Post harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spintab

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been posted many times already but I'm terrible at searching.

I recently harvested my first years worth of chinook and columbus. Small harvest, only enough for a couple gallon batch at best but I wasn't expecting much. What do you do with the bines after you harvest? I've had them in large pots and intend on moving them into the ground as soon as possible so I'm just curious how the rest of the year usually plays out, post harvest.

Thanks

I just cut them down to harvest, and then they go into the compost pile. I have to mulch heavily here for the winter, but I don't do that until November.

I cut 'em down and toss 'em into the back of a cemetary that bumps up against my front yard. If they look nice in your yard you could leave them for another month or so though I guess. They won't die just yet.

I may still get another mini harvest on them as there were a few cones that weren't quite ready. Regardless of that though I want to make sure there is root growth for as long as possible being young plants. If I cut the bines are the roots still active until it gets cold? If I can get them in the ground and still have time for the roots to spread their wings a little I'd feel like a good parent.

I cut them down and I cut them up THEN I compost them. They are rope tough and if you don't cut them down they are hard to compost.

I inherited four plants this year and I have them in pots. They are four year old plants but they barely produced. I think it's a combination of shock, location, and the pots. So my plan is to find homes for these plants. Beyond that, I mulch, compost, mulch some more.

Basically prep your soil for next year, every year will be better.

homebrewers garden sars leave 15" when you harevest and leave that till 1st frost then cut 1" from ground. I however left closer to 3' as it is wound around my picket fence and looks nice. plus the sidearm growth at this level right now is amaizing. might get another harvest from them(not that i need another )

Doh also forgot to mention depending on where you live it is also recomended that you leave the leftover growth till after the 1st frost(depending on where you live). Then cut to 1" before mulching/composting.

Back