Double IPA Pliny The Bastid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it odd that the recipe that he handed out tells you to dry hop for such a long time for each dry hopping because I listened to his speech and he said that there was no significant increase in hop flavor from 7 days to 2 weeks so he said dry hopping for 5-7 days is enough.

I find it odd that the recipe that he handed out tells you to dry hop for such a long time for each dry hopping because I listened to his speech and he said that there was no significant increase in hop flavor from 7 days to 2 weeks so he said dry hopping for 5-7 days is enough.

I went two weeks last time and I will definitely shorten it and likely only use two additions next time. My beer seemed to get worse after the third addition but I am not sure I can attribute it to that.

This beer sounds really good but I'm not equipped for all grain as of now. I don't suppose this can be made using extract and specialty grains can it?

This beer sounds really good but I'm not equipped for all grain as of now. I don't suppose this can be made using extract and specialty grains can it?

Yeah, use about 9.5lbs of light LME (in 5.5 gallons). You can steep the other grains.

Yeah, use about 9.5lbs of light LME (in 5.5 gallons). You can steep the other grains.
Thanks, I just saw the reply to this as I'm looking for a recipe to use next week. However, I can only do partial boils of about 4 gallons and would top off to 5.5? Steeping time 20 minutes? Also, the sugar thats listed in the recipe if for bottling I assume? On the dry hopping is that supposed to be 3.75 ounces PER dry hop or just 1.25? If its 1.25 each time I assume the hops are in the order stated.

Thanks, I just saw the reply to this as I'm looking for a recipe to use next week. However, I can only do partial boils of about 4 gallons and would top off to 5.5? Steeping time 20 minutes? Also, the sugar thats listed in the recipe if for bottling I assume? On the dry hopping is that supposed to be 3.75 ounces PER dry hop or just 1.25? If its 1.25 each time I assume the hops are in the order stated.

PM sent on the volume question.

I am not sure about the steeping thing, it has been a long time since I did that.

No, the sugar is part of the fermentables to make sure it dries out fully. You would need more for bottling.

1.25 oz per variety. I would mix them all up and the split them into thrids and add one for 7-10 days, take it out, and repeat. From an interview with Vinnie Cilurzo, I believe this how is ound best results.

PM sent on the volume question.

I am not sure about the steeping thing, it has been a long time since I did that.

No, the sugar is part of the fermentables to make sure it dries out fully. You would need more for bottling.

1.25 oz per variety. I would mix them all up and the split them into thrids and add one for 7-10 days, take it out, and repeat. From an interview with Vinnie Cilurzo, I believe this how is ound best results.
Thanks for the help. Not to be a PITA but as far as the hop bill, if I'm going to do partial boil do I need to up the hop bill at all since utilization won't be as high?

I brewed this about 6 weeks ago Friday and I'm going to crack my first bottle open. This recipe smells amazing and tasted even better green. I can't wait to sample it again on Christmas!

I brewed this about 6 weeks ago Friday and I'm going to crack my first bottle open. This recipe smells amazing and tasted even better green. I can't wait to sample it again on Christmas!

Hey Schweaty, how was it?

I'm putting together my recipe to brew this, and have a couple of questions:

1 - What does adding corn sugar do versus lowering the mash temperature?

2 - I don't have simcoe hops, and haven't used them before. Are they special enough to try to find them?

3 - Has anyone made this recipe using the "Hot French Randall" process?

4 - How do you calculate Mash Hopping IBUs? Beersmith gives different numbers than in the recipe. Not that IBUs really matter in this recipe :)

Hey Schweaty, how was it?

2 - I don't have simcoe hops, and haven't used them before. Are they special enough to try to find them?

Yes, definitely.

3 - Has anyone made this recipe using the "Hot French Randall" process?

I believe there is a thread somewhere where a guy use french press for this recipe. Russian River uses extracts now for the real thing, so I can't see why not.

