Post boil gypsum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyllstromk

Reaction score
I forgot to add gypsum to my brew during boil. Currently it's bubbling away. I thought about adding it to the sugar solution I add before bottling. Seems like theoretically it doesn't matter when salts are added (at least, after mash, where PH matters). Any thoughts or experience on this?

Assuming you have adequate calcium (50+ ppm) to begin with, then it doesn't really matter. I use gypsum for three reasons: to lower mash pH, for yeast health, and for its flavor contribution.

Do you know your water profile? If not don't blindly add gypsum or any other salt. They have specific purposes as 944play alluded to, but you need to know what you are starting with before adding any more.

GT

Thanks. I know how much I should add from the water profile, I just forgot to. Wanted to make sure timing didn't matter.

The primary use of mineral salts in brewing is to get the mash water composition correct, so in that respect, timing does matter. Add the minerals after adding the grain to the mash.

You can also add minerals to the boil kettle to adjust the additional water volume to the desired profile, but you would do that after adjusting the mash as described.

Back