Portable igloo cooler kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very easy. But these aren't Jockey Boxes - these are portable kegerators. Jockey Boxes are basically heat transfer devices where you run lots of copper tubing in the cooler and fill it with ice, the kegs stay outside the box. The setups in this thread actually contain the kegs themselves.

I actually have one of those huge 72 can igloo, wheeled coolers.
However when using a portable kegerator I have to imagine that there is a process of adding ice every few days to keep it cold. Doesnt this become a tedious cycle, especially if you dont have a drink for a week (gasp)!

My thought with a jockey box was that the keg could remain room temp and there is never the fear of having it cool down, warm up, cool down etc....

However I have to imagine making a portable kegarator entails simply drilling a hole in the cooler. Dropping the keg in and running the nitro line in.

Can the nitro tank be stored in the cooler itself?

SWMBO is going to be thrilled that my gears are spinning for another "non-house related" project. Who wants to strip wall paper and repaint the hallway when I can make a portable kegarator!

I think people use these for temporary occasions, not for weeks at a time. My scheme is keep the kegs in the fridge at home, and in the portable setup when I want to transport more than a growler of beer.

I think people use these for temporary occasions, not for weeks at a time. My scheme is keep the kegs in the fridge at home, and in the portable setup when I want to transport more than a growler of beer.

Got it.
I was thinking of it as a cheaper version of a kegarator, which is going to run me $300.
I wanted to leave it on my deck for the summer, filled with beer!

Hey it's your beer and your cooler, and your choice! But leaving it outside in the summer, you're going to spend a LOT on ice!

Hey Wountonsoup,
just curious if you were ever able to fit two of the 3 gallon kegs in a cooler? I have all the parts i need for this except the cooler. Seems like walmart and target are out of any cooler over 60 quarts and those didn't work. I went into the store with my 2 kegs to try them for size just in case. Please let me know or anyone else that used the 3 gallon legs from AIH. Thanks.

I built one exactly the same as OP. I take mine on week (7 days total including driving there and home) long vacations to lake chelan. I fill it with two kegs and ice as we leave. I take two extra full kegs chilled and in those iced blanked neoprene keg glove wraps. The chilled ones stay cold the 6hr drive, but they go in the fridge once we arrive. The other two and cooler sit outside most the time (it gets hot, so I try to keep it in the shade) I only bring it in during the night time or when we leave the house (unless it's to go to the lake, then I take it). I get pretty much the full week out of it before the ice is melted down to nothing but water. Kegs still remain cold though for a bit longer.

I don't fill it with loose ice anymore. I've been freezing used water bottles and gallon size zip lock bags since I hate having to deal with the water. So I will do several in the chest while several are in the freezer as back-up.

Our two day and 5 day beach trips are normally during colder weather. I never have to add ice. So a week is probably the most you would get out of the cooler on warm days. Probably slightly less if it's outside in the sun all the time.

Hey Wountonsoup,
just curious if you were ever able to fit two of the 3 gallon kegs in a cooler? I have all the parts i need for this except the cooler. Seems like walmart and target are out of any cooler over 60 quarts and those didn't work. I went into the store with my 2 kegs to try them for size just in case. Please let me know or anyone else that used the 3 gallon legs from AIH. Thanks.

You're after the 75qt coleman cooler at Lowes. With the molded handles, not the white loose handles, they have different interior dimensions for some reason. I'm not sure if they're still around though. None of the Lowes near me have the molded handled ones anymore.

You're after the 75qt coleman cooler at Lowes. With the molded handles, not the white loose handles, they have different interior dimensions for some reason. I'm not sure if they're still around though. None of the Lowes near me have the molded handled ones anymore.

Yes I got the one with the molded handles, they fit perfectly in there except when you add the pin lock connectors. I went ahead and ordered the short pin lock connectors and they are still too high, the lid won't close. Not sure what to do at this point, I really didn't want to cut into the lid.

Yes I got the one with the molded handles, they fit perfectly in there except when you add the pin lock connectors. I went ahead and ordered the short pin lock connectors and they are still too high, the lid won't close. Not sure what to do at this point, I really didn't want to cut into the lid.

You can convert the kegs to ball lock which saves just enough room to fit. Its still takes some maneuvering but the fittings should line up with recessed areas in the lid in the right position.

I have 16 three gallon Spartan kegs and all of them were pin. I found there was a specific orientation where they both fit with the coupler, but it was a PITA.

So what I did was purchase a couple sets of low profile pin coupler from chi company. They're pin couplers the size of a ball. Worked great and was way cheaper than swapping posts.

