Portland thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't think our market will reject $12 5oz pours? Cuz I do.

I'd think they're smarter than to come into Portland with Copenhagen/San Francisco/NYC level pricing. They'll definitely be at/near the Modern Times or Great Notion level, though, and those two places aren't exactly suffering. Again, I think the location is a huge part of this. Plenty of people around there willing to pay.

wYAcfQ3.png

This will be fun.

Another one bites the dust... Columbia River Brewing is closing.

https://www.newschoolbeer.com/2019/05/columbia-river-brewing-is-closing.html

Not really surprising. Never heard much about them, and they didn't really seem to have much of a presence outside their neighborhood. I only made it to their pub once. Seemed like a place that caters to locals & that's it. Hollywood is a weird area of town that I only go to if I have to.

Another one bites the dust... Columbia River Brewing is closing.

https://www.newschoolbeer.com/2019/05/columbia-river-brewing-is-closing.html

Not really surprising. Never heard much about them, and they didn't really seem to have much of a presence outside their neighborhood. I only made it to their pub once. Seemed like a place that caters to locals & that's it. Hollywood is a weird area of town that I only go to if I have to.
In a bet with Meredith, this was my pick for next to close.

Screw patio drinking, you can literally order an 8 glass taster tray of 10%+ Block 15 barrel aged stouts and barleywines at Loyal Legion right now if you want. I’m not doing that (anyone want to take the challenge?), but the list is completely absurd. Might even top the Pfriem one they did a few months back.

oQaDyLr.jpg

fAfqD6U.jpg

Screw patio drinking, you can literally order an 8 glass taster tray of 10%+ Block 15 barrel aged stouts and barleywines at Loyal Legion right now if you want. I’m not doing that (anyone want to take the challenge?), but the list is completely absurd. Might even top the Pfriem one they did a few months back.

oQaDyLr.jpg

fAfqD6U.jpg
Which will cost you about $50. I've fallen into that taster tray trap at Loyal multiple times.

Which will cost you about $50. I've fallen into that taster tray trap at Loyal multiple times.

$32, and if you can find a way to get more deliciously plastered, I’m all ears. I’d also hardly consider it a trap when the prices are clearly listed and you’re getting multiple vintages of barrel aged beers from arguably the best brewery in the state. You could do a whole lot worse.

Last edited:

oQaDyLr.jpg

fAfqD6U.jpg

Holy ****

$32, and if you can find a way to get more deliciously plastered, I’m all ears. I’d also hardly consider it a trap when the prices are clearly listed and you’re getting multiple vintages of barrel aged beers from arguably the best brewery in the state. You could do a whole lot worse.
I didn't mean it as a trap that Loyal sets up. I meant it as, "I get to try a bunch of stuff!" and end up spending $30 on samplers.

I didn't mean it as a trap that Loyal sets up. I meant it as, "I get to try a bunch of stuff!" and end up spending $30 on samplers.
Ah, gotcha. Yes, and I agree when you're just doing it with "normal" beers like standard IPAs, lagers, etc. It doesn't seem like they fluctuate the price much in either direction from $3-$4/4oz. So what seems like a perfectly good value for a tray of BA stuff from Block 15 is a fleecing for the average/everyday tap list.

I will be in Portland next Wednesday to Sunday for a Wedding and hope to meet a few TBers while drinking around town! De Garde trip planned too.

abawol01 gave me some Recos I am pasting here
Breweries to visit for sure(most have good food too):

- Upright

- Little Beast

- Ruse

- Either Breakside

- Belmont Station

- Ex Novo

- Great Notion(if pastry stouts and hazies are your thing)

- Wayfinder

Bars to visit:

- Beer Mongers(I don’t usually go the Wednesday share but I could be convinced)

- Bailey’s/Upper Lip

- Tin Bucket

- Horse Brass
Adding Loyal Legion :D
Also have
MT, HotD, Gigantic, Cascade, Culmination, and Stormbreaker; Apex and Imperial on the radar. As well as Wolves & People and of course McMenamins.

