Possibly bad pale malt ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombo80

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So here is the background on this. I bought a 50 pound bag of Breiss pale malt. It has been in a plastic tote except for when I have measured out some grain to crush and make beer.

The majority of the bag was used to make the base for my Utopia clone, which is still aging. My boil off amount was so rediculous that it didn't matter on my efficiency.

Since that time I have made a Hofbrauhaus lager with 8 pounds of this pale malt, along with 1.5 pounds Munich malt, 0.50 pound Cara Hell and 0.25 pound Aromatic malt. My results will be a decent beer, but my efficiency was about 55%, and this was my first try at BIAB.

After that I brewed a Widmer Hef clone. It had 5 pounds of the pale malt, 4 pounds wheat malt, 0.70 pound Munich malt and 0.28 pound Crystal 40L malt. My mash temps were maintained nicely, only loosing a few degrees over a 60 minute mash. This one also ended up with about a 50% efficiency.

Now the other day I brewed a Zywiec pilsner clone that I have made before, and it turned out great. This one had 5.6 pounds of Munich malt and 3.91 pounds of the pale malt, and again I ended up with about 50% efficiency. I even split up the mash water and used 3 gallons to rinse the grains after the mashout.

I have one more brew crushed and ready to mash. This one has 11 pounds of the pale malt and 2 pounds of flaked corn. Once on the boil, two pounds of rice syrup solids get added. If this one hits 50% again I don't know what I will do, probably get really drunk and go into work with a hangover. :drunk:
I don't understand what is going on. Is it possible to have a whole 50 pound bag of malt that is not properly malted ????? :confused:

Please give me your insights. I have rarely ever had a brew go below 70% efficiency brewing with an MLT and batch or fly sparging.

OK, I'm getting off my soapbox now. Thanks

The crush was alot finer than normal. I have read in several BIAB threads that going finer is not an issue, and can actually help increase your efficiency. So I don't think my crush is the issue.

Back