Pliny the Elder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamBomb

Reaction score
I live in Kentucky and although I have heard all the hype, I have never tried Pliny the Elder.

I cannot find it anywhere locally. Where or how does one procure said beer? Can it be ordered online?

It's distributed on the west coast. Beer trades, but it's difficult to find even at russian river itself.

I just had it on draft a couple weeks ago. $8/pint! It was definetly good--really good even--but the hype is insane. I've had some local IPAs that I personally found superior to Pliny. They keep production low on purpose... It drives the hype. Even if I can find it in bottles, they limit one per person.

They keep production low on purpose... It drives the hype. Even if I can find it in bottles, they limit one per person.

Russian River is running at their capacity and PtE accounts for a high percentage of their output. They had to stop selling in Washington so they could supply enough beer to their own brewpub. They literally can't brew any more than they do without expanding the brewhouse and they don't want to incur the debt that would require.

I've never tasted it, nor seen it for sale.
So I brewed Northern Brewer's The Plinian Legacy.
I don't know if it's a good clone, but it's an excellent beer.

my buddy lives about 20 minutes from the brewery so he can mail me a few bottles when he can find it around town. It's pretty good. As good as the hype? I don't think many things live up to their hype once it gets to a certain point and RR's Pte has passed that point. It's pretty good but no way I'd spend the day scouring the town or standing in line for it.
Same goes with Heady Topper. It's pretty darn good but people go crazy over it and spend all kinds of money buying the stuff.

Russian River is running at their capacity and PtE accounts for a high percentage of their output. They had to stop selling in Washington so they could supply enough beer to their own brewpub. They literally can't brew any more than they do without expanding the brewhouse and they don't want to incur the debt that would require.

They just bought a new brew house, but it is still a 50 barrel system. They can not expand in their current location.

I had some yesterday (live in Sonoma) and I've brewed the Morebeer version so I can say they're pretty close. Picked up a different clone recipe last week and am going to give that one a try as well.

If you get the clone recipe, ditch the crystal and it will be even closer to the original.

If you get the clone recipe, ditch the crystal and it will be even closer to the original.

Why? The original recipe uses crystal 40L, 2-row, and Carapils. Vinnie Cilurzo, the CEO and head brewer, has shared his recipe. :confused: The MoreBeer version isn't even a clone; it's Vinnie's actual recipe, just converted to a homebrew 5 gallon amount. :confused:

I'm also pretty sure that MOST IPAs use crystal.

They just bought a new brew house, but it is still a 50 barrel system. They can not expand in their current location.

Yeah, they're just replacing their existing system. Natalie has said an expansion would cost somewhere between $10-20 million. That's not exactly chump change.

I've had it a couple times and it never lived up to the hype it receives. It's good but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. Heady on the other hand...

An inside source showed me the recipe it uses c60 two row and sugar...nothing else. Also Amarillo is used throughout.

The guy that actually makes it is a liar, A REAL insider told me it's brewed with rice, two row, black patent and goat cheese strained throught the crotch portion of POTUS'es underpants after his morning run. Watch your source brew the best.

Why? The original recipe uses crystal 40L, 2-row, and Carapils. Vinnie Cilurzo, the CEO and head brewer, has shared his recipe. :confused: The MoreBeer version isn't even a clone; it's Vinnie's actual recipe, just converted to a homebrew 5 gallon amount. :confused:

I'm also pretty sure that MOST IPAs use crystal.

I have friends that brewed Pliny from a clone kit and it is too dark and sweet. I have brewed a clone without crystal using american pale malt, not 2 row and it comes very close.

It's definitely good, but so are many of the beers at RR if you can make it to the pub. Their Belgians are fantastic. Someone above referenced Pliny as being difficult to find at the pub, but I've never found this to the be case, at least concerning the draft version.

The guy that actually makes it is a liar, A REAL insider told me it's brewed with rice, two row, black patent and goat cheese strained throught the crotch portion of POTUS'es underpants after his morning run. Watch your source brew the best.

Your avatar offends me but it's hard to argue with your logic

Last edited:
I've never had Pliny I can't get it in mich but I've had kbs same type of hype beer and waited in line to get it only to for it to be sold out right before me. Found it on draft in a place and then realiZed while good I would never wait in line for it again. My point being a lot if not most of the beers that are heavily hyped well the hype surpasses the beer but that's a marketing ploy and I give credit to the breweries for doing this they sell more that way simple supply and demand. I've had heady too and it was good but again it didn't make me want to move to Vermont, so try it if you can trade for Pliny just have realistic expectations as with any beer that is supremely sought out.

:p My my, I would have never guessed the last secret ingredient. Thanks for the tip.

I have friends that brewed Pliny from a clone kit and it is too dark and sweet. I have brewed a clone without crystal using american pale malt, not 2 row and it comes very close.

Different clone kits come to different degrees of closeness to the original. The MoreBeer one, since it is Vince's actual recipe (and not a clone), is pretty much 95-99% the same as the kind made at their brewery.

But, even with the right recipe, depending on a lot of various different factors, differences can crop up (on the home brewer's side and not with the ingredients or the recipe).

I brewed the More Beer kit but omitted the 2 ounces of mash hops, mashed @ 151 F, and fermented on the cool side for about three weeks.

Compared to Pliny, it is very close, only minor subtleties. Certainly not sweet (or malty). When it goes on sale, I will but a few kits to keep this in the pipeline for as long as I can.

I actually prefer a sweeter DIPA, something like Hop Rising, or Hop Stupid and may mash a few degrees higher to produce a fuller body.

If enough yeast is pitched to get to < 1.014 you'll be good.

You used to be able to buy it online, but every time I check now it is "out of stock." The best way to get it now, probably is to just trade with a person.

It is a really good beer and is worth drinking if you can get it, but it's not something to lose sleep over. I know that probably doesn't help if people tell you how great it is...but I think if people spent half as much effort trying other beers as they did trying to get this beer, they would suddenly realize that they don't have to try that hard to get good beer...

I've brewed Scotland's clone recipe and tried a club member's 2 attempts at the plinian legacy beer. My clone was admittedly great, and the legacy clone poorly fermented. Then i went to Russian River last summer and tried the actual beer...

... It was freaking awesome. I liked Vinny's sours better than Pliny but the elder really was great with a pizza sitting in the front of the brew pub. The half day at Russian River was the highlight of my wife and my vacation to SF. (And she was pregnant at the time!).

Does it live up to the hype? That's for you to decide. It's a great ipa, and was easy to find in the Bay Area. It was certainly memorable and a trip to the pub for Vinny's creations is well worth the trip.

Back