Poll: Do you have, or plan to get, an electric car?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have an electric car or plan to get one?

• Yes

• No

• I plan to

• Over my dead body

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think EV snowmobiles make a lot of sense.

More stops to refuel will probably be required with EV sleds and if I were a bar owner near the trails I'd be putting in lots of chargers. Sounds like a win win to me.

How many miles did it take before you were completely and irreversibly hooked on EV's?

One good stomp on my old OG Model S...that's literally all it took. I had the 70th model s ever manufactured which was fun but nerve wracking at this age (out of warranty $$$$$ pit).

This'll do until I get a p100dl, soon.

My wife and I picked this up in Lafayette, Louisiana and have been touring home.

This'll do until I get a p100dl, soon.

Why not go st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg ?

I have roadside assistance through my insurance. My wife had AAA back before we got married. I'm not the handiest guy, and it's helped us out of some jams.

Now that we have a Volt and don't carry a spare tire, I'm really glad we have it. Hopefully we never have to use it again, but I'd hate to be stuck in some random place with no idea who to call.

This time of year is fantastic. My wife has been driving the Volt to work, 35 miles round trip, since March. Every morning since this past tuesday she has been leaving the house with a full charge. Regular household current, 8 amps, and she hasn't been leaving work early every day, some days she was even stuck there late. I went to the grocery store with it yesterday, charged while I was there for free, and this morning I see another automated text indicating that the car was fully charged.

Usually she leaves just shy of a full charge for a couple days each week because of random errands.

so now they're talking about electric airplanes... how do ya'll feel about that?

so now they're talking about electric airplanes... how do ya'll feel about that?
Range and battery weight problems are an order of magnitude more difficult to solve for airplanes than land vehicles.

Brew on :mug:

Blew out a tire in the desert yesterday...mild fortune to tow it two plus hours to Vegas yesterday for new shoes. No one carries 21's in the desert, lol.

Sorry to hear about your tire misfortune. I thought for a quick second about 21's but after reading too many stories just like this, went 19" instead.

Last edited:

I shared a link to a recent episode of PBS Frontline or Nova sometime in the last few months that really dove into what is happening with electric planes.

I have a buddy who is a big EV / alternative energy enthusiast who occasionally sends me youtube videos of hobbyists who make homemade personal aircraft powered by batteries like Greenworks 80v tool batteries.

the motors may be lighter than combustion but its the batteries that weigh more so electric vehicles end up weighing more. I don't think they'll ever get an airplane to be fully electric unless the technology seriously advances. the sad part is they came up with car tech that ran on water, zero emissions... the oil companies didn't like it and made sure it was squashed. so much for being greener if you can't make money off it...

so much for being greener if you can't make money off it...

There is a Cessna Caravan turbobrop converted to electric which recently did a 30 minute test flight and it cost them $6 dollars in electrons. Jet fuel for the same half hour would have been $300 so it's pretty obvious what the driver is behind this transition. Airlines would immediately upgrade their entire fleets for a 20% saving in fuel cost. Imagine what they would do if someone said 98% decrease was possible?

Agreed the battery technology does not currently exist for long duration flights but every year that gets better. Just a mater of time.

Last edited:
I have roadside assistance through my insurance. My wife had AAA back before we got married. I'm not the handiest guy, and it's helped us out of some jams.

Now that we have a Volt and don't carry a spare tire, I'm really glad we have it. Hopefully we never have to use it again, but I'd hate to be stuck in some random place with no idea who to call.

A day before, I called to get AAA; however, it's a 48hr hold. It would not have helped in this case, and Tesla gets me 50mi tow for free. Soooooooooo I'll probably hold off.

My Costco membership gets me $75 towards the cost, so I'll get a few bucks back.

There is a Cessna Caravan turbobrop converted to electric which recently did a 30 minute test flight and it cost them $6 dollars in electrons. Jet fuel for the same half hour would have been $300 so it's pretty obvious what the driver is behind this transition. Airlines would immediately upgrade their entire fleets for a 20% saving in fuel cost. Imagine what they would do if someone said 98% decrease was possible?

Agreed the battery technology does not currently exist for long duration flights but every year that gets better. Just a mater of time.
A Caravan needs a lot more endurance to accomplish its mission.

Obviously, you can fly an airplane using electric motors. But, unless you can meet the range requirements, it won't supplant fossil fuels (I wish it could.)

