Poor man's false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarMoeCur

Reaction score
I've been working on finding some perforated stainless steel for sometime. This stuff is expensive to say the least. I found a temporary fix. Only cost me 11 bucks. 10 guage stainless 2.5mm holes which is just about 3/32. 16.5 inch diameter short by an 1.5 inches but fits pretty good. One step closer to lighting off the new brewery.

View attachment 1450826496058.jpg

That is a Winco Chinese Colander and can be found in all shapes, sizes, and materials. This one is a 15" (act 16.5") stainless steel with 2.5mm holes. In my searches I found 11", 13", 15" in SS or aluminum. They have 2.5mm and 5mm holes. 3/32=0.0938= 2.3813mm.

I got it off Ebay for 11.05 shipped. It looks like it's going to work well but until I run a batch I cannot say for sure. For that price it's worth a try.

That is a Winco Chinese Colander and can be found in all shapes, sizes, and materials. This one is a 15" (act 16.5") stainless steel with 2.5mm holes. In my searches I found 11", 13", 15" in SS or aluminum. They have 2.5mm and 5mm holes. 3/32=0.0938= 2.3813mm.

I got it off Ebay for 11.05 shipped. It looks like it's going to work well but until I run a batch I cannot say for sure. For that price it's worth a try.

Looks good, 15" is what I'm after, but I need to fly sparge with my eHERMS upgrades I'm building. This should work nicely I think.

Another poor man's false bottom. A cheap pizza pan. I have done one BIAB with this, worked OK.

Something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cuisinart-A...891937?hash=item4d33951c61:g:ur4AAOSwv0tVdnKa

bottom1.JPG

bottom2.JPG

bottom3.JPG

bottom4.JPG

So this afternoon I was with the wife and she drug me into target. I actually don't mind target as much as I do wallmart but hey its not all bad. I am finishing up my keggle build and needed a false bottom and found it! look at this beauty it is the perfect diameter as a keg and is all ready predrilled! I am so stoked about this! Even tho I didn't win the lotto I still won big!!! hahaha

So my plan is to cut the handle off and either have the weldless fitting tube run the center ( so punch out a hole) or get some stainless steel bolts and make slit like legs for this! Just wanted to share the good find! and only 20bucks!!!!

http://www.target.com/p/oxo-softworks-splatter-screen/-/A-11144562#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=splatter

So my plan is to cut the handle off and either have the weldless fitting tube run the center ( so punch out a hole) or get some stainless steel bolts and make slit like legs for this! Just wanted to share the good find! and only 20bucks!!!!

http://www.target.com/p/oxo-softworks-splatter-screen/-/A-11144562#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=splatter

Nice find on this but the one thing ive dealt with in the past is the the splatter screen doesnt let much through, hence the purpose. Of course the one I have has much smaller mesh on it.

That's true, but you need that sugary deliciousness to go through and splatter screens are meant to stop liquid from going through free.. make sure you do a good dry run with water

Also, once the grain bed is set it will strain itself... you just have to put the first runnings back over the grain until the liquid is particle free

Yeah I ran hot water thru today it seems to work fine but I plan on my next day off to drill slightly bigger holes about two inches to every three inches.

In my parts search for my build. I've seen those. Most are 12" the price goes up substantially as you increase the size. I would need an 18" one with a stand. They are well over $130. That's why I the colander route.

Very slick for BIAB applications!

Why is this needed for BIAB? I prefer to BIAB full volume without a FB. I guess if someone is looking to recirculate with a pump and add heat below the FB something like this might be worthwhile.

If one needs to make an adjustment to the mash temp just be sure to stir while gently heating to avoid scorching the bag or grain, mashout not required IMHO.

The poor man's false bottom IMO is nothing....

Why is this needed for BIAB? I prefer to BIAB full volume without a FB. I guess if someone is looking to recirculate with a pump and add heat below the FB something like this might be worthwhile.

If one needs to make an adjustment to the mash temp just be sure to stir while gently heating to avoid scorching the bag or grain, mashout not required IMHO.

The poor man's false bottom IMO is nothing....

Holes are too big for anything but BIAB, but if you want to keep your bag from melting to your heating element, this will work.

In my parts search for my build. I've seen those. Most are 12" the price goes up substantially as you increase the size. I would need an 18" one with a stand. They are well over $130. That's why I the colander route.

This is very true. I want the false bottom to stand off from my electric element by an inch (until I get funds for my HERMS setup).

My pots are 15.5" diameter so if I can think up how to find a 2 inch ring to install, then the 12" fb could sit on top of it, no hoses necessary. Problem is, there aren't a whole lot of preexisting 15.5" items I could work with.

This is very true. I want the false bottom to stand off from my electric element by an inch (until I get funds for my HERMS setup).

My pots are 15.5" diameter so if I can think up how to find a 2 inch ring to install, then the 12" fb could sit on top of it, no hoses necessary. Problem is, there aren't a whole lot of preexisting 15.5" items I could work with.

BigB,

I'll hit my colander up with a tape measure. I'll bet it 15.5" about half way up. If it is... heck an angle grinder and 5 minutes you'd have the perfect false bottom for 12 bucks.

Holes are too big for anything but BIAB, but if you want to keep your bag from melting to your heating element, this will work.

True. I have read about holes in the bag due to heating (to hold mash temp, no mash out), so I don't want to experience this.:mug:

Well I found what may be the one for me - a 15.75 Baker's Secret steel pizza pan with 3mm holes from Walmart - $14.89 all in. Sawed the outer rim at intervals and bent them in; added silicone hose to create a seal and protect the pot from scratching.

I have some work to do on my pot before I test this out, but it may be the cheap solution I was after.

Fp5kj6U.jpg

qYFLacX.jpg

Yeah I ran hot water thru today it seems to work fine but I plan on my next day off to drill slightly bigger holes about two inches to every three inches.

I am curious to hear how this works out on a brew day. In my experience, I haven't seen many, if any, splatter screens that I would have thought were solid enough to not collapse under the weight of the wet grain. Looking forward to hearing your results.

Could always run a few stainless bolts into as post to support it. Even the blicham fb has support post.

interested to hear how some of these are working....

Agreed we are in the process of building an e herms rig out of kegs. trying to determine what to use for the mash tun and brew kettle. would 2 mm holes be too big for this type of application?

Agreed we are in the process of building an e herms rig out of kegs. trying to determine what to use for the mash tun and brew kettle. would 2 mm holes be too big for this type of application?

I'm doing the same but going whirlpool and side pick up tube for the BK.

Interested as well. I've been looking at this particular item for a while. I don't know how I'd fit into my kettle, but it seems as though it could work.

Back