Points of Crystal malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

If a Crystal malt's yield is 20 points ( by steeping ) , can you say that 1 Oz. of this malt which is steeped for 30 minutes in

0.26 Gallon of water would yield 5 points ?!

Hector

Hi there !

If a Crystal malt's yield is 20 points ( by steeping ) , can you say that 1 Oz. of this malt which is steeped for 30 minutes in

0.26 Gallon of water would yield 5 points ?!

Hector

I think crystal malt is more like 14 ppg (points per gallon per pound of grain) http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-4-1.html

Using one ounce is such a small amount that I'd not venture a guess if you would get ANY gravity points.

I think crystal malt is more like 14 ppg (points per gallon per pound of grain) http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-4-1.html

Using one ounce is such a small amount that I'd not venture a guess if you would get ANY gravity points.

Does crystal make even yield anything fermentable? I was under the impression that it only yielded non-fermentables, hence why it should not be used in large amounts?

Does crystal make even yield anything fermentable? I was under the impression that it only yielded non-fermentables, hence why it should not be used in large amounts?

It provides a small amount of fermentable sugars. Not much, but some. It's mostly for color and flavor.

But using less than .25 pound in a batch of beer is a "Why bother?" as far as I'm concerned.

With one ounce, you'd get very little color or flavor, and minimal sugars, even in a one gallon batch.

It provides a small amount of fermentable sugars. Not much, but some. It's mostly for color and flavor.

But using less than .25 pound in a batch of beer is a "Why bother?" as far as I'm concerned.

With one ounce, you'd get very little color or flavor, and minimal sugars, even in a one gallon batch.

Ok that is what i thought. I have a batch that is Kegged that i have yet to taste that had 5lbs of Crystal 60 in it, When i ordered my grains i screwed up and ordered a 2-5lb bags of crystal 60 instead of 1lb bags, so i said the hell with it and used 5lbs in a batch just to see how it comes out. Its on the gas carbing up now.

Ok that is what i thought. I have a batch that is Kegged that i have yet to taste that had 5lbs of Crystal 60 in it, When i ordered my grains i screwed up and ordered a 2-5lb bags of crystal 60 instead of 1lb bags, so i said the hell with it and used 5lbs in a batch just to see how it comes out. Its on the gas carbing up now.

It should taste pretty carmelly sweet!

To the OP's question, the number is about right, in 1/4 a gallon of wort, the crystal of 1 oz (14pts/gallon =~1point/oz) woudl be about 4 points. But several questions are raised at this. Yooper pointed out the 'why bother' And then the whole 1/4 a gallon (.26 gallon) again... Why bother? by the tiem you get that finished you've put in excessive amount of time in for waht 2 or 3 12 oz bottles?

Maybe it is 'malt tea' for summer icing and no fermenting involved...

Vance +1 on teh 5lb of crystal 60... let us know how that comes out.

To "Yooper" and "ACbrewer" :

I'm an Extract brewer and I have had some issues with my beer brewed with DME . Therefore , I make small test Batches ( 1 Liter = 0.26 gallon )

to find the Origin of the Problem and solve it .

Today , I made for the first time Crystal malt at Home using the Oven and I'm going to use them as steeping Grain . But , I don't know the

Lovibond number of this malt and its p.p.g.

The p.p.g. you mentioned ( 14 Points ) belongs to "Light Crystal" , but I would say mine should be Pale or Medium crystal ( due to its color ) .

It was for one Hour in the Oven at 250F . Therefore , I suppose my malt's p.p.g. would be around 20 ( by steeping ) .

Since O.G. of my small Beer is going to be 1.050 , I wanted to be sure that the amount of Crystal malt wouldn't be more than 20% of the whole malt .

So , 1 liter is nearly 1/4 gallon and 1 Pound per Gallon is the same as 1 Oz. dissolved in 0.06 Gallon .

But , my Wort is diluted nearly 4 times (0.26/0.06 = ~ 4 ) and I'd like to know if I can say steeping my Crystal malt would yield about 5 Points ?!

Hector

There's one simple way to find out. Steep some of your crystal in some water, carefully measuring the volume of water and weight of malt. Cool it, and measure the gravity.

-a.

There's one simple way to find out. Steep some of your crystal in some water, carefully measuring the volume of water and weight of malt. Cool it, and measure the gravity.

-a.

1 Oz. of Crystal malt is all I have !

I need it for my next Batch .

That's why I wrote this Thread .

Hector

hector said:
To "Yooper" and "ACbrewer" :

I'm an Extract brewer and I have had some issues with my beer brewed with DME . Therefore , I make small test Batches ( 1 Liter = 0.26 gallon )

to find the Origin of the Problem and solve it .

Today , I made for the first time Crystal malt at Home using the Oven and I'm going to use them as steeping Grain . But , I don't know the

Lovibond number of this malt and its p.p.g.

The p.p.g. you mentioned ( 14 Points ) belongs to "Light Crystal" , but I would say mine should be Pale or Medium crystal ( due to its color ) .

It was for one Hour in the Oven at 250F . Therefore , I suppose my malt's p.p.g. would be around 20 ( by steeping ) .

Since O.G. of my small Beer is going to be 1.050 , I wanted to be sure that the amount of Crystal malt wouldn't be more than 20% of the whole malt .

So , 1 liter is nearly 1/4 gallon and 1 Pound per Gallon is the same as 1 Oz. dissolved in 0.06 Gallon .

But , my Wort is diluted nearly 4 times (0.26/0.06 = ~ 4 ) and I'd like to know if I can say steeping my Crystal malt would yield about 5 Points ?!

Hector

You have the math right. If it were 20pts/lb/g then about 1.25pts/oz/g. But at about 1/4g that makes 5 points in your brew or around 10% of your 1.050 og.

Hope You find your problem

Back