PLEASE let the Northern Brewer buy-out be a hoax!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so much Bud as it is Uber. They've been testing in Pittsburg and San Fran for a while, IIUC. It starts with Taxi's. Only makes sense to evolve into commercial freight.

Having driven both semis and taxis, I can garuntee you that the taxis were only for "testing" the end goal is/was allways to automate Trucker fleets(semis)
The bigger the fleet the more the potential savings from laying off drivers.
These savings however WILL NOT be passed on to consumers but turned into a higher profit margin.
Those former drivers will enter the marketplace for jobs competing with others in their towns driving up inflation and driving down wages as the labor pool is now bigger (insert supply & demand lecture here)

I'm for tech advancements but i can see that this one is being pursued for the sole reason to eliminate jobs.

It's a pivot. He is saying {translating}: I disagree with your point of view so let's make this personal.

My point is very simple: it is easy to talk in absolutes and how NB are "traitors" etc., but it takes a little more effort to try and put yourself in other people's situation and see their perspective. I do see NB owners perspective: I won't blame them for "selling out", aka cashing in on their business, if the deal is much better than fair (hearing of Constellation acquisition of Ballast Point - 1B for $50M a year business? that's crazy! - I don't doubt they have cash to make an offer owners can't refuse) and if their life circumstances dictate it.

Those of you who say they would have never sold out to InBev, good for you, but think again. Everyone, every business has a price. You are delusional if you think you don't.

I don't blame anyone selling their business; it is their business. I don't blame anyone for choosing to no longer support a business they do not agree with; it is their business.
If you wish to buy from NB, have at it. If not, don't.

Now I see Bud is testing a driverless semi to haul it's beer across the country. Some day there will be no truck driver jobs. What are those people going to do? We're automating ourselves into extinction.

Design robots. Build robots. Sell robots. Service robots.

There was a time when a man could make a good living shoeing horses. If that guy is still around, he'd be doing something else now. I'm sure my words are wasted here on people who are already in an immutable path in life, but meh I'll say it anyway: get on the tech train folks, and do it when you're young and your brain is malleable.

I guess I'm changing the subject here, and off topic. Sorry, back to bud bashing!

There was a time when a man could make a good living shoeing horses. If that guy is still around, he'd be doing something else now. I'm sure my words are wasted here on people who are already in an immutable path in life, but meh I'll say it anyway: get on the tech train folks, and do it when you're young and your brain is malleable.

I guess I'm changing the subject here, and off topic. Sorry, back to bud bashing!

The robot design, manufacture, sales, and service jobs will be done cheaper in other countries, so no robot support jobs for you.

Electric lights? What will the poor lamplighters do for work?

Alarm clocks? How will the knocker-uppers feed their children?

Electronic mail? Why, the postmen will soon go the way of the dinosaur!

Meh. A thousand times meh.

Now I see Bud is testing a driverless semi to haul it's beer across the country. Some day there will be no truck driver jobs. What are those people going to do? We're automating ourselves into extinction.

So they're disruptive strategy is to make driverless delivery of homebrew ingredients. Brilliant! :p

So they're disruptive strategy is to make driverless delivery of homebrew ingredients. Brilliant! :p

You're thinking too small. They're behind the automated homebrewing solutions too. Soon, driverless trucks will offload cheap homebrew ingredients directly into your brew system, which them brews it to the overlord's exacting specifications. All will be integrated.

You're thinking too small. They're behind the automated homebrewing solutions too. Soon, driverless trucks will offload cheap homebrew ingredients directly into your brew system, which them brews it to the overlord's exacting specifications. All will be integrated.

Wait, NB is going to deliver premade homebrew via driverless trucks? Just place your order and they'll brew it and deliver if for you!

A man can still make a good living shoeing horses in horse country...
Wait, NB is going to deliver premade homebrew via driverless trucks? Just place your order and they'll brew it and deliver if for you!

NB-AbInbev already does so.

I unsubscribed from both MW and NB email lists the other day, offering "AB-Inbev Ownership" as my reason for unsubscribing. I figure a person ought to let them know where they went wrong.

I unsubscribed from both MW and NB email lists the other day, offering "AB-Inbev Ownership" as my reason for unsubscribing. I figure a person ought to let them know where they went wrong.

