Portable igloo cooler kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about that coleman 75 quart? That will hold 2 kegs! I assure you that with the amount of ice that the igloo holds; the beer is gone before the ice melts. It takes several days.

If I could get my hands on another corny for cheap definitely... but those 70+ qt coolers are starting in the 100$ range and up around here from the looks of it i'd still need to buy the "top" section to make it sealed.

Only thing Im not sure how it will do camping is that more often then not, we are out on the water on tubes floating around... tends to be easier to lug around 12 pack of cans at a time then maneuvering with a solo cup a keg.

Even so... if I don't find the corny sufficient for camping Ill be definitely using it when I go out to friends places or even having a fire at my place... as thats my main issue right now any time I go out.

If I could get my hands on another corny for cheap definitely... but those 70+ qt coolers are starting in the 100$ range and up around here from the looks of it i'd still need to buy the "top" section to make it sealed.

Only thing Im not sure how it will do camping is that more often then not, we are out on the water on tubes floating around... tends to be easier to lug around 12 pack of cans at a time then maneuvering with a solo cup a keg.

Even so... if I don't find the corny sufficient for camping Ill be definitely using it when I go out to friends places or even having a fire at my place... as thats my main issue right now any time I go out.

I'm just baffled that they cost that much up there. Canada correct?

It's so much easier than bottling a bunch of beer it's unreal. I usually take 3 or 4 week long vacations per year and so far this is awesome.

For my most recent trip that I'm taking later today; I filled one of the 3 gallon kegs right out of the 5 gallon keg. Then I decided I wanted to take some IIPA and some Dead Guy Ale clone so I cleaned up some 22 ouncers. What a total PITA to even bottle a few beers.

Next trip I'm filling 2 of the 3 gallon kegs and taking them both.

I'm just baffled that they cost that much up there. Canada correct?

It's so much easier than bottling a bunch of beer it's unreal. I usually take 3 or 4 week long vacations per year and so far this is awesome.

For my most recent trip that I'm taking later today; I filled one of the 3 gallon kegs right out of the 5 gallon keg. Then I decided I wanted to take some IIPA and some Dead Guy Ale clone so I cleaned up some 22 ouncers. What a total PITA to even bottle a few beers.

Next trip I'm filling 2 of the 3 gallon kegs and taking them both.

Yeap from Canada... and yea tell me about it... its pretty sad that we can purchase stuff from the US, cover the cost of the conversion + pay outrageous shipping costs and still end up ahead vs buying local most of the time.

Yea I was looking at bottling then I remembered why I stopped brewing way back in 2006 lol.. i got tired of bottling beer / cleaning it all takes ages and then you have to worry about keeping your bottles and not leaving them sit around or get too gummed up

haha... either way... both need "work"

1 will offer more much more cooling and ice capacity vs the other, the igloo 70qt cooler would be the best option but the price tag on just that cooler at the moment are a little over priced. Big issue for when i go camping there's nothing for hours in sight so if I run out of ice..... im out of ice... i'd sacrifice the food cooler ice but I dont think the woman would appreciate that too much haha.. i guess time will tell which route i go!

On a side note, im hopefully about to score 2 taps with shanks, couple tap handles, a sanke D coupler and a 2 beer cold plate for around 100 bucks shipped.

Amazon. has the Igloo 70 qt. for $59 with free shipping if you have Amazon Prime:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F6UJ5K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
haha... either way... both need "work"

Gotta love the "it's broke before I even made it" mentality. My 75qt cooler stays cold for a week during the summer if I keep it under shade Andy Latin the full sun.

40$ for the bin
3-4 cans of spray foam insulation at 6$ each
2 cans of flex seal 12.99 each

You're at $83.98 for 3 cans of foam
$89.98 at 4 cans

So now you're talking a few bucks difference for a frank-en-rator that might not work or will end up needing more $ in supplies than expected.

But sounds like you got it figured out, so roll with it. But I think you should take the build to another thread since this one is about the cooler build. There are others who have done similar to what you are talking about. Do a google search and check them out.

Gotta love the "it's broke before I even made it" mentality. My 75qt cooler stays cold for a week during the summer if I keep it under shade Andy Latin the full sun.

You're at $83.98 for 3 cans of foam
$89.98 at 4 cans

So now you're talking a few bucks difference for a frank-en-rator that might not work or will end up needing more $ in supplies than expected.

But sounds like you got it figured out, so roll with it. But I think you should take the build to another thread since this one is about the cooler build. There are others who have done similar to what you are talking about. Do a google search and check them out.

Far from that mentality... both will need "modifications" to work... I have a 5gal corny keg... not 3gal kegs that fit right in the cooler... so I would have to cut a hole in the cooler and buy another 2gal or 5gal water cooler to go ontop of it and make it seal.

