PLEASE let the Northern Brewer buy-out be a hoax!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember that many a businessman's dream is to grow their business to the point where someone wants to give them a lot of money for it.

They get our of debt quick, and get a nice retirement fund out of the deal.

Thats the dream. Start up, get bought out, start up again and repeat.

Boycott abinbev/NB /Midwest supplies! I think nb was not doing good and Palmer tried to launch anvil to get out of northern brewer business and trying to establish a big brand with anvil through his identity but that was without success as blichmann has to help promotion and no real success for him promoting lamotte either. I think he should write books and do what randy Mosher does. Abinbev will try to get into the homebrewing business to establish the biggest homebrewing shop in the world! That's for sure. If they can't compete with the micro breweries anymore they are just smart enough to think that homebrewing can be the most important beer business because one day it will be easy to make as good beer as the best microbreweries and more people will make beer from home! Abinbev is now trying to steal back the customers they lost over the last decades + customers from all the microbreweries which kicked their ass. Don't do them a favor!

InBev Executive: "Those darned HOMEBREWERS! That's it. Have ZX buy their supply shops, and they wont' have any choice but to give us their money! MWUAHAHAHAH!!!! (rubs hands together in an evil fashion.)

Homebrewers across the nation: "What? Supply store now owned by InBev?? Well, shoot, I guess I'll go buy somewhere else then!"

InBev Executive: "What the heck, man! Norther Brewer sales are way down and we're getting hammered online?? I don't get it!" :mad:

I haven't placed many orders with NB in my life, but I did just unsubscribe from their emails and let them know why.

Adding some commentary on the sale, the homebrew supply side is a nice pickup for AB/Inbev, but NB supplies A LOT of stuff to the craft industry on the commercial side. Russian River, Stone, big craft breweries, they buy from NB. I think that is a much bigger deal here than the homebrew side…..

What is also interesting is that small homebrew shops are opening all the time because homebrewing represents a big opportunity. This leads to more competition between small businesses and crisis begins. This is exactly the fishing moment for abinbev. They are going to come with massive competitive pricing. Blichmann, ss brewtech, anvil, and more are made in China and abinbev will offer much better price/quality and that is one issue! They might even buy those factories and then they ll crush even the kettle and conical brands such as ss brewtech and blichmann!

I think what we are missing here is the choice that we have.

In my life, I choose to never buy an InBev product, although it's hard to do when you're standing in the craft beer aisle and the obfuscation of the labels and sources of the beer are done on purpose to hinder that ability.

I also avoid other shopping in places where I dislike their business practices- Menard's, Wal-Mart, etc.

Maybe they don't miss my paltry amount of purchasing anyway, but I feel strongly that supporting them only makes them more of a monopoly.

We all have that choice. Purchase from them, or don't. Either way should be respected. Nasty words and back-and-forth on the internet won't change a thing.

Internetarguing.jpg

NB supplies A LOT of stuff to the craft industry on the commercial side. Russian River, Stone, big craft breweries, they buy from NB. I think that is a much bigger deal here than the homebrew side…..

What are these craft breweries buying from NB???
Indeed it would be a bad thing for them if AB-INBEV gains control of their supply lines. I just don't see what these breweries would be buying from them. Grains and hops i'd figure they would be buying from maltsters/farmers directly.

Adding some commentary on the sale, the homebrew supply side is a nice pickup for AB/Inbev, but NB supplies A LOT of stuff to the craft industry on the commercial side. Russian River, Stone, big craft breweries, they buy from NB. I think that is a much bigger deal here than the homebrew side…..

what would they buy from NB?

Source?

I can see small craft breweries - ie, most of them - buying from suppliers as it wouldn't be practical for them to buy things like specialty malt from maltsters due to minimum order sizes. But I can't really see someone like Stone needing to

I think Norther Brewer might be conducting damage control now. Not long ago, someone tweeted the first of presumably many negative comments against the company. Looks like they quickly turned back the clock to show tweets from many days ago, so as not to risk their home page being filled with negative tweets:

Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 3.57.36 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 3.56.50 PM.jpg

how horrible does it make me if I hope they ship grain on the cheap for a while? We used to get 2-row for $32/bag in group buys. After that, I can't in good conscious spend $50+ and feel satisfied...One year I brewed nearly 500 gallons, allegedly...cost adds up.

What are these craft breweries buying from NB???

Indeed it would be a bad thing for them if AB-INBEV gains control of their supply lines. I just don't see what these breweries would be buying from them. Grains and hops i'd figure they would be buying from maltsters/farmers directly.