I did the same thing and have already placed an order over $100 for a new burner from HomeBrewSupply.com. The new Blichmann Hellfire burner caught my interest when I received an email from HomeBrewSupply.com.

It will already be drunk for you as well.

Anyone else find it funny midwest is selling reconditioned kegs for 100.00 but you can get NEW ones from guys like farmhouse brewing supply for 75..

Anyone else find it funny midwest is selling reconditioned kegs for 100.00 but you can get NEW ones from guys like farmhouse brewing supply for 75..

Thats way over priced for reconditioned. The list price for new is usually over 100. Used are usually around 60. They prob don't sell.

The AB Inbev move makes a lot of sense.
Craft brew is on the rise.
It is cutting into the macro-brew market share.
Sales of Budweiser are down.
Budweiser owns maltsters and hop farms.
If those ingredients aren't going into their beer, due to decreased demand, then they still need to use these perishable ingredients.
Owning an outlet to sell their extra malt and hop makes a lot of sense.
Also, they will likely make a higher margin selling malt and hops whole than as ingredients of their line of beer.

If those ingredients aren't going into their beer, due to decreased demand, then they still need to use these perishable ingredients.
Also, they will likely make a higher margin selling malt and hops whole than as ingredients of their line of beer.

This makes a lot of sense. All of the global beer leaders maintain epic hop and malt growing trials on their own farms and facilities. Not only do they grow varieties that are in huge craft beer demand, but are never made available (up until now?), but they also grow varieties that the general U.S. brewing public is sometimes not well aware of. They really could end up supplying some ground-breaking hops if they really wanted to. IF - they wanted to.

The AB Inbev move makes a lot of sense.
Craft brew is on the rise.
It is cutting into the macro-brew market share.
Sales of Budweiser are down.
Craft beer sales are slowing rapidly. I read it has been over 10% for years now and this year sales are up 6%. Can't speak for major brewery sales though. I guess it never hurts to expand your business into related areas.

Craft beer sales are slowing rapidly. I read it has been over 10% for years now and this year sales are up 6%. Can't speak for major brewery sales though. I guess it never hurts to expand your business into related areas.

http://www.brewbound.com/news/craft-beer-sales-slow-midway-2016

RTFM said:
Sales of craft beer are officially slowing, according to new data from market research firm IRI Worldwide, but a closer look shows an important distinction: the biggest brewers and their craft brands are the ones facing the slowdown.
As Brewers Association chief economist Bart Watson noted via Twitter, year-to-date craft volume gains would actually be closer to 9 percent if you removed non-Brewers Association-defined craft brand families like Blue Moon and Shock Top, which Watson estimates are down 4 percent and 9 percent year-to-date, respectively.

There's way too many variables - Blue Moon is down 4%, but Goose Island IPA is up 175%. So take out Blue Moon, and the "craft" segment is up more. And the logic is that it's ok to to take out Blue Moon because it's fake craft. Not sure I agree with that.

Blue Moon, I think, is a brand created by a bug brewery - it started as part of that large operation. Goose Island was brought into a large company but started independently. Of course, Coors started independently, too.

Craft beer that is tracked in certain ways is down or up. But it's really murky.

Not to be confused with the North East Minneapolis Pretzel Legoman Society.
Huh? :confused: lol

I do have a question, after reading every post in this thread over the last few days. Can someone please try to explain exactly what happened in terms of ownership, etc. From the best that I can tell, the original owner had sold/cashed out to an investment firm about 3-5 years ago, and had hung around as a figurehead. Said investment firm had then been offered and accepted a Big Check from AB for their investment. Business doing business.

I had seen people sometimes give (a small amount of) grief earlier in the thread about the orig owner, but as he seemed to be out of that picture (in terms of real control, as best as I can tell) due to his sale 3-5 years ago, is any of this angst even applicable? At least against him personally, as he was no longer in control if it, the investment bankers were? Am I missing something? Or do I have it mostly wrong?

If so, could someone please provide some clarity so I can get a better understanding of the moving pieces? I understand the general gist of the issues of AB owning the HBS and all that, but that is separate in my mind to the progression of ownership, and how far it is removed from the 'guy started LHBS and grew it into a now big company', because that to me ended back when he sold out to the investment firm.

Back