I posted in here because I haven't made up my mind on which route I wanted to go... so I would still say it qualifies as "cooler keger"

Also... the igloo cooler on amazon is 97$ Canadian they offer free shipping if you pay for that member ship (no idea if the cooler would fall under over sized shipping or not either) but I don't use em much or at all really. Another catch to shipping from US is the brokerage fee's. Its not so hard to deal with when it comes to private sales but commercial sales like ebay and amazon you get dinged pretty bad quite often.

Anyways.. back on track... You are right their wouldn't be a HUGE cost difference per say between the 2 all said and done.

I have similar 10 gal Igloos for my HLT and MLT. I've used them as a cooler for 5 gal cornies and it works ok. The lid doesn't fit on though, so it's not great for a longer event or weekend. I've thrown a towel or blanket over the top to deal without a lid.

I built a portable kegerator for two 3 gallon kegs. It's identical to the one on the original post. I use the crap out of it when we go on camping trips with a large group, vacations (several through out the year) and going to parties like 4th of July, Halloween, Christmas...etc. I even use it for birthday parties.

As much as I love the thing, I find myself not using it when we go out to the river, lakes or even out fishing. The reason is the thing is just too big when only a few people are out and we're not heavily drinking. So I decided to build a 2 gallon babyrator.

I lucked out and managed to score 3 of the 1 gallon Taylor flavor kegs off Ebay. I paid $50/ea shipped. But that's not bad considering a decent growler is easily $25 and these hold two. Plus I never see them for less than $100 if you can even find them.

Here it is:

It's a 28 quart. The 16 would've been great, but it was about half an inch too small in the width to fit the kegs. One fit fine. But I wanted two. Plus the CO2 would've never fit.
1.jpg

There's the 2 gallon in comparison with the 6 gal version. I know I gotta get that 6 gal one cleaned up.
2.jpg

I had to adjust the regulator to a flat position in order to get it to fit, but there is plenty of room for ice, snacks and some cups too.
3.jpg

I have different faucets installed. One is a ventmatic and the other is a perlick, so they look a little crooked, but they're not. I am going to swap the perlick with my other ventmatic.
4.jpg

This gives perspective next to a 3 gal keg
image.jpg

We're headed out at the end of this week to Lake Chelan in Wa. We stay there from Sat to Sat with a bunch of people, so I always bring the 6 gallon kegerator with several filled 3 gal kegs. But I found it difficult to bring down to the lake with us, so I plan to bring the babyrator too just for that purpose. It also has the wheels and telescopic handle.

I built a portable kegerator for two 3 gallon kegs. It's identical to the one on the original post. I use the crap out of it when we go on camping trips with a large group, vacations (several through out the year) and going to parties like 4th of July, Halloween, Christmas...etc. I even use it for birthday parties.

As much as I love the thing, I find myself not using it when we go out to the river, lakes or even out fishing. The reason is the thing is just too big when only a few people are out and we're not heavily drinking. So I decided build a 2 gallon babyrator.

I lucked out and managed to score 3 of the 1 gallon Taylor flavor kegs off Ebay. I paid $50/ea shipped. But that's not bad considering a decent growler is easily $25 and these hold two. Plus I never see them for less than $100 if you can even find them.

Here it is:

It's a 28 quart. The 16 would've been great, but it was about half an inch too small in the width to fit the kegs. One fit fine. But I wanted two. Plus the CO2 would've never fit.
View attachment 293051

There's the 2 gallon in comparison with the 6 gal version. I know I gotta get that 6 gal one cleaned up.
View attachment 293052

I had to adjust the regulator to a flat position in order to get it to fit, but there is plenty of room for ice, snacks and some cups too.
View attachment 293053

I have different faucets installed. One is a ventmatic and the other is a perlick, so they look a little crooked, but they're not. I am going to swap the prelacy with my other ventmatic.
View attachment 293054

This gives perspective next to a 3 gal keg
View attachment 293450

We're headed out at the end of this week to Lake Chelan in Wa. We stay there from Sat to Sat with a bunch of people, so I always bring the 6 gallon kegerator with several filled 3 gal kegs. But I found it difficult to bring down to the lake with us, so I plan to bring the babyrator too just for that purpose. It also has the wheels and telescopic handle.

Those little kegs look awesome! Gotta find me some...

I bought an Igloo 60 quart cooler and it works fine for one 2 1/2 or 3 gallon corny keg which is all I need plus there is plenty of room left over for the paint ball C02 cannister, regulator, lots of beer line and ice, plenty of ice. If you want two kegs, you need a bigger cooler. See my post on page 38 of this thread.

turds...

thanks for saving me a trip

Amazon sells the cooler in the original post, the same one I use too, for around $50 shipped.

