Pond/aquarium pump cuts out and won't run

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franktalk

Reaction score
Hi Brewers! Lately, when cleaning my tap lines, my pond pump shuts down and won't go till it's cool. So, can I clean my lines without hot water? Is there a line cleaning solution that works better in warm or even cool water? Right now, I use Oxyclean and it does a great job on the lines, but I think it's supposed to be used at around 160 F. Can I use that in tepid water, say 90-100 F? Is there a cleaner that will clean even cooler than that.

I can't be the only one that has run into this problem. Thanks in advance for your help.

How much does a new pump cost? I'd weigh that along with the price of any cleaners you buy to try and get it running. Might just be worn out and not liking the stop and go service you were using it for.

You might consider using caustic line cleaners like Five Star LLC or National Chemicals BLC, that don't need to be hot to work...

Cheers!
Thanks, day_trippr! I have used BLC before, but I thought that it also had to be hot. I guess I have to look at the information sheet for it. I'll update when I get more information.

How much does a new pump cost? I'd weigh that along with the price of any cleaners you buy to try and get it running. Might just be worn out and not liking the stop and go service you were using it for.
Thanks for your reply, hotbeer! I probably should have mentioned that I replaced one pump that I had been using for years after it started to crap out in the hot solution. The new one, which is more powerful than my first one, overheated on the first attempt using it after a few minutes. After allowing it to cool it ran well in cool or warm water.

Back