They get 10000000s of 1 ounce hop packs.

Its always a sad day when corporate behemoths take over the little guy. But come on folks, sacks of grain are much cheaper picked up locally from the LHBS. And hops are much cheaper by the pound from hops folks online (like YakimaValley). Hardware is better sourced from the few hardware guys online and yeast is easily propagated so how often do you really buy new yeast. This isint a big deal. And there are choices out there, welcome to free market capitalism. Ive always preferred Morebeer.com and AIH anyway on the rare occasion I buy online. NB has a new boss who will be skimming the profits and demanding a certain margin %. Long term NB WILL have to change to accomodate this, contrary to their press release. I wish them the best, may the strongest survive.

I appreciate the optimism, but I feel like adding my $0.02 here.

My LHBS has a very limited variety of malts. They aren't about to start stocking MCI Stout Malt or debittered black malt because of little ol' me. That isn't to say that they aren't good, I do buy from them when I can and I always like to talk with them, but they just don't have the variety. I've visited some other LHBS and they just don't stock a big variety of malts.

Hops by the pound? Not for those of us who brew batches under 5 gallons and don't usually go for the hop bombs. Lots of people start out with 1-gallon batches, and I've settled on 3 gallon. Sure there are a lot of homebrewers making 5 gallons of IPA on a regular basis, but I rarely use more than a couple ounces per brew, and I doubt I'm alone. And I'd rather not get a vacuum sealing system and take up more space in my freezer, and I've heard that it takes that kind of system to keep hops long-term.

Yeast being easy enough to propagate is debatable. I have reused yeast, but being an apartment brewer with few people to share with I just can't brew frequently enough and I don't have enough fridge space to keep a yeast bank going to my liking. A yeast cake can be rinsed and kept reliably for a few months, but anything more long term probably requires some lab equipment. And this is all assuming that you're happy with one kind of yeast strain, but I like to brew bockish lagers, sweet stouts, and the occasional saison, and then just whatever I feel like brewing on a whim that week. Also, my LHBS only carries White Labs yeast (I prefer Wyeast) and I've gotten burned a few times not checking the expiration date. Counting on the LHBS or my rinsing of yeast cakes just doesn't work for me, and again, I doubt I'm alone.

"Welcome to {obvious part of the environment/situation/surrounding}" is cliche. I don't know how that statement helped you make any point.

I do appreciate your optimism, but people have a right to be annoyed that a company they've been doing business with suddenly sells out to a company that many of their customers don't like. I bet a lot of people are upset that they'd be supporting InBev if they bought that pumpkin ale kit from NB that they wanted to have ready for thanksgiving, or whatever kit they wanted to make for Christmas or New Years or the SuperB owl.

But I think one of your main points here is that life goes on, there are plenty of other places to shop, and options to explore. That is a good message. Today I found out that MoreBeer has malts from the Malting Company of Ireland, besides just their stout malt. I also found that their webpage is a little glitch-y.

I also think it is nifty that the homebrewing market is being taken seriously, and I think it makes perfect sense for a company like InBev to want to "Double Dip" (now I'm using cliches) in the fermented beverages market by getting into the homebrew supply market. They obviously know beer is big business and getting into the homebrew market is a way to diversify within that fermented beverages market. And now I'm overusing the word "market".

I liked doing business with NB because I liked BrewingTV, I liked the huge variety of ingredients I could get through them, I liked that they are based in the Twin Cities, and I thought that most of the investors were still in the U.S., but things have been changing for a while now. I don't know if I will completely stop shopping there, but I definitely wont do as much business with them.

Never shopped with NB, and now never will. I don't support any breweries that AB has acquired, even some great local ones in my area. Time to start voting with your wallets folks; check out the little guys in and around your area, or take a look at some other non-AB online shops.

That's the approach I'm taking. My LHBS will be getting more business from me.

That's the approach I'm taking. My LHBS will be getting more business from me.

I love my local one for ingredients, not so much for buying hardware/equipment.

Sorry, but im not paying a 100% markup for a gas manifold.

I'm old enough to remember local hardware stores, pharmacies, grocery stores, etc. One could earn a good living wage working at the local store. Now, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, CVS and others have run the local businesses out of business. The wages they pay employees are entry level wages, nothing many of us could live on.

This is just another step in corporatizing an industry. We have local home brew stores now, but once AB InBev gets aggressive in their marketing and pushing into our markets, the local guys will be gone. Until then, my money goes to the local store or small shops. Yes, it cost a little more, but it is worth saving IMHO.