Keep in mind you want the Spartan kegs--these are older and no longer sold--since they have no rubber skirting. The rubber top handle ones are larger in dia. And will never fit in the original post cooler.

The newer Spartanburg kegs are a slight bit too large even after you shave the ~ 1/4" bump from the side rubber. I originally bought the new Spartanburg 3s, but since then I sold them because I came across a deal where I bought 30 of the old Spartan 3s. I sold a bunch of then and eventually acquired more..

Now I'm at 18. I should really consider selling more... I have too many kegs.

Uhh crap. Idk what kinda kegs I have. View attachment 299017

I think those will work. Those are older kegs with racetrack lids. But the main thing is the rubber on the bottom. Does it wrap around the sides or not? You might have to cut the side part off it if does. But I do think those will work.

This is the cooler you want: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F6UJ5K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The price went up like $20, but I'm guessing it will go back down after summer. It was like $48 plus prime shipping when I got it. Walmart also had then for cheap with free shipping.

You sir, are a gentlemen and a scholar. I thank you

My next thought is that my shanks are too long. I picked up everything in that picture for a whopping $300, so I was more in the "shut up and take my money" mindset than anything haha.

You sir, are a gentlemen and a scholar. I thank you

My next thought is that my shanks are too long. I picked up everything in that picture for a whopping $300, so I was more in the "shut up and take my money" mindset than anything haha.

I believe I used 3 1/4" SS shanks for mine. You really don't want them to be too long because you also have the end barb to install and the hose sticks out past that a bit. They will get in the way of the kegs when trying to get them in/out. Too long and you might have a hell of a time. Mine already feel like they're right to that point of being too much in the way.

i didn't pay much for mine only because I scored on most of the materials used to build it. But I love mine. It goes on vacation with us, it goes camping when we have a large group and to friend's parties all the time. I bring it to family get togethers--we have one in 2 weeks and it'll be filled with some hard lemonade I made for a buddies wedding that I want to get rid of.

I use the thing so much during the summer times, and everyone who sees it is obsessed.

It is a bit too much when we go to the river or over to dinner where there aren't a lot of people, so I made the mini one (posted previously) that does up to 2 gallons. That thing is awesome because it's enough for myself and a few people plus it's super light and small. I bring it to softball games, the river/lake...etc.

Mine keeps cold with a bag or two of ice for many days. I do suggest trying to find a method of recycling ice. I use small water bottles, blue packs and I've made a few ice packs utilizing the food saver. This keeps moisture down inside the keg and is cheaper than buying ice.

So the moral of the story is you will use the crap out of that thing if you get out a lot. It's a great tailgating thing too. You can even bring it with you when the lady tries to take you shoe shopping. Just plop a camping chair outside the car and enjoy your day... Haha

hahaha I love it! I'll have to figure out a smooth method of transferring between 5gal cornies to the 3gal, but other than that I'm pretty pumped about this project.

hahaha I love it! I'll have to figure out a smooth method of transferring between 5gal cornies to the 3gal, but other than that I'm pretty pumped about this project.

I brew 10 gal batches pretty much exclusively, sometimes I do 12. I ferment in large kegs, but my process is pretty much the same.

I ferment, cold crash, gelatin to clear and carbonate. Once ready, I use a picnic tap to blow off the yeast around the pick up tube until the line runs clear (couple oz or so)

I then depressurize the fermenter and grab a clean keg that I purged of oxygen. It is depressurized and connected to the fermenter with a liquid to liquid jumper. Then all you do is let the beer flow. I add very low pressure to the fermenter to keep it flowing with out foaming. You have to release pressure from the receiving keg to keep it going. I will use the prv on the lid. The cold beer will condense the outside of the serving keg, so you can keep an eye where the level is, or you can open the lid. But I do it this way to keep it sealed from pitching to serving.

Often times I do this same process to a 5 gal keg. Then I use the jumper to fill my 1 or 3 gal kegs from that one. The portables almost always come out with super clear beer, that way it doesn't shake up yeast when on the move.

To transfer from keg to keg, just get a beer hose and connect it to two beer out ball lock quick disconnects. Attach the beer out quick disconnects to both kegs beer out posts and open the lid or the pressure relief valve on the keg to which you are transferring and let the pressure in the full keg move the beer to the new keg. The hardest part in my experience is not overfilling the new keg, which is why I typically take the new keg's lid off and watch it as it is filling. I also notice that I lose some carbonation during transfer, so I just put the new keg on gas overnight before using it.

4018.jpg

sweet! Both very good things to note. It sounds like transferring from my 5 gal to 3 gal will be a simple thing the night before I need em.

Simple, make a jumper line to connect from one out port of a keg to the out port of the transfer keg. Lower the pressure on the 5 gallons to around 8-10 psi and every now and then, pull the pressure valve a bit on the 3 gallon keg every now and then when you see/hear it slowing down. Don't take the lid off, there is no reason too. Weigh your keg empty then weigh it full with water and use that as reference. You'll know when the keg is full by the condensation on the keg itself or by weighing the keg.