I have 16 three gallon Spartan kegs and all of them were pin. I found there was a specific orientation where they both fit with the coupler, but it was a PITA.

So what I did was purchase a couple sets of low profile pin coupler from chi company. They're pin couplers the size of a ball. Worked great and was way cheaper than swapping posts.

I bought the pin couplers from chi company also. So did they for four toy in the same ice chest from lowe's?

I just noticed I don't have the molded handles one.

I just noticed I don't have the molded handles one.

I was just coming back to update this. I was at Lowes and took a quick measurement of the ones without the molded handles and it was the same dimensions listed earlier in this thread. So apparently its just a matter of getting it from Lowes. If you want to check, the Lowes cooler is 20" x 15" x 17" (interior dimensions). This will fit the three gallon kegs.

I was just coming back to update this. I was at Lowes and took a quick measurement of the ones without the molded handles and it was the same dimensions listed earlier in this thread. So apparently its just a matter of getting it from Lowes. If you want to check, the Lowes cooler is 20" x 15" x 17" (interior dimensions). This will fit the three gallon kegs.

Yea I have the lowe's cooler and bought the short pin lock connectors, but the lid won't close. Wondering what everyone with the same stuff did. Did they cut into the lid?

This is my portable setup. I didn't want to have to buy the smaller legs so I wanted to fit my 5 gallon legs in a rolling cooler I already had. So I rigged up a top that just sits on the cooler with the lid removed. It stays cold pretty well and I can just squeeze in two 5 gallon kegs. These pictures are before I installed the taps but you can see were they go. It was made with stuff I had laying around. I only had to purchase minimal hardware for this.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425501068.836594.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425501107.733873.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425501127.598694.jpg

Well i finished mine, I had to cut into the lid a little bit so the lid would close. Here it is.

20sf4i0.jpg

Seriously super pumped by this idea! I'll have to come back to this once it's time to build!

on page 20, MIkes 5 gal cooler... is that a 50 qt cooler?

Im trying to decide which route to go for my 5gal corny sanke d porta keger.... cheapest possible is my goal truthfully.

I can either do the 2 stacked 5gal coolers or the cubed roller cooler and capped top like he did...

I can get 2 of the 5gal coolers for 30$ each and rig up some kind of wheels on it.. mind you for transportation purposes I would imagine its much better to carry vs roll around and shake up the brew.

I plan on using a picnic tap with 6ft beer lines and a 20oz paintball tank with adapter and a tapright gauge (unless I can find cheaper?) more or less just drill a hole on the side at one of the highest points and with the beer line length have it as somewhat of a "retractable" tap that I can just push back in to keep the lines cool and out of the sun.

The cubed 50qt cooler at wallmart is 50 here on its own.. and roughly 30 for the top piece

Why I am considering the cubed build is for space / cooling reasons... I read that the stacked 5gals are very limited on space and most of the time I don't have access to more ice... The cubed may cost a hair more but if it holds a little more ice for longer it would save me more $$ in the long run...

What you guys opinion on both builds? preferences?

on page 20, MIkes 5 gal cooler... is that a 50 qt cooler?

Im trying to decide which route to go for my 5gal corny sanke d porta keger.... cheapest possible is my goal truthfully.

I can either do the 2 stacked 5gal coolers or the cubed roller cooler and capped top like he did...

I can get 2 of the 5gal coolers for 30$ each and rig up some kind of wheels on it.. mind you for transportation purposes I would imagine its much better to carry vs roll around and shake up the brew.

I plan on using a picnic tap with 6ft beer lines and a 20oz paintball tank with adapter and a tapright gauge (unless I can find cheaper?) more or less just drill a hole on the side at one of the highest points and with the beer line length have it as somewhat of a "retractable" tap that I can just push back in to keep the lines cool and out of the sun.

The cubed 50qt cooler at wallmart is 50 here on its own.. and roughly 30 for the top piece

Why I am considering the cubed build is for space / cooling reasons... I read that the stacked 5gals are very limited on space and most of the time I don't have access to more ice... The cubed may cost a hair more but if it holds a little more ice for longer it would save me more $$ in the long run...

What you guys opinion on both builds? preferences?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F6UJ5K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

That is what I bought but it was only $38.99 with free shipping. I see now that they don't offer it. However when I bought it I was looking at Wal Mart and they had it ship to store for the same price.

I only use 1 keg and a 7ft long picnic tap. I have my 10lb co2 tank hooked up outside of my keezer using a bulkhead adapter. I just unhook the regulator for my keezer and plug it into the paintball tank.

Then I hook up the regulator to the pin lock post adapter. All of it fits nicely into the Cube.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE

I just did a search on Wal Mart and the 70 quart is out of stock and the price was increased. Maybe I just bought it at the right time.