I don't blame the sell outs. They are cashing out before they are trampled and run out of business.

I appreciate the optimism, but I feel like adding my $0.02 here.

My LHBS has a very limited variety of malts. They aren't about to start stocking MCI Stout Malt or debittered black malt because of little ol' me. That isn't to say that they aren't good, I do buy from them when I can and I always like to talk with them, but they just don't have the variety. I've visited some other LHBS and they just don't stock a big variety of malts.

Hops by the pound? Not for those of us who brew batches under 5 gallons and don't usually go for the hop bombs. Lots of people start out with 1-gallon batches, and I've settled on 3 gallon. Sure there are a lot of homebrewers making 5 gallons of IPA on a regular basis, but I rarely use more than a couple ounces per brew, and I doubt I'm alone. And I'd rather not get a vacuum sealing system and take up more space in my freezer, and I've heard that it takes that kind of system to keep hops long-term.

Yeast being easy enough to propagate is debatable. I have reused yeast, but being an apartment brewer with few people to share with I just can't brew frequently enough and I don't have enough fridge space to keep a yeast bank going to my liking. A yeast cake can be rinsed and kept reliably for a few months, but anything more long term probably requires some lab equipment. And this is all assuming that you're happy with one kind of yeast strain, but I like to brew bockish lagers, sweet stouts, and the occasional saison, and then just whatever I feel like brewing on a whim that week. Also, my LHBS only carries White Labs yeast (I prefer Wyeast) and I've gotten burned a few times not checking the expiration date. Counting on the LHBS or my rinsing of yeast cakes just doesn't work for me, and again, I doubt I'm alone.

"Welcome to {obvious part of the environment/situation/surrounding}" is cliche. I don't know how that statement helped you make any point.

I do appreciate your optimism, but people have a right to be annoyed that a company they've been doing business with suddenly sells out to a company that many of their customers don't like. I bet a lot of people are upset that they'd be supporting InBev if they bought that pumpkin ale kit from NB that they wanted to have ready for thanksgiving, or whatever kit they wanted to make for Christmas or New Years or the SuperB owl.

But I think one of your main points here is that life goes on, there are plenty of other places to shop, and options to explore. That is a good message. Today I found out that MoreBeer has malts from the Malting Company of Ireland, besides just their stout malt. I also found that their webpage is a little glitch-y.

I also think it is nifty that the homebrewing market is being taken seriously, and I think it makes perfect sense for a company like InBev to want to "Double Dip" (now I'm using cliches) in the fermented beverages market by getting into the homebrew supply market. They obviously know beer is big business and getting into the homebrew market is a way to diversify within that fermented beverages market. And now I'm overusing the word "market".

I liked doing business with NB because I liked BrewingTV, I liked the huge variety of ingredients I could get through them, I liked that they are based in the Twin Cities, and I thought that most of the investors were still in the U.S., but things have been changing for a while now. I don't know if I will completely stop shopping there, but I definitely wont do as much business with them.

Even with small batches, buying a pound of hops can make sense. I buy a pound of Willamette periodically because it's the one I use most often. I have gotten it from Willamette Valley Hops (but I don't think they do retail any more) and from my local, but that was a bag from Hop Union. Nothing special.

I almost always use it for bittering in any beer, plus a flavor addition in Irish Red, flavor and aroma in summer ales (blonde and pale), and flavor and aroma in brown ale.

Willamette is versatile, so a pound gets used up quick enough.

I usually pick up some interesting ones for flavor and aroma and dry hopping if I do that.

I have also settled on 3-4 gallon batches, but sometimes 1, 2, or 2.5 depending on what it is and how fast I think it will go.

I do have a lot of jars of yeast, which is a hassle. I just threw out 4 jars because I had not used them. A pack of US-05 is cheap, so I only save/reuse that when I do a couple of batches very close together.

But you're right - if you make IPAs then you will use pounds of hops.

I blame them. How dare a business maximize the ability to keep costs low and sales volume high. It's almost like they're trying to build profits and make money!

I mentioned this in the article comments as well, but honestly, who is surprised by this? Not me. I work in corporate America and this is how things work..If you cannot beat them by buying the breweries, buy the source of the homebrewers materials..Its a money grab by some of the best of the best when it comes to this type of game.

The AB/InBevs/MillersCoors/Constellations of the world are NOT going to go away so for those that are thinking they will be overthrown like some crooked entity, think again. They will do whatever they need to do to get your money by hook or crook and they have the money to jockey themselves into your line of spending to get that money.