View attachment 1440640744739.jpg

How much ice are you guys putting in these to avoid over cooling the beer? I have the larger cube cooler and I made a lid using expansion foam. So, as a result, several inches of the keg pup up past the insulation. I'll be taking mine, with a 5gal keg in it, to the beach in a few weeks and I'd obviously like to avoid the beer getting too cold.

I'm also currently using a party dispenser that I run down through the insulation and back up and out. I've seen a few setups using these things but I figure that they'd cause foaming. Is that the case?

Never worried about my beer being too cold as long as it doesn't freeze. I just fill the cooler with ice. If the beer is too cold for the style, just let it warm up in the glass after pouring.

So after much searching and test fitting, I think we are stuck using the dang 70qt cooler others have found on Amazon. I was really hoping for a different style that would allow a little room for snacks/food stuff, but I think our selection is limited.

Has anybody thought about making a small collar for their cooler? I saw some custom setups in here, but nothing resembling a collar like a kegerator. Thoughts?

I already have the 70qt igloo cube cooler that I've been using for a single five gallon corny keg. Will two of them fit in the cooler (without a lid, obviously).

Also, is a paintball Co2 tank enough for two five gallon kegs if I'm just using them in the portable setup? I am kinda tired of lugging around my 20lb Co2 cylinder every time I bring my keg along and I'd use that for carbonation prior to taking the kegs away from the house.

I already have the 70qt igloo cube cooler that I've been using for a single five gallon corny keg. Will two of them fit in the cooler (without a lid, obviously).

Also, is a paintball Co2 tank enough for two five gallon kegs if I'm just using them in the portable setup? I am kinda tired of lugging around my 20lb Co2 cylinder every time I bring my keg along and I'd use that for carbonation prior to taking the kegs away from the house.

The paintball tank is plenty. Even a small paintball tank would have enough to dispense 2 kegs.

I doubt you could get 2 in there but maybe with ball locks.

I highly doubt 2x5g tanks will fit. You'd have to get 2x3g if you want variety. I have a 20oz paintball tank and it's plenty for a few weekend trips. You're basically just using it to push the beer out. I use it with the $20 adapter for a regular regulator and use a bicycle water bottle holder for attachment.

I realize that I never did post pics of my finished keg cooler. Shots of it immediately after build, and during it's inaugural usage on a camp trip... I've since put a direct-tap on it rather than the party tap.

As always I appreciate the ideas shared here:

IMG_20140615_172208_460.jpg

IMG_20140615_172234_750.jpg

IMG_20140615_173135_565.jpg

IMG_20140621_102427.jpg

I read through the majority of the thread and now I desperately want one of these for our summer vacations.

I saw mention of AIH 2.5 gallon kegs not fitting but the keg dimensions described are a bit different from the AIH 2.5 gallon kegs I have.

I have 2x of these:
http://www.homebrewing.org/AIH-New-Double-Rubber-Handle-25-Gal-Keg_p_5101.html

Will these fit in any 60 or 70 qt cooler which others have tried? I'm hoping to avoid using a75 qt cooler if possible but will if needed.

Jet.com has the 70 qt igloo cube for just over $50 right now.

for guys wanting to transport larger volume of beer... has anyone measured out a small 5 cubic ft chest freezer to fit a couple corneys or even a half barrel? (nothing would stop you from adding a collar for added room if its not tall enough.

I'd imagine finding a used old one isnt that expensive and gutting it out removing the compressor and what not to make it a little lighter and transportation friendly would be fairly easy to do.

I know weight and size will come into play for some people, but insulation wise the freezer would prob be pretty efficient, cost would be almost the same as buying a new cooler. Wouldnt take much to set it up on wagon wheels or anything in that line.

for guys wanting to transport larger volume of beer... has anyone measured out a small 5 cubic ft chest freezer to fit a couple corneys or even a half barrel? (nothing would stop you from adding a collar for added room if its not tall enough.

I'd imagine finding a used old one isnt that expensive and gutting it out removing the compressor and what not to make it a little lighter and transportation friendly would be fairly easy to do.

I know weight and size will come into play for some people, but insulation wise the freezer would prob be pretty efficient, cost would be almost the same as buying a new cooler. Wouldnt take much to set it up on wagon wheels or anything in that line.
I cannot imagine how would lift it or move it. With 2 full 5 gallon kegs and ice you need some serious strong men to move this.:confused:

I just built a wooden frame and put in foam board insulation, covered it with some white vynal sheet. It will hold 3 cornies with lots of room for ice. I don't have any finished pics but here it is without the taps.

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back