Possibly killed yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teckmaster0179

Reaction score
I was brewing up an IPA the other day and when it came to pitching the yeast, I read the back of the packet and didn't totally follow directions.

I usually just pitch the yeast into the wort and call it good. Reading the packet, it wanted you to boil a little water and throw the yeast in when it cools. How I read it was throw the yeast into the hot water. Just checked my airlock and I don't really see much going on.

Can I just add another packet of yeast?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Of course. Add another packet or two asap. If you rehydrated the yeast above 110* most of the cells probably died. Good luck!

You need to use a thermometer when rehydrating yeast and for other brewing tasks as well. Get a decent one.

I have all the tools, I just misread the directions. I always just sprinkle the dry yeast on top, wait 10 minutes and stir a couple of times.

Wouldn't even worry about stirring. Just sprinkle the yeast on top and the the yeastys do the rest.

+1 to sprinkling the yeast on top. Pitching doesn't need to be complicated. Tests I have done show that the longer the yeast floats the higher the viability. Details in my book and on my blog.

Thanks for all the good info. Stuck in bed today sick as a dog so i'll be going and getting new yeast tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back