Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ctoph6

Reaction score
Hello all! New home brewer here, and I have a question for those with more experience…I’m brewing a double IPA extract (yeast: LD Carlson Apex Cultures San Diego), and in the morning of day 2 in the fermenter, my beer was forming some white spots that looked similar to other pictures I’ve seen of infection, but about 12 hours later my beer is showing more beige foam than white spots…so it’s looking better now to me, but wanted to ask to others if this is normal or if it looks like the beginning of an infection to you?

Thanks all for your help!
Chris

Attachments

• 08535306-DC81-4B0C-9598-51238C64F692.jpeg
    08535306-DC81-4B0C-9598-51238C64F692.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 0D2101E6-30A2-4C36-97B3-70ED95E198A2.jpeg
    0D2101E6-30A2-4C36-97B3-70ED95E198A2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Welcome to HBT!
Looks like normal krausen (foam) caused by the yeast, part of the process.

Why would you be worried about an infection? If you cleaned all your cold side equipment and everything that touches your cooled wort/beer, and used a sanitizer on it, it should be fine.

Which sanitizer, Starsan?

Thanks for the reply!

Honestly, it’s only my second batch and the white spots in the first picture looked like some pictures I’ve seen of the beginning of some infections, so I just wanted to get some opinions if it looks like normal progress from the yeast making moves or something I should be worried about… I did use Starsan and sanitized everything that could have touched the wort after the boil, so other than being paranoid and inexperienced I don’t have a good reason to fear an infection lol

Appreciate the quick reply!

Put it in a dark place for 2, 3 or even 4 weeks and don't even think about it till then. Keep the ambient temps pretty stable as possible.

Wait till you see a batch of beer with a krausen that fills most of the headspace or is spewing out the top!

Back