This is a bit :off: but I trying to put together (or just find) an extract or partial mash recipe for another Russian River brew. They have a Belgian style blonde ale that is simply fantastic. They call it Redemption and I have fallen in love and need to clone. I plan to use White lab Belgian wit ale yeast WLP400 and one oz of Willamette hops. But I don't have enough experience yet to guess at extract or steeping grains needed. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or is this one of those things where I should just copy the generic Belgian blonde ale kits from LHBS, or perhaps Biermuncher's SWMBO slayer and call it close enough?

I brewed up a very similar recipe to this last night.
My OG hydro sample was the first one that ever tasted balanced between sweet & bitter. Crazy!

How long do you age it?
I'm new to brewing and I am about to bottle a pliny clone this weekend.

oh ****, nevermind. I hadn't read through the whole thread, then saw the guy right above my post has the answer..

This is a bit :off: but I trying to put together (or just find) an extract or partial mash recipe for another Russian River brew. They have a Belgian style blonde ale that is simply fantastic. They call it Redemption and I have fallen in love and need to clone. I plan to use White lab Belgian wit ale yeast WLP400 and one oz of Willamette hops. But I don't have enough experience yet to guess at extract or steeping grains needed. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or is this one of those things where I should just copy the generic Belgian blonde ale kits from LHBS, or perhaps Biermuncher's SWMBO slayer and call it close enough?

Here is a recipe for Damnation which is simply a stronger version of Redemption. Well, I'm sure there are other differences in the two recipes, but since this recipe is from the brewer himself, it should give you some guidance with whatever you end up doing.

The Brewing Network • View topic - Russian River Damnation Clone Recipe?

I've recently found a couple sellers of Elder and Blind Pig. I'm actually enjoying the dryness of Pig a little more. But both are damn good. Russian River makes some damn fine products!

Anybody know much about Younger? I seem to recall it is a "triple IPA". Opinions as compared to Elder? Recipe?

Would it be OK to use pellets instead of whole hops? Anyone done this?
Update: I ordered pellets, so it's on now.

I brewed up 10 gallons of this stuff on Sunday. I doubled everything in the grain and hop bill and was pleasantly surprised to end up an O.G. of exactly 1.075. The only substitution I had to make was for simcoe since my LHBS doesn't carry it. Right now the whole thing is bubbling away in my Fermenator.

On Sunday night I placed an order for 7 oz each of columbus, centennial, and simcoe from Freshops. By the time they arrive it should be about time for my first dry hop addition. But I have a question; should I still double the hops for my dry hop additions? I mean, 2.5 oz of each hop will mean I'll be filling up my mesh bag with 7.5 oz of whole leaf hops each time! That is a serious pile of hops. Would I be better off splitting the hops and using two hop bags? Or maybe use 2 oz of each hop instead of 2.5 oz (6 oz in a mesh bag is still quite a bit). I've never dry hopped this much at once and am not sure how well it will work. Will the hops in the middle of a bag that large still be able to secrete their goodness? Considering the amount of money I've put into this batch already, I don't want to make any mistakes now. Thanks.

Just made this, was my first all grain! oh ya!

Since everyone said my efficiency would be low for my first I upped the grain to 18lbs. total, and sure enough it was low. But I ended up with an OG 1.080 in the end, so not too shabby!

Great thread, thanks!

Anybody know much about Younger? I seem to recall it is a "triple IPA". Opinions as compared to Elder? Recipe?

I wouldn't call it so much a triple IPA as I would and Imperial Imperial IPA. It really has a lot of malt and body, but isn't hopped to the extreme like a double or triple IPA can be. I seem to recall it having a measly 75 or 80 IBU bittering with the rest aromatic. It is actually the reason that I made up my Pliny the Middle Child, high alcohol, high aromatic and medium to low bittering (comparatively).

On my dropdown, or Pliny the Middle Child

As I say though, it comes in around 7-8%abv though maintains a lot of malt. Not sweet by any stretch of the mind, but highly malty. I am thinking of making an even bigger version coming in at about 10% with the same sort of malt profile, I will let you know when I do. That one will be my Pliny the Younger test clone. I will post the recipe in the recipe area and then get it brewed prior to posting here.

