Double IPA Pliny the Elder Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJstout

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
yes
Yeast Starter
optional
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
14 day dryhop after primary
Tasting Notes
excellent ipa
This is not my recipe, i found it on the internet, supposly its Vinnie from Russian River homebrew recipe for PTE. Either way, its a tried and proven recipe, ive brewed it before, and its one of th best beers ive brewed, it should be the database.

12 pounds 2row
8oz Crystal 45 malt
8oz Carapils malt
12oz corn sugar added to boil

3.5oz Columbus hops @ 90 minutes
.75oz Columbus hops @ 45 minutes
1oz Simcoe hops @ 30 minutes
1oz Centennial hops @ 0 minutes
2.5oz Simcoe hops @ 0 minutes

1oz Columbus dryhop
1oz Simcoe dryhop
1oz Centennial dryhop

add an additional .25 columbus, .25 simcoe, and .25 oz of cententennial to the dryhop after a week of adding the first dryhop addition

mash approx 151F for 60minutes

us05 yeast

I brewed this exact recipe three weeks ago and just transfered to secondary today. Initial results are hoppy but smooth. Will post final results in two weeks when I keg/bottle.

I will be bottling this weekend.

ForumRunner_20120418_224539.jpg

ForumRunner_20120418_224524.jpg

ForumRunner_20120418_224432.jpg

Sorry for the late reply. This turned out AWESOME! A bit drier than the comparison Pliney but got nothing but rave reviews. Killed our bombers in two weeks. It is truly a hop-bomb and you could almost feel the enamel coming off your teeth. BTW bottled with 4 oz of corn sugar and carbonation came in right on the money. Will try to post pics soon!

Can this be easily converted to an extract recipe?

Yes. Just use 7.2 pounds of DME for the two-row.

An issue could be with a partial boil, and topping up, because it's hard to get enough IBUs into solution that way. What I mean is, say your wort has 80 IBUs and you end up with 2.5 gallons after boiling. Adding 2.5 gallons of water (with 0 IBUs) to this means a 40 IBU beer so it would lose some bittering.

To counteract that, boil as much as you possibly can and add the majority of the extract (and corn sugar) near flame out. That would help.

Can this be easily converted to an extract recipe?

Yes. Just use 7 pounds of light or extra light DME for the two-row.

An issue could be with a partial boil, and topping up, because it's hard to get enough IBUs into solution that way. What I mean is, say your wort has 80 IBUs and you end up with 2.5 gallons after boiling. Adding 2.5 gallons of water (with 0 IBUs) to this means a 40 IBU beer so it would lose some bittering.

To counteract that, boil as much as you possibly can and add the majority of the extract (and corn sugar) near flame out. That would help.

Can someone help a rookie?

I'm still figuring out beersmith but plugging in the recipe I got 244.9 IBU's not 95. Color and OG came out close to what was in the original post though.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks,
Mpjay

Edited to clarify: That was with pellet hops. I switched it to leaf hops and it dropped to 222.6.

Flavor profile was spot on however our version came out significantly drier than Pliny. My guess is a process control issue on the front end which I'll attempt to fix on the next batch.

Mine also came out a little dry, finishing at 1.008. I mashed at 151. I'll go 152 next time.

Mine also ended at 1.008. Came out extremely grassy tasting. Not satisfied. I usually like my beer served at 40-45 degree because the flavors are more present. This I cannot drink at that temp because of the grassy notes. I have not been able to try the real deal to compare.

quick question..... I'm going to brew this over the weekend to compare it to the original. In your recipe are you spec'ing out whole leaf or pellet hops ?

I just bottled a Pliny The Elder clone 7/4/12. This will be interesting as I don't see any reviews on this exact clone. If anyone has had the clone from RITEBREW "Pliny Inspired" please let me know your thoughts. I am very interested in hearing someones view on this one. They sell this all over the internet. Amazon etc. GO to ritebrew.com as well to see recipe.

Thanks in advance.

So funny. You are correct I meant 7/4. I wish I could pull the UK card on this one but I'll chalk it up to the IPA's. I will most def. let you all know how this one turns out. Giving it a few weeks carbonation.
.25 lb Caramel 40L Steep 20 min @ 155f
8lbs GOld DME 60 min
3oz Columbus hops 90 min
1oz Columbus hops 45 min
1lb corn sugar 30 min
1oz centennial hops Steep 10 min after boil, before cooling
2oz Simcoe hops Steep 10 min after boil, before cooling
1oz each- columbus, centennial, simcoe Dry hop fr 10-14 days
used White labs california ale yeast wlp001

Had my first taste of the PTE clone I bottled 7/4/12. Color a bit darker than the original, taste right on. Super hoppy, just the right bitter, good nose. Unfortunetaly still not carbed yet. I know it's at least 2 weeks away but it was wishful thinking.

I would recommend this PTE clone kit from Ritebrew. It is slightly different than the Vinnies recipe you see everywhere but pretty damn close and at the right price. Amazon has it.

As usual I was concerned about the carbonation. 2 weeks ago it was good but very flat. I always use 2 PET bottles along with the glass bottles as I can truly gauge the carbonation. Sure enough after 4 weeks perfection!!!. What a good IPA. I really have to say it is as good as any IPA that I have purchased. I have tried so many and have found what I really like. This is truly up there with the best. I attached a pic. I'm enjoying this one for sure.

pliney the elder clone.jpg

I just brewed this last night as my first all grain batch. I added the sugar at the start of the boil, I hope that this was ok. I couldn't find anywhere that said this would be bad! Color in the carboy's is the same as the pictures posted so far.

Started trying these and I think after week 3 in the bottle will meld nicely. Awesome aroma and taste so far. Very positive feedback from those I have shared with. I will brew this one again for sure!

I am wanting to use this recipe but am only wanting to do a 2.5 gallon batch due to space. Is this a 5 gallon recipe, and how much water was used to start with? I would like to do a full boil to end up with the 2.5 gallons. Also I'd be doing an extract along with steeping the malts.

Thanks

Back