First Timer's Thoughts on NHC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hausofstrauss

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This year I got to attend my first NHC. I've been brewing since the Summer of 2011, but didn't have an opportunity to go previously. Since I'm in Indy and it was only a 4 hour drive to Grand Rapids, it was an easy sell.

We always do a long weekend trip somewhere each summer that is typically within driving distance from our home on the northeast side of Indianapolis. I’m always looking for ways to incorporate beer into that trip. I somehow tricked my wife into coming with me by telling her it would be our weekend getaway for the summer. One of the things that did help get her excited was reading letter to the editor from the wife of a homebrewer in the November/December 2013 Issue of Zymurgy that talked about how it was cool when women attend NHC.

This was my first realistic chance to attend NHC, since I’ve started brewing. Although a bit pricey from the outside, I can say for a true beer geek, it is worth the cost of admission. I’m just going to give a review of our trip from a newbie’s perspective and try to keep it as short as possible.

Evening Events
Welcome Reception (formerly, Pro-Brewers Night)

Overall, we were disappointed in the welcome reception for two reasons.

One, those serving the beer were merely employees of the convention hall and couldn’t answer anything about the beers they were serving. Perhaps there is a good reason for it, but it would have been nice if each beer served had representation from the brewery that made it. At a minimum, it would have been helpful for each beer to have an explanation beyond just a name and type.

Two, honestly, I was a bit disappointed in the offerings. Nothing really blew me away.

It was cool that almost all the breweries represented were from Michigan, but again, no representation. And that’s all I’ve got to say about that!

Club Night

Ok, so as disappointed as we were in the welcome reception, we loved Club Night. Almost everything I tried was spectacular or was at least something I had never before tasted. Variations on mead, a Braggot, Kombucha and some other interesting twists. We only made it to about a third of the booths, because we were having such a good time talking to the brewers, meeting new people and trying the beer. Before we knew it, the lights were dimming and we all reluctantly (but politely) vacated the premises.

I've done a pretty extensive review of my visit, so you may want to head over to my blog to get the full dissertation.

Part 1: Evening Events
Part 2: Seminars
Part 3: Homebrew Expo
Part 4: Other highlights and parting thoughts

Excellent write up. I attended with a buddy for the first time. Overall, I thought it was great. Denny Conn was awesome, approachable and a very funny guy. John Palmer and John Blichmann were equally cool. Even though they were mobbed, they both stopped to talk.

One thing that I would have liked to see was a list of evening/night activities that weren't NHC sponsored. Perhaps club outings, pub crawls, etc.

Here's hoping for a Chicago convention.

I'll have to read your whole blog, but I agree with your assessment of club night v the reception. Club night was a blast. The reception was kinda meh.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Excellent write up. I attended with a buddy for the first time. Overall, I thought it was great. Denny Conn was awesome, approachable and a very funny guy. John Palmer and John Blichmann were equally cool. Even though they were mobbed, they both stopped to talk.

One thing that I would have liked to see was a list of evening/night activities that weren't NHC sponsored. Perhaps club outings, pub crawls, etc.

I thought he was a jerk....;)

I ran into Denny as well and had the same thoughts. I didn't get to talk to John Blichmann, but was impressed that he was there and talking to customers just as everyone else at his company was doing.

Back