Possible Infection? In primary less than 24 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OatMan

Reaction score
Took a look at my wort (couldn't help it) and saw these white spots on the surface. It hasn't started fermenting yet and has only been in primary less than 24 hours, but I was wondering what this is/what I may need to do about it.

IMG_3109-1.jpg

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

It's just getting started on fermentation and looks perfectly normal. Believe me you will see a lot worse than that if you keep opening your bucket. Close the lid and leave it alone for a couple weeks. Your yeast wants it closed and dark for the party.

Welcome to HBT!

just proteins...relax. You should get a glass carboy and you would be very surpised at all the **** floating around. Give it more than 24 hours before you worry...

Is that what yeast looks like when it begins to ferment? And thanks for the response I appreciate it! I'll keep it closed until its done :drunk:

Thanks everyone. I didn't take too long to fall into the foolish noob category it seems!

no....dont mess with it. The white spots are somewhat curious but its still fine. Every ferment i have had looks different. Keep it closed and make sure you sanatize anything that touches it. Im assuming you sanitized and if so then your fine

Maybe it happened because you can't keep from opening up the lid too much.

I can't really tell what's going on, but you're most likely fine. Close the lid and step away until you think fermentation is done and you're ready to take a hydrometer reading.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/post-your-infection-71400/

See the above link for some really nasty infections. Honestly though, it looks like things are going good and the fermentation is getting ready to take off. Just listen to the beer police and let the yeast do its thing. I just transfered my first brew to secondary for dry hopping and I was worried sick as well. Everyone kept telling me to RDWHAHB and I'm going to tell you the same thing. I worried about the beer but in reality you've already done all you can for the beer, now let it be for 10-14 days. :mug:

Also, post as much as you can about the brew, IE: recipe type, yeast type, pitching temp, fermentation temp, ect. so people here can better assist you. :)

The brew pictured is an IPA designed by my LHBS

12oz. crystal malt
9.5 Lbs Light Extract
1.5 oz. Columbus
2 oz. Simcoe
White Labs California Ale Yeast

I pitched the yeast around 78 degrees and its been fermenting around 66-68 degrees. I'll be sure to let it sit for a week or so before I do anything else. All of my brewing supplies were washed and sanitized before usage as well. Thanks for the quick replies, this place is incredibly helpful.

Honestly if the batch is infected at this point there is not a lot you can do about it. It looks normal to me though, some really funky things show up on beer during fermentation. :cross:

It seems like there are 2 things in common with new brewers. They are either impatient or worry to much. It seems like I had both problems. I will pass along a piece of advice handed to me a few years ago.

Don't worry and get started on your next batch. I will give you something to do while you are waiting. It seems like the 1st few batches are the worse in terms of patience.

Cheers!!! :mug:
Chris

An infection doesn't occur that fast. You've got yeast colonies, break materials, or something.

Beer yeast is cultured to be fairly quick starting and that allows it to get out ahead of most bacteria that may be present. Yeast then actively release compounds that make the wort inhospitable to other organisms, namely alcohol and CO2. Mini bio-chemical warfare in a bucket.

Now get brewing another batch so that you leave that one alone.

Mostly...Put the lid on the bucket....and STOP OPENING IT!
We use lids and air locks for a reason...and it's not because it's good to open the fermentor up every few hours.

Welcome...and congratulations...looks like you're going to have beer.

Latest posts

Back