I'm sure the 60 quart would work almost as good. Just not as much room.

thanks! yea the 5gal sanky is a bit taller from what ive seen..... shame the cooler is jacked up in price now! I would of loved to go that route but the cost is just too high at what point do you call it quits and just resort to bottling.

Ill need to buy a 2nd coupler no doubt as I want to use my 58L keg to fill my corny when I need it or else i'd def save my cash and swap between the kegs the one.

thanks! yea the 5gal sanky is a bit taller from what ive seen..... shame the cooler is jacked up in price now! I would of loved to go that route but the cost is just too high at what point do you call it quits and just resort to bottling.

Ill need to buy a 2nd coupler no doubt as I want to use my 58L keg to fill my corny when I need it or else i'd def save my cash and swap between the kegs the one.

I would rather pay the extra cash than resort to bottling.

http://www.homebrewing.org/3-Gallon-Cornelius-Style-Pin-Lock-Keg-Used_p_4540.html

I would buy the stuff to use this.

yea... would be great but shipping from US to me those would get $$$ fast.

Ill make the 2 5gal coolers work from the looks of things... i just saw with the link provided they have a "budget" reg / adapter for the paintball cylinders which is perfect for what I want.... still ends up cheaper by a slight bit vs buying it local.. which is sad considering shipping will be 30$ alone for it.

It was extremely easy to just use my current regulator. No need to buy another. My kegs all kept the same pressure when the gas was off.

I bought the adapter for the paintball tank which was $15 and that plugs right into my regulator. It's best to screw the adapter into the regulator first and then screw the paintball tank on. You have to be fast because gas goes everywhere since there's no valve on the paintball tank.

yea that is true! I just wanted to buy another one so its a tapped on and forget type of deal and the fact I wont feel as bad if something happens to it camping vs my 75% tapwrite.

UPDATE

I just did a search on Wal Mart and the 70 quart is out of stock and the price was increased. Maybe I just bought it at the right time.

I'm sure the 60 quart would work almost as good. Just not as much room.

My guess is it's only a temp increase for the holiday and possibly for the summer.

yea that is true! I just wanted to buy another one so its a tapped on and forget type of deal and the fact I wont feel as bad if something happens to it camping vs my 75% tapwrite.

I have the taprite gauge guard and nothing will happen to it :)

As silentdrinker stated the price increase may only be temporary for the cooler.

Dang I wish I would've bought that 75 quart coleman instead of the igloo cube.

alright... so been shoping around and trying to see if this would work before dropping $$ on it...

let me know your ideas...

a can get a plastic bin dimensions 17½ d x 15 w x 26¾ h" which is pretty well exactly what you need to 1 corny keg in it.

I was thinking on using an expanding insulation spray can foam in the interior... now the solution to preventing the foam from getting water logged and molding.. I was debating on wether a rubber sealer would work such as Leak seal.

Basically i'd build a box wall inside inbetween that fill with it with the insulation and then coat the boxed wall with the sealer, all i'd need to do is drill in a tap to drain the water from the bottom which I can coat with the sealer as well.

40$ for the bin
3-4 cans of spray foam insulation at 6$ each
2 cans of flex seal 12.99 each

so around $80 invested in a 1 piece cooler + the cost of making a drain

Or would it be more worth while to just suffice and make it out of the 5gal stacked water coolers and throw it on a dolly. which would cost me about 50$ but have less space for ice.

haha... either way... both need "work"

1 will offer more much more cooling and ice capacity vs the other, the igloo 70qt cooler would be the best option but the price tag on just that cooler at the moment are a little over priced. Big issue for when i go camping there's nothing for hours in sight so if I run out of ice..... im out of ice... i'd sacrifice the food cooler ice but I dont think the woman would appreciate that too much haha.. i guess time will tell which route i go!

On a side note, im hopefully about to score 2 taps with shanks, couple tap handles, a sanke D coupler and a 2 beer cold plate for around 100 bucks shipped.

haha... either way... both need "work"

1 will offer more much more cooling and ice capacity vs the other, the igloo 70qt cooler would be the best option but the price tag on just that cooler at the moment are a little over priced. Big issue for when i go camping there's nothing for hours in sight so if I run out of ice..... im out of ice... i'd sacrifice the food cooler ice but I dont think the woman would appreciate that too much haha.. i guess time will tell which route i go!

What about that coleman 75 quart? That will hold 2 kegs! I assure you that with the amount of ice that the igloo holds; the beer is gone before the ice melts. It takes several days.

Latest posts

Back