Pokémon Go Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That might be cool, especially for those pokemon that are rare in a certain locale. You actually find one worth evolving but you know it'll take forever to catch enough more of them to get the candy... Good that they're adding another way to get candy.

Still doesn't affect any of my other criticisms... And wish they'd allow trading or even seeing other players through the UI. But it's something.

Still doesn't affect any of my other criticisms... And wish they'd allow trading or even seeing other players through the UI. But it's something.

Seeing who else is playing will cause fights, stabbings, shootings and other bull****. Too much of a liability!

Trading will expose more cheating and people will operate several accounts to swap to a single account. Too annoying for us regular Joe's who aren't addicts.

My 2c

Went with the wife to take some pictures along a park trail last night. Just as we get there, a girl from work says she and her sister are going to take down all the gyms in town and said I should go too so I can put my pokemons in there. That would have been so much more fun than the park trail (Granted, if we were WALKING and DOING STUFF the park woudl have been nice, but it was mostly standing around while my wife took pictures of dying flowers...)

After the picture taking I drove around and checked out all the gyms. They were all taken over by Valor. And the girls put Pokemons in there that were too big for me to battle! :mad:

Oh well, I caught a few uncommon ones and hatched an egg.

Good theory. Just tried it. No dice. Maybe it only works once per. Got a nice Flareon out of it, though.

I evolved an Eevee, then I found out about the rename thing and got a different one. Then I got more candy and evolved a third. Didn't re-rename any of them and I got the evolves I wanted no problem.

I hear it's about 80% or so chance.

I evolved an Eevee, then I found out about the rename thing and got a different one. Then I got more candy and evolved a third. Didn't re-rename any of them and I got the evolves I wanted no problem.

I hear it's about 80% or so chance.

Well, you suck ;)

Blah! Magikarp are common here, at least in a couple places where I play... almost as common as Pidgeys and Evees. Need more Dratini and Charmander, etc. :(

The pond in that park is good for 1-3 Magikarp per trip. Other than that, none around us. Not even at our town pond.

Diglets are spawning by us now. Wonder if Niantic will ramp up venonats, ghastlies and the like in October.

Hatched this guy from a 10k yesterday!

400788.png

We got Venonats around. Magikarp are common in a nearby town.

Never heard of Diglets.

I hear ghastleys are more common in the evening. My friend says they find night pokemons a lot more at night. I usually go to bed before they come out.

Picked up a package that came to work today (Kid's Bday present) and the crib attendant said she had a Snorlax on the nearby list on her lunch time walk, but couldn't find it.

I told her that's what she gets for not helping me get into any Gyms last night!

It's the first report I've heard of a Snorlax around here. I mean, I know some people have them, but I just assumed they were hatched.

Picked up a package that came to work today (Kid's Bday present) and the crib attendant said she had a Snorlax on the nearby list on her lunch time walk, but couldn't find it.

I told her that's what she gets for not helping me get into any Gyms last night!

It's the first report I've heard of a Snorlax around here. I mean, I know some people have them, but I just assumed they were hatched.

I'd be a little shocked if that were true ...

I'm beginning to wonder when they're going to start releasing more features... I'm beginning to think that the game itself is woefully underdeveloped...

Here's why. The game, to me, has three aspects:

1) Catching/evolving/hatching pokemon (gotta collect 'em all).
2) Powering up pokemon for battles.
3) Battling pokemon (and holding gyms).

But it seems to me that none of these have yet had much "social" interaction. There's really almost no way to interact with other players through the game.

And battling and holding gyms seems to be a relatively weak and slow way to improve your pokemon. The XP gained from winning gym battles is nothing compared to pidgey stacking with a lucky egg. And around me, holding a gym after you beat it looks nearly impossible. Most of the gyms I see trade teams multiple times a day.

So right now I'm dutifully trying to build up my pokemon so that at some point my son can make a decent run at battling a gym. Which is hard to do when the best thing he's got are CP of 1618, 1178, and 1035, and you see a gym with a 1800 Vaporeon, 2300 Snorlax and 2800 Dragonite sitting there. So it's just a grind through the endless ratatas and pidgeys to get enough stardust and candy to power up my good pokemon and level up. But why? Just to go through a billion revive and potion to capture a gym and then have it taken away an hour later? What's the point?

At some point they're sure to start rolling out some of the more social features that MUST be in planning. But will they get around to it before I get bored? I'm almost there. Will they do so before my son gets bored? He's only 9, but eventually he'll start getting tired of catching them for no real purpose, I assume.

