possible infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbanach

Reaction score
I know there's several posts on this subject, however I'm just trying to figure out if I should dump this batch or not. Long story short, I brewed up an irish red ale while I was living with my girlfriend. We broke up, I abandonded my primary fermenter for 2 months, I come back later to keg the beer. I realize there is a mold like substance on the top of the fermenter. I didn't take a pic, but I did a google search and this is what it looks like. I never let a beer sit this long in the primary on a yeast cake, so I'm not sure if this is abnormal since hte krausen usally subsides to the bottom. I kegged it, but is this safe to drink? sour or should I just cut my losses and dump? I did a small sample and it's crystal clear with no sour taste. Thank you in advance for you suggestions and input, much appreciated!

aa.jpg

If it taste fine drink it up the quicker the better. And no worries drinking it won't hurt you at all. Unless you drink the whole batch at once i guess you could get alcohol poisoning but thats about it. Nothing can live in beer that can hurt you.

That is an infection,but as long as you racked from underneith it,it should be ok. just don't let it sit too long. & clean that keg really well.

Yea, if you can keg, carb it up if it tastes good and drink it fast. Don't ever bottle an infected batch, even if it tastes good.

Well I racked it and shared it with some buddies. One of them said it has the aftertaste of apple juice. I'm going to guess this is Acetaldehyde. After almost 2 months, I would consider this a proper amount of "conditioning time", but it was in the primary the whole time. Just thought I would update you guys, thanks for the advice!

Back