I've had a 3 since 2019 ... It's been of the best purchases of my life. I really enjoy the car. Handling, speed, UI/UX of the interact. I had a lot of anxiety about pulling the trigger as I felt I was buying a piece of technology that might be obsolete soon. However, within the first week of owning it that faded and to this day I love driving it.

A Caravan needs a lot more endurance to accomplish its mission.

Obviously, you can fly an airplane using electric motors. But, unless you can meet the range requirements, it won't supplant fossil fuels (I wish it could.)

I guess it depends on the mission but yes batteries still fall short for most aircraft uses for now but things change fast. I mean look at how far EV batteries have come in the last few years. The first gen Tesla 18650 cells had an energy density of about ~240 Wh/Kg and then the second gen 2170 cells increased that to ~260 Wh/Kg and now the new 4680 are +300 Wh/Kg. It's said that we need to recach 400 Wh/Kg to make commercial electric aircraft feasible so I think
things are moving fast in the right direction.

I remain hopeful this will happen soon so maybe general aviation might become affordable again.

Last edited:
even the co-founder of wikipedia said it can't be trusted. There was a guy several years ago that developed a car that ran on water/hydrogen. it was a successful product. the oil companies found out, tried to buy him out, he said no. they found a way to get the info from him, some claim they killed him too and they made sure that tech never made the light of day. if I can find the article again I'll post but it was a while ago.

even the co-founder of wikipedia said it can't be trusted. There was a guy several years ago that developed a car that ran on water/hydrogen. it was a successful product. the oil companies found out, tried to buy him out, he said no. they found a way to get the info from him, some claim they killed him too and they made sure that tech never made the light of day. if I can find the article again I'll post but it was a while ago.

I'm pretty skeptical when I hear things like this. Water is already the byproduct of combustion and there is no more energy to be had from the molecule. Unless of course you could fuse the H and O however on earth I think is impossible. Hydrogen on the other hand is certainly useful for propulsion but oil companies actually like that idea. It gives them a fuel that goes right into their sales and distribution model. What they hate is electric cars where the energy source completely bypasses them and can even be made cheaply on your own rooftop.

BS! Did you even read the first two paragraphs of the linked Wikipedia article? I have studied both thermodynamics and chemistry at the post graduate level, and what the Wikipedia article says is correct. What's your science background? Are you a fan of other conspiracy theories?

When I was in high school, (back before many of you were even born,) I had a friend who would say his car ran on water. He'd open the gas cap, put two "gas pills" in, stick a garden hose in it, and let it fill until it was over flowing. He'd then drive off.

He did let me in on his secret: The regular gas tank had a hole in it, so he got a 5 gallon can, strapped in into the trunk, and ran the gas line from there. But he did have a lot of people believing that his car ran on water.

even the co-founder of wikipedia said it can't be trusted.

This nonsense actually does not require wikipedia to refute.

There was a guy several years ago[...]

Stop right there. I was reading about this in the back of comic books while waiting to get my hair cut 65 years ago.
It was bullpoopy then and it's bullpoopy now.

Also: neither Santa Claus nor the Easter Bunny are real, and there is no pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

Cheers! (Sorry)

So I saw this video and it was the biggest waste of time I've encountered all week, and I'm going to waste more time analyzing it, and share it here instead of youtube, because I don't want the account extras that come with commenting on youtube videos.

So, a little backstory, I watch Alex regularly because I haven't found an EV news/podcast show that I'm really enthused about. Alex is like a guy on the local news. He's fine. Obviously he isn't great or he'd be doing something bigger than this. I appreciate that, while Alex is a Tesla fan, he isn't constantly nauseatingly fanboy, and he does report on other automakers. This other cat watches Alex's videos occasionally and got fed up because Alex isn't a big enough Tesla fanboy or whatever but still has something like 4 times as many followers and can afford a brand new non-tesla EV. Anyways, he made a video criticizing (to put it lightly) Alex, and Alex said "Hey, I want to talk to you in front of your followers and defend myself". Here is the comment I would leave on youtube. Commense extra time wasting!

6:39 Warren: "I don't have an EV". I should have stopped right there. Managed to watch another 15 minutes or so before getting terribly frustrated.

