Porter Recipe: Too Much Roasted Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCalAngler

Reaction score
I posted this in the recipe area, but it's really a newb question. I brewed a coffee porter and bottled it a couple weeks ago. There is an astringent, almost sour bite to it. I don't believe it is an infection; It is more like the underlying bite that most porters have, just very pronounced. I'm curious if 1) my grain bill is just a bad recipe and 2) will the bite from the roasted barley and pale chocolate mellow out after a couple months in the bottle? Here is my grain bill:

75.7% Light LME 7lbs
10.8% Crystal 60L 1lb
8.1% Pale Chocolate 250L 12oz
5.4% Roasted Barley 8oz

I believe I steeped the grains at 160F for 30 minutes, but I didn't take notes on the steeping temp and it could have been in the 150's.

I personally don't think that is too much dark grain, but I like dark beers. I've made porters with over a pound of chocolate and they turned out fine. Let it age a bit longer and it should mellow out.

Everybodys taste is different. I also like dark beers but lately I've been backing off on the roasted malt. I made a porter several months ago and I believe I used about half of the dark grains that you did. I think it turned out very well.

That sour taste is probably just green. My first porters were not ready to drink for nearly six weeks. Now with every week that goes by the porter just get better and better. I think my porter recipe was very similar to what you have posted.

Porters do take longer to condition, but I'd agree that that is too much roasted barley. That's about what I would put in a stout. I'd say cut it in half and add 2 oz. of Black Patent to bring the color back.

As for the existing batch -
I've made a coffee porter recently (6 months?) and at first the coffee was lost to bitterness, but after about 3 months, it's awesome - the coffee is coming thru delicately...

so advice? wait it out. Funny thing - after my wait, I don't think I want to change my recipe at all...

Back