-Night thing this year, but I wonder what the implications of that would be if pro beer and homebrew can't be served in the same area....

I would think that if it's held at a hotel or convention center, there would be different rooms for homebrew and probrew. That would meet the physical barrier requirement.

CURRENT BILL STATUS

TYPE OF BILL :
Active
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

FILE DATE : 08/04/2014
ITEM : 225

Looks like it should finish its journey in the Senate on 8/4/14 if have understand the process correctly.

CURRENT BILL STATUS

TYPE OF BILL :
Active
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

FILE DATE : 08/04/2014
ITEM : 225

Looks like it should finish its journey in the Senate on 8/4/14 if have understand the process correctly.

Awesome!! I just hope they don't put in anymore ridiculous amendments that will never be enforced anyways.

So now that it is all official, who is going and is the Banquet something many attend? It's $65 now, I'd kind of rather go to the steakhouse around the corner. :)

So who provides the beer for all the other activites (other than club night)? I assume the beer must be flowing and free for during the presentations.

So now that it is all official, who is going and is the Banquet something many attend? It's $65 now, I'd kind of rather go to the steakhouse around the corner. :)

In 2013, in Philly, I attended the "banquet." It was OK, but you can do better elsewhere, price, food, beer, and time wise. That is, if you don't want to join in with the ceremonial awards ambiance at the end, which is about all the banquet is for.

Like the Lizard said, it's nice to do it once. I've done it a few times, and the HomeBrew Chef, Sean Paxton, was the chef the last few times. You stand in line a long time, and as soon as the doors open, everyone races in to 'hold' a table to sit with their club/friends. The food is good (not great, at least in my opinion) and the company at your table is usually great.

If you're going, I'll skip out with you and play hooky and go around the block with you somewhere. It's a LONG night, and after dinner comes the awards. That part is fun- in Philly, pjj2ba won a medal, and last year AZ_IPA won the Ninkasi and some medals- but usually it's more of a yawn if you don't know anyone in the crowd. (sorry to say that, and if I win a seat on the AHA Governing Committee, I may have to retract that..........) It's just a very long night.

In Philly, I skipped it and went out for a slice of pizza across the street for $1.50, then went for a pint of Pliny the Elder for $6, and had a great time. Then I caught up with the HBT gang afterwards.

If you're going with friends, the banquet is fun. And it's worth doing once if you want an interesting meal with beer pairings.

I've been going for 6 years straight and by far the best was Philly where I sat with my club and watched a fellow member accept a gold medal. That's what it's all about. Other years, I ended up at a table with strangers and made the best of it, but that never felt worth it since the food was only decent. I skipped the banquet last year in Grand Rapids and caught an early flight home and I think I'm going to do that again this year. It appears that very few, if any, of my club members are making the trip out this time.

Like the Lizard said, it's nice to do it once. I've done it a few times, and the HomeBrew Chef, Sean Paxton, was the chef the last few times. You stand in line a long time, and as soon as the doors open, everyone races in to 'hold' a table to sit with their club/friends. The food is good (not great, at least in my opinion) and the company at your table is usually great.

If you're going, I'll skip out with you and play hooky and go around the block with you somewhere. It's a LONG night, and after dinner comes the awards. That part is fun- in Philly, pjj2ba won a medal, and last year AZ_IPA won the Ninkasi and some medals- but usually it's more of a yawn if you don't know anyone in the crowd. (sorry to say that, and if I win a seat on the AHA Governing Committee, I may have to retract that..........) It's just a very long night.

In Philly, I skipped it and went out for a slice of pizza across the street for $1.50, then went for a pint of Pliny the Elder for $6, and had a great time. Then I caught up with the HBT gang afterwards.

If you're going with friends, the banquet is fun. And it's worth doing once if you want an interesting meal with beer pairings.

In 2013, in Philly, I attended the "banquet." It was OK, but you can do better elsewhere, price, food, beer, and time wise. That is, if you don't want to join in with the ceremonial awards ambiance at the end, which is about all the banquet is for.
Good feedback. I will be going alone. I was going to take my nephew, but the guest must be a member of AHA and he's not a brewer and doesn't really have the interest, yet. I assumed I would make some buddies there, I'm usually pretty okay doing that. I'll take you up on the offer to skip out if you're not on the committee. :)

It will be my first NHC. I figured it could be fun and informative. Also, I'm from Orange County, so SD isn't too far from friends and family. I think I'll skip the banquet though.

FWIW, I thought the food in Grand Rapids was by far the best I've had at any NHC banquet. Philly was highly mediocre except for dessert. I could see skipping if I didn't have entries/friends with entries hoping for medals, but if I can go, I plan to be in it to win it. :D

hope I can go/see a bunch of you there--
--Michael

My wife and I are both going. Got registered already. She's from SD and we have family there, so it'll be a dual purpose trip. There's also a Hotel and golf course across the street, so we might spend a little time there as well. This will be our first time going to NHC, and we will be attending the Banquet. Might as well do the full deal, all three days. Also, as far as I know, we are the only two from our club going down.

Make sure you go to the brewing network party. It was perhaps my favorite part of last year's NHC.

Back