For those that state they will buy more from their LHBS, why were you not already doing this? I buy EVERYTHING I can from my LHBS and only buy things online if I absolutely cannot get them at the LHBS (Like Golden Naked Oats which are the absolute BOMB to use in almost any beer!).

For those that were online only folks as you don't have a LHBS store nearby, who not wait and see what happens with this? If the prices/grains/hops/packaged deals don't change, Keep on keeping on..Does it really matter if you are still able to get the same items for the same price and your beer is not suffering?

If knowing that AB/InBev is taking your money for your materials, shop elsewhere but honestly, for me..its all about ME when it comes to my beer, not AB/InBev.
If I can get the best deal for my money for the best grains/hops/yeast I need, I just don't give a crap who at the top is getting my money as long as I can still make MY beer.

Just my .02 on all this crazyness.:fro:

Because we don't like light american lager here. PKU.

What if a homebrewer makes a light American lager? Is that acceptable? What if that homebrewer owns a toy store? Should you boycott his toy store because he makes light American lager?

If you have a job, then you are doing the same thing any corporation does - trade what you have for what you want, try to get the most, and try to beat out the competition. This can be done while drinking light American lager or not.

I moved away from these guys about 2 years ago

Their catalog just seemed to be comprised of the products with the highest ratio of ($$ price & markup /cheapest material/product possible)

The whole episode with the glass big mouth bubblers that were essentially chinese kimchi fermenters really sealed the deal for me. And of course they were marketing the crap out of that product for the $$$.

I realize all businesses are in it to make money, but feel like my LHBS at least likes to work with customers and develop some type of tie to the community. Sure you pay a little more, but I think it's worth it.

As a manager at one of the older, larger brick-and-mortar homebrew shops in the country, I don't know whether to be excited or terrified. I'm also more than a little confused as to why a major corporation would buy into an industry that is currently in decline.

I meant to mention that earlier - there was a thread not long ago that showed the industry in decline and the ability to turn a profit very difficult.

Maybe that's why NB wanted out.

I meant to mention that earlier - there was a thread not long ago that showed the industry in decline and the ability to turn a profit very difficult.

Maybe that's why NB wanted out.

We've weathered some hard times, we're built for it. Our overhead is as large or small as we need it to be. A company as large and spread out as NB might have a harder time adjusting to market fluctuations and was probably eager to stop the bleeding.

I must have no soul, because if I built a business and could sell to a large company for millions I'd cash out so quickly the front door would blow off the hinges as I exited the building. And I'd be too busy making beer or camping in my new pimped out RV (courtesy of my newly acquired wealth) that I wouldn't bother reading posts on internet forums saying "he's dead to me" for being a corporate sell-out.

;)

I blame them. How dare a business maximize the ability to keep costs low and sales volume high. It's almost like they're trying to build profits and make money!

You guys ever own a business? Far too few Americans do anymore IMO. Shipping profits out is a slow steady drain on the system. It seems eventually the well runs dry. I see it where I live.

You guys ever own a business? Far too few Americans do anymore IMO. Shipping profits out is a slow steady drain on the system. It seems eventually the well runs dry. I see it where I live.

When I got out of school my step dad and I had a small computer business (remember Computer Shopper!?). My wife and I also just started a small business in August (primarily consulting).

When I got out of school my step dad and I had a small computer business (remember Computer Shopper!?). My wife and I also just started a small business in August (primarily consulting).

Computer Shopper the catalogue?? Bigger than Sear catalogue!

Well, I just got an email from Midwest. normally I'd send it straight to the trash bin, but I took the opp. to unsubscribe.

I'm curious to know what percentage of customers they planned to lose due to the buyout...

I received the same marketing email. Inhit unsubscribe with the reason as "InBev". I encourage others to do the same.

InBev's interest are diametrically opposed to the craft beer industry so they are trying to get their hands in it to screw it up. Take a stand and don't let them. Support a different online retailer.

Interesting to see this InBev move during a time when all of us Americans can/should be brewing more to forget about where this country is heading no matter which candidate wins the election in November. Maybe they know we'll all be drinking more because of the last XX years no matter if we buy their crap or brew it ourselves!

Interesting to see this InBev move during a time when all of us Americans can/should be brewing more to forget about where this country is heading no matter which candidate wins the election in November. Maybe they know we'll all be drinking more because of the last XX years no matter if we buy their crap or brew it ourselves!

You sir have won this thread. +1000
:fro:

Latest posts

Back