The supercharger network is hitting a wall of diminishing returns, if you're looking at the forest rather than the trees. Other networks have) hit the point where non-tesla EV owners with comparable range will be able to road trip almost as easily as tesla owners. If the supercharger network is targeting road trippers rather than people who don't have home charging options then they're not getting the same value for each new charging station that they build, but other charging networks are still seeing a good return on their investment. There are still lots of destinations and routes that can use chargers, but the supercharger network is big enough that they're probably running out of new places to put them that road trippers get excited about. Supercharger users can keep bragging about the number of chargers available to them, but only nerds like us care about those numbers. Regular road trippers who just so happen to drive EVs care about staying as close to their route as they can, wasting as little time as possible recharging (which I guess is where one could get into the ratio of chargers to EVs, but making that point by itself without lots of context is weird), and whether they can get to the next charger without becoming anxious. There are plenty of popular, high volume routes that non-supercharger charging networks have covered (or will soon cover) well enough. Theoretically the chargers themselves can charge as quickly as superchargers, and it won't take long for non-tesla ev makers to take advantage of this.

This may not be the most pointless argument I've ever seen between two tesla fanboys, but it's close.

I need to make some beer.

@Kent88 I feel your pain... I used to have a blog, and back in those days if I saw something truly idiotic I had a nice little void to scream it into. Now, I don't do blogging, I don't do FB, and my forum activity is here, a college football forum, and a golf forum. I don't have an outlet to vent... Nobody in my real life wants to hear it anyway, so I just keep it bottled up.

Glad you found a place to let it out!

Meh, a buddy of mine was giving me grief recently because I'm a little critical of Elon. I happened upon this, and I guess I was a little more frustrated than I thought.

Ok, I apologize I'm not as smart as the rest of you. I'm still amused by the fact that if someone says something you don't believe or haven't heard they must be a conspiracy theorist. I'll give you this, ya'll are very passionate about electric vehicles and don't like anyone pointing out their downsides. It was a 'hydrogen' powered car. but they always talk about putting water in the tank. my bad! This is the guy I was referring to: Stanley Meyer’s water powered car

Another article talking about the 'mysterious' death. this isn't the article I read several years ago but its close. I remember the one I read talked about how at least one oil company was trying to buy him out and he always refused. he knew they would suppress the info from ever reaching the light of day. And behold today. we still don't have that technology available publicly. I guess not enough money to be made with it over battery powered cars...
https://www.gaia.com/article/the-mysterious-death-of-stanley-meyer-and-his-water-powered-car
and as far as wikipedia:
https://www.organiser.org/Encyc/202...by-Leftists-Says-Co-founder-Larry-Sanger.html

let the internet thrashing commence!

Ok, I apologize I'm not as smart as the rest of you.

I wouldn't dream of saying that you aren't smart. We all have topics that we are knowledgeable about and some that we have to rely on others to inform us about as the need arises. If I break my arm, I have no idea how to fix it, so I need to consult a doctor. That doctor might have no idea how to brew beer, and in a different setting he/she/they might ask us how it's done.

I'll give you this, ya'll are very passionate about electric vehicles and don't like anyone pointing out their downsides.

I'm an EV enthusiast, I own a PHEV, and I have several times pointed out their deficiencies on this thread. You don't have to go far to find such a post of mine. I have also corrected others who have stopped by and made suspect claims about EV deficiencies.

The electric F150 has some seriously impressive specs! Going back to my daydream of driving a vehicle to a remote location and brewing a batch of beer "off-grid", the F150 seems perfect for the job. My math says that with a 90kWh usable battery (which is very conservative because specs suggest it might be 115kWh standard range, 155kWh long range) and the 9.6kW Pro Power Onboard inverter you could drive 75 miles, brew a 10 gallon batch of beer using a kal(clone) electric brewing setup fed from the truck then drive 75 miles home.

And the F150 even has the space to actually carry the equipment to do something like that!

This will henceforth be known as the "drive-n-brew-n-drive" test and results will soon be added as a standard on all Monroney stickers for new EVs :D

Last edited:
Last edited:
I plan on keeping both of my vehicles for a long time. The truck is 15 years old, and the Jeep is 4 years old. I'm willing to bet that I can get another 10 years out of both. By then, there won't be many non-electric cars.

are you gonnna really store that jeep in a heatcontrolled garage for 10 years? :D

Back