please help fermenting and bottling this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tal32123

Reaction score
I was making kvass, and have decided to make it a little more alcoholic. I made it using the following recipe:

Slightly burn 3 pieces of toast, add to boiled water, and 1.5 handfulls of raisins.

Wait 8 hours

add active dry yeast, .5 cups regular sugar, .5 cups brown sugar. Mix everything. Put in new bottle and use baloon as airlock. It has been in airlock since yesterday.

I'm kind of surprised that the baloon isn't filled up a little more. Also, how long should I keep it in this stage? How and how long should I bottle it?
MqHnk.jpg

Kvass in my experience is usually drank young and fresh and right from the fermenter. I assume its been strained at this point? If so, id start drinking it around day 3.

Thanks for your response! Is that for my specific recipe as well? As instead of putting in half the yeast packet or so I put in the full thing, and I am trying to make it more than 2% alcoholic (I'm new to brewing).

The alcohol % is more dependent on the amount of sugar used. Kvass traditionally is drank very young, often before its fully fermented. By day five it should be fully fermented, and will probably be rather tart/cidery, especially if you used bread yeast. Putting in extra yeast is fine, probably wont make much difference in kvass.

Ok thanks, at this point how should I continue. I am thinking add some sugar, transfer to soda bottle to carbonate. Then wait some days? Not sure how many days and if this is the correct way to proceed though.

What I ended up doing was strained out the raisins, added a little bit of sugar, and then transferred to a coke bottle and placed in fridge. I'll try it in a few hours once its cool :D Very excited for my first batch of a drink that didn't end up green!

yep wait 2 to 3 days. vent the soda bottle from time to time if it looks pressurized.

I'm a little late to the party, but I've been brewing kvass regularly for several months and wanted to jump in.
I find that as long as you are using soda bottles, it's good to leave them out at room temp until they get rