Seems Official - Northern Brewer/Midwest/AB Inbev/Budweiser/SAP/Miller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iioan

Reaction score
https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/57c9me/its_official_northern_brewer_midwest_has/

Excerpt from the Daily email of "Craft Beer News" from http://bevinsights.com/
Beyond acquisitions that expand its core brewing business, AB InBev recently "partnered" with Northern Brewer, one of top online homebrew supply retailers, via ABI's global ZX Ventures "Disruptive Growth" group. Minnesota-based Northern Brewer is widely considered the largest online ingredient and equipment retailer for homebrewers across US, especially if considered in tandem with Midwest Supplies, with which it now shares ownership after each co took on separate private investors, according to multiple reports/sources. Both of those cos operate separate websites as well as brick and mortar shops in the upper Midwest, but do the majority of their sales online, we understand.
This deal just one more piece of largely secretive plans and activities of ABI's private equity subsidiary ZX Ventures. So far it invested in a number of cos with biz models tangential to brewing, including Owl's Brew tea-based mixers and radlers and Kombrewcha low-alc kombucha brands, as reported in sister-pubs Beverage Business Insights and Beer Marketer's Insights. The group "is pleased to share we have partnered with Northern Brewer. The team there shares our passion for brewing and commitment to the best ingredients," ZX's Global VP of Homebrewing Cassiano Hissnauer said in statement to Craft Brew News. "ZX Ventures is excited to enter the homebrew space to help Northern Brewer to grow," he added, as the 20-yr old homebrewing supply retailer "has built an extraordinary network and community of homebrewers." Terms of the "partnership" were not disclosed.
In fact, very little about deal being talked about. Note that AB has favored 100% acquisitions in all of its small brewer purchases within the US rather than partial stakes. But not much known about size or scale of previous investments made by ZX group or its overarching strategy other than "disruptive growth." For its part, Northern Brewer offering very little information too. It's "still a family-owned local business," according to its website, and isn't commenting on "any potential business partnerships" when asked by numerous interested hobbyists, hipped to possibility of a deal by a post to popular online forum Homebrew Talk. Unsurprisingly, reactions there vary from vitriolic conspiracy theories to what amount to shrugs and laughs: why would the world's largest brewer buy some homebrew shop in Minnesota?
Top Supply Retailer's Close Contact with Homebrewers, E-Commerce Platform As a leader in US sales of homebrew suppliers, Northern Brewer buys and ships a lot of grain, hops and yeast as well as equipment ranging from plastic tubs to multi-hundred-dollar high-tech brewing, fermentation and draft systems. It also operates its own online forum for homebrewers to discuss recipes, troubleshooting and more, and runs an extensive customer service platform to answer questions. All in, that's a whole lot of data on the homebrewing community, often pointed to by craft brewers as a major source of innovation in brewing.
Then too, Northern Brewer also runs a fairly significant e-commerce platform, taking, processing and shipping orders from all over the country. E-commerce is already a much-discussed topic in the beer industry, with many wondering when large scale online beer sales may emerge and just how disruptive it will be to the industry when it does. Recently, king of online retail Amazon has been testing new concepts to expand existing Amazon Fresh grocery biz, including plans to build brick-and-mortar convenience stores, as Wall St Journal reported this week. Many expect Amazon to test online alc bev sales thru its Prime service (see Oct 5 CBN) and now major retailers Wal-Mart and Kroger are working to compete by adding digital and/or delivery capabilities, per WSJ.
Homebrew Retail: Fewer Shops, Less Profitable Due to Changing Homebrewer Patterns Homebrewing itself has become an increasingly popular hobby in the US that has grown right along with craft brewing. There were about 1.2 mil homebrewers brewing an estimated 2 mil bbls per year back in 2013, according to American Homebrewers Assn, an arm of Brewers Assn. Currently, there are just over 800 homebrew retail shops in US, as tracked by AHA, director Gary Glass told CBN. But that's down slightly from peak of 815-820 at end of last yr and beginning of 2016. That's first time AHA has tracked a decrease in the number of outlets, Gary said. He also expects to see a slight overall decline in revenue reported by these retailers this yr.
Behind those overarching trends, Gary revealed a couple of interesting patterns that counter the notion that the hobby overall could be in decline. The sharpest declines in outlets have been among older (5+ yrs in biz) brick & mortar stores, but AHA has also tracked revenue declines among online retailers. The strongest growth has been among new brick & mortar neighborhood stores. Members tell the AHA they prefer to shop at local homebrew stores (often referred to as an LHBS by homebrewers) over online retailers. So as new shops open, they're either taking biz from online retailers (when they're the first LHBS in an area) or older shops not providing as strong a service. Further, many homebrewers report moving to more advanced "all-grain" brewing, which mirrors process at commercial brewers more closely and eliminates use of grain extracts, which tend to be both more expensive and have better margins for retailers, Gary reminded. That switch alone will hit a shop's bottom line. Homebrewers also seem to be brewing less frequently, Gary said, which could, in part, be because there are so many more local breweries around.
Long-time homebrewers often report turning to the hobby in order to just have access to the styles of beer they sought. They also tend to be some of the most fierce advocates for independence in the beer industry. "You make a choice, a vote, a statement every time you open a bottle of craft or homebrewed beer instead of a can from a factory with an advertising budget that could swallow your local microbrewery whole," founder of Northern Brewer Chris Farley wrote for post titled "Good Beer is Your Right," still on the co's website. And judging by the doomsday scenarios and jokes about assimilation ("resistance is futile") already splattered across the Homebrew Talk forum thread, many homebrewers won't take kindly to news of ZX's investment. In fact, even before confirmation, concerns about the deal echo those raised after AB's acquisitions of small brewers: access to raw materials and increased buying power of an industry leader or better-funded competitors that could dig deeper in targeted local markets. Whether or not these concerns are well-founded, this investment clearly a striking move that further embeds AB into the heart of craft.

Either NB/MW have much higher sales that I had imagined, or ABinbev has something unique up their sleeve. This will be interesting to watch unfold. I'm very curious as to the actual changes that may or may not happen to the product/service side of either of these retailers.

"You make a choice, a vote, a statement every time you open a bottle of craft or homebrewed beer instead of a can from a factory with an advertising budget that could swallow your local microbrewery whole," founder of Northern Brewer Chris Farley wrote for post titled "Good Beer is Your Right," still on the co's website.

Good Beer Supplies is Your Right!

ABInBev/Miller buys grain by the trainload, has hop contracts out the wazoo, and with all the craft brewery acquisitions, is probably buying all kinds of specialty ingredients. Could they just plug some of their reduced cost supply chain into the homebrew market and under price everyone else?
Maybe they are looking at getting the homebrew market going in China or expand to other countries?
ABInBev's model has been to raise prices, not lower them, although I have seen some aggressive pricing with their Goose Island Brands. So don't expect a decrease in homebrew ingredients. Keeping prices the same and increasing the profit margin is more likely.
Perhaps they'll make clone kits of Michelob Bock, Kona Pipeline porter or
Goose Island King Henry.

ABInBev/Miller buys grain by the trainload, has hop contracts out the wazoo, and with all the craft brewery acquisitions, is probably buying all kinds of specialty ingredients. Could they just plug some of their reduced cost supply chain into the homebrew market and under price everyone else?
Maybe they are looking at getting the homebrew market going in China or expand to other countries?
ABInBev's model has been to raise prices, not lower them, although I have seen some aggressive pricing with their Goose Island Brands. So don't expect a decrease in homebrew ingredients. Keeping prices the same and increasing the profit margin is more likely.
Perhaps they'll make clone kits of Michelob Bock, Kona Pipeline porter or
Goose Island King Henry.

Or GMO the stuff, patent it, make sure it cross pollinates with non-GMO and royalties for all! Great stuff.

Don't they know that homebrewing is on the decline? Seems odd...

Per terms of AB-Inbev's deal with the government to buy SAB Miller, any brewery acquisitions now regardless of size have to be approved by the government. They probably are done acquiring breweries because of this and are turning to homebrew and other areas for acquisitions.

Per terms of AB-Inbev's deal with the government to buy SAB Miller, any brewery acquisitions now regardless of size have to be approved by the government. They probably are done acquiring breweries because of this and are turning to homebrew and other areas for acquisitions.