So I am thinking of brewing this for some friends that are serious hop heads if they help me finance the hops. Anyways, I am trying to decide between Mikes long shot winner recipe and this one. I am wondering why his is still a clone if it is a 1.099 Gravity beer when the original is 1.071 and this recipe is a lot closer to that gravity.

Did mike intentionally ramp up the alcohol and add more hops to balance it?

Also, RR says that this is a 8% beer and an OG of 1.071 so you would have to get to 1.010 FG or attenuate 86% so are people mashing at like 149 on this beer?

I mashed at 154, I was shooting for 153, but was my first all grain. After 10 days with 2 vials of wlp001 @ 68 I'm at 71% attenuation, 1.024 from 1.080. I'm going to keep in primary a little longer in hopes it finishes out. Would it be a bad beer if this is as low as it goes?

I mashed at 154, I was shooting for 153, but was my first all grain. After 10 days with 2 vials of wlp001 @ 68 I'm at 71% attenuation, 1.024 from 1.080. I'm going to keep in primary a little longer in hopes it finishes out. Would it be a bad beer if this is as low as it goes?

Who is to say what is bad? It will just taste different and a little more toward the malty side but may not be too noticeable with all the hops.

So no one ever mentioned why Mikes version is 10%. Was he just trying to do a supped up version of Pliny the Elder or is it a clone of Pliny the Younger?

One other weird thing I am seeing is that their "on tap" list is listing pliny the elder at 92 BU (bitterness units)

Russian River Brewing Chalkboard

Most recipes out there are way over 100 though, more like 160+ on the IBU scale. They say once you get past 100 that there is not that much difference to the normal person but just wondering if the recipes are differing or if there is a difference between the old BU scale and IBU scale. I didn't think there was.

One other weird thing I am seeing is that their "on tap" list is listing pliny the elder at 92 BU (bitterness units)

Russian River Brewing Chalkboard

Most recipes out there are way over 100 though, more like 160+ on the IBU scale. They say once you get past 100 that there is not that much difference to the normal person but just wondering if the recipes are differing or if there is a difference between the old BU scale and IBU scale. I didn't think there was.

They have probably had it analyzed in a lab and it came in at 92. The equations used that come up with 100+ are just guesses. It becomes physically very hard to get more than 100 IBUs into solution.

You also have to think though, are they considering the dry hopping in the calculation or no? I know that some take that into consideration. I am pretty sure that McDole went after the Elder as the Younger is lighter in color as well as other differences.

Has anyone compared the Longshot version to Pliny or the clone recipe in this thread?

I've never had the chance to try the original, but quite honestly I did not care for the Longshot version at all. And I'm a pretty big hophead. The Longshot IIPA was the first super-hoppy beer I've ever tried that I didn't like.

I'd like to either get my hands on some Pliny the Elder, or brew the clone recipe, but I guess I want to make sure I'll like it first...and if the Longshot IIPA really is like it, I guess I'll brew something else.

Maybe I just got a bad couple bottles, or maybe it was too young.

Recipe copied exactly according to Vinnie Cilurzo (Russian River Brewing Company Owner/Brewmaster) handout distributed at 2005 National Homebrew Conference.

Hi!

Do you have a scan of the distributed recipe?

Hoppy regards from Switzerland.
Dom

i have pliny the elder bottled for 5 bucks a bottle just down the street from my house at Tacoma Boys. one of the best selection for craft beer ever. andddddddddddd it's open 24 hours a day- so i can get pliny at 130 am. yeah!

i have pliny the elder bottled for 5 bucks a bottle just down the street from my house at Tacoma Boys. one of the best selection for craft beer ever. andddddddddddd it's open 24 hours a day- so i can get pliny at 130 am. yeah!

I don't want to go broke buying pliny all the time. It is a great beer, but man they add up quickly. I picked some up at the bottle barn in santa rosa where they are $4/bottle and even that, you are talking $24/6-pack, I know they are 16.9oz instead of 12.... so let's say you could buy a 4.26 (4.26 x 16.9 = 72 = 6-pack) pack, that is still $17 for 72 ounces.

Anyways, that was a tangent, the stuff is great, I just had one last night :)

Back