Wait, you mean it's all just a game and there is no real point to it??? Dude, you just ruined my life!

I caught a wild 1970 Snorlax at Logan airport. They also occasionally appear on my drive to work.

Hatched an Onix today.

I caught a wild 1970 Snorlax at Logan airport. They also occasionally appear on my drive to work.

Hatched an Onix today.

You are not supposed to play while driving. You are definitely not supposed to admit to playing while driving.

Interesting. I just checked some of my pokemon (where I had multiples) and sometimes the "biggest" wasn't always the strongest. I had a 246 CP StarYou that excited the "advisor" more than the other two, which were a lot stronger. :)

Damn! You guys are getting waaaay better snorlaxes than I... My little guy is only 819! And that's AFTER I powered him up 3 times!

Wait, you mean it's all just a game and there is no real point to it??? Dude, you just ruined my life!

Well, we all know that...

I'm just saying that it's starting to get tedious until they add some features. If the only purpose is to battle gyms, which doesn't seem to produce any tangible benefit in the game other than getting you coins and stardust, it's going to run out of steam.

Well, we all know that...

I'm just saying that it's starting to get tedious until they add some features. If the only purpose is to battle gyms, which doesn't seem to produce any tangible benefit in the game other than getting you coins and stardust, it's going to run out of steam.

I think that is the point, those coins. However, it would be nice if your own pokemon get stronger when winning and weaker when losing. It should go both ways :)

Wow! That was some hot Pokémon action! We took three gyms. One fell. The next fell. We made our stand at the third. Wave after wave of challenger appeared. Some by foot. Some by car. There was head to head. There was sniping. We took out the solos as fast as they came. We took down another two person team by shear attrition. There is a reason to keep so many revives and potions.

And then, with 5% battery left, and no challengers in sight, we departed victorious!

All the way to the end of the parking lot.

Girl at work took over all the gyms in RC again this weekend. Maybe twice. And I was busy. I missed all them coins! I don't think I even turned the game on this weekend.

I think that is the point, those coins. However, it would be nice if your own pokemon get stronger when winning and weaker when losing. It should go both ways :)

They do, sort of. You get experience when you battle, depending on whether you win or lose, and you can eventually use that experience to level up your Pokemon. :)

So a new update should be out today (or tomorrow) and I cant wait! I'm expecting the buddy system and hopefully some other cool stuff!

Wow! That was some hot Pokémon action! We took three gyms. One fell. The next fell. We made our stand at the third. Wave after wave of challenger appeared. Some by foot. Some by car. There was head to head. There was sniping. We took out the solos as fast as they came. We took down another two person team by shear attrition. There is a reason to keep so many revives and potions.

And then, with 5% battery left, and no challengers in sight, we departed victorious!

All the way to the end of the parking lot.

They definitely need to even out the training with the battling. You can take down a gym in a battle by 2000+ at a time, but training only improves in the 100s range and very little XP gained. I can't imagine how long it took to get a gym to Level 7 or 8.

On another note, I was in Iceland this weekend (northern lights, check!), and saw a Mr Mime in the Sightings. Couldn't track him down though, sadly.

They definitely need to even out the training with the battling. You can take down a gym in a battle by 2000+ at a time, but training only improves in the 100s range and very little XP gained. I can't imagine how long it took to get a gym to Level 7 or 8.

On another note, I was in Iceland this weekend (northern lights, check!), and saw a Mr Mime in the Sightings. Couldn't track him down though, sadly.

That's like devastating haha. You can actually get more prestige from training using weaker pokemon. Using a pokemon with 1/2 the CP of the one you are fighting gets you about 1000 prestige I think (definitely more than 100).

That's like devastating haha. You can actually get more prestige from training using weaker pokemon. Using a pokemon with 1/2 the CP of the one you are fighting gets you about 1000 prestige I think (definitely more than 100).

But you have to actually defeat at least 1 to get any prestige. I've had a few underdog victories, but usually like a 900 vs 1000 CP. Don't think I'd have a shot at 500 vs 1000.

But you have to actually defeat at least 1 to get any prestige. I've had a few underdog victories, but usually like a 900 vs 1000 CP. Don't think I'd have a shot at 500 vs 1000.

If you throw a 500 cp vapors on with two water type moves against and Arcanine, you should have a good shot. You may need to dodge some, but it's possible.

Popped a lucky egg today and got off a bunch of evolutions. Only one new Pokemon but it took be from under 15000 xp to about 85000

Latest posts

Back