I will be in Portland next Wednesday to Sunday for a Wedding and hope to meet a few TBers while drinking around town! De Garde trip planned too.

abawol01 gave me some Recos I am pasting here

Adding Loyal Legion :D
Also have
MT, HotD, Gigantic, Cascade, Culmination, and Stormbreaker; Apex and Imperial on the radar. As well as Wolves & People and of course McMenamins.

If you're going to Tin Bucket it would be criminal to not get a happy hour margherita from Life of Pie on the same block. Happy hour is 11-6 every day and it's $5 for dine-in only.

If you want to help me drink through some dG bottles, I'd be thankful for the assistance.

abawol01 and of course McMenamins.
???? really?
I mean, go visit Kennedy school and walk around for an hour because it is cool, but then go a mile and a half down the road to Breakside for great beers, could even grab some Tamale Boy on the way.

???? really?
I mean, go visit Kennedy school and walk around for an hour because it is cool, but then go a mile and a half down the road to Breakside for great beers, could even grab some Tamale Boy on the way.

I’m at a McMenamins right now and the hazy Chinook IPA and porter are both solid. Seriously! Their old recipes are bad but some of the new ones are pretty great.

I’m at a McMenamins right now and the hazy Chinook IPA and porter are both solid. Seriously! Their old recipes are bad but some of the new ones are pretty great.
I grab one beer there usually once a year and while some things are ok and some have gotten better, I always think it was a wasted $6 I could have spent at Breakside.

???? really?
KindheartedBestCivet-size_restricted.gif

If you're in PDX and not Germany, holler.

If you're going to Tin Bucket it would be criminal to not get a happy hour margherita from Life of Pie on the same block. Happy hour is 11-6 every day and it's $5 for dine-in only.

If you want to help me drink through some dG bottles, I'd be thankful for the assistance.
I will be packing Tums.

I read this and thought Life of Pie was an interesting name for a Mexican spot and might not need a margarita immediately after Tin Bucket, but that I do like a good happy hour. Then I realized I'm an idiot.

Visiting Portland this weekend, Friday night through Monday afternoon. Excited to finally check out Wayfinder and also have never been to Little Beast. I also made reservations at Han Oak for Saturday based on various positive Eater PDX articles, am I being fooled by internet hype? San Diego's Eater is not always the most reliable source, but the tasting menu example (and price point) were pretty appealing.

I read this and thought Life of Pie was an interesting name for a Mexican spot and might not need a margarita immediately after Tin Bucket, but that I do like a good happy hour. Then I realized I'm an idiot.

Visiting Portland this weekend, Friday night through Monday afternoon. Excited to finally check out Wayfinder and also have never been to Little Beast. I also made reservations at Han Oak for Saturday based on various positive Eater PDX articles, am I being fooled by internet hype? San Diego's Eater is not always the most reliable source, but the tasting menu example (and price point) were pretty appealing.

Eater is pretty on-point for the top-38 list, IMO. Han Oak is worthy. Get the chef's choice menu. Since you obviously like lagers, also make sure you get whatever the new/fresh Pilsner is at Little Beast. I was down at the production facility last week talking to those guys about Brews stuff, they gave me a pour of pilsner, and it was as good as anything I've had outside of Germany/the Czech Republic.

It's also Culmination's 4th Anniversary this week, and they're doing special things daily through Saturday. They have a ton of tasty stuff on, so that will be worth a stop.

Eater is pretty on-point for the top-38 list, IMO. Han Oak is worthy. Get the chef's choice menu. Since you obviously like lagers, also make sure you get whatever the new/fresh Pilsner is at Little Beast. I was down at the production facility last week talking to those guys about Brews stuff, they gave me a pour of pilsner, and it was as good as anything I've had outside of Germany/the Czech Republic.

It's also Culmination's 4th Anniversary this week, and they're doing special things daily through Saturday. They have a ton of tasty stuff on, so that will be worth a stop.
Thanks for the suggestions, will definitely add Culmination to the unnecessarily detailed google map I'm using for a 3 day trip!

Edit: Oh ****, and it's incredible conveniently located, was looking for a place to grab beers before dinner on Saturday, thank you!

Back