If they really want to control the market they will buy the major yeast manufacturers ( Wyeast and White Labs). It will all but guarantee they will have their hand in almost ALL beer brewed. When I went on the White Labs tour they said 98% of all craft brewers use their yeast at some time.

Interestingly I got marketing emails from both NB and MW today... I unsubscribed from them, choosing to leave feedback under the 'Other' option - "I will not do business with AB InBev owned companies". I'll vote with my dollars as I hope a lot of other folks will too.

http://www.startribune.com/rosevill...ht-by-world-s-largest-beer-company/397142501/

This says it was flat out acquired.

The venture capital arm of Anheuser-Busch InBev has acquired Roseville-based Northern Brewer, the nation’s largest home-brewing supplier, and its sister company *Midwest Supplies.

Northern Brewer confirmed the sale Friday, but executives would not disclose terms of the deal. ZX Ventures is AB InBev’s venture capital business that seeks out disruptive or innovative start-ups.

Not scared yet...Do you think they will buy the farms and the malting companies...Never...right

Interestingly I got marketing emails from both NB and MW today... I unsubscribed from them, choosing to leave feedback under the 'Other' option - "I will not do business with AB InBev owned companies". I'll vote with my dollars as I hope a lot of other folks will too.

Yep, I've placed my last orders with NB and MW. I cannot in good conscience purchase anything from any AB InBev owned company. This may end up as a windfall as more FLBS business will be done long term.

Official Press Release: All current management will remain and operations will continue as before...every time...

"I will not do business with AB InBev owned companies".

I cannot in good conscience purchase anything from any AB InBev owned company.

What's the logic behind this?

If you applied this reasoning universally you wouldn't buy anything and would be left to figuring out some self-sustaining lifestyle. Go buy a yurt and live off the grid.

Good businesses get acquired by other bigger businesses.

It's capitalism and living in 'Murica. Get used to it or move on.

What's the logic behind this?

If you applied this reasoning universally you wouldn't buy anything and would be left to figuring out some self-sustaining lifestyle. Go buy a yurt and live off the grid.

Good businesses get acquired by other bigger businesses.

It's called "speaking with your wallet". There are certain corporations I simply refuse to do business with.

I don't shop at Walmart. I do not purchase GMO corn or soybean products because I disagree with Monsanto business practices (not that there is anything inherently wrong with GMO), I won't purchase any AB InBev product nor will I stay in any hotel with the name "Trump" plastered on it. I won't set foot in a Home Depot.

This is my right as an American. I do not have to do business with any corporation I dislike

Can we stop perpetuating the crap that if there's something someone doesn't like about the U.S. that they should get out? It's a ridiculous non-argument in any situation it's brought up in.

Furthermore, someone can choose not to do business with companies they don't want to. The argument that someone has to do business with all corporations or no corporations is just as ridiculous.

Can we stop perpetuating the crap that if there's something someone doesn't like about the U.S. that they should get out? It's a ridiculous non-argument in any situation it's brought up in.

Furthermore, someone can choose not to do business with companies they don't want to. The argument that someone has to do business with all corporations or no corporations is just as ridiculous.

Thank you!
Every time we spend a dollar with any company, we have stated our approval for how they conduct business.

The ridiculous argument about doing business with everybody or nobody, refuses to even consider that nearly everybody chooses to cease doing business with some company at least once in their life for whatever reason.

How many people have had a bad customer service experience and simply stopped doing business with that company?

I'm not opposed to companies getting bought and sold... that's a great part of capitalism. What I am opposed to is supporting companies that have absolute disdain for the craft beer segment and use their overwhelming market share and influence to stop smaller brewers from getting shelf space.

I'm not opposed to companies getting bought and sold... that's a great part of capitalism. What I am opposed to is supporting companies that have absolute disdain for the craft beer segment and use their overwhelming market share and influence to stop smaller brewers from getting shelf space.

I agree. I have no problem with Northern Brewer selling out. That's how capitalism works. It does not mean that the resulting company is owed any business whatsoever from me. That's also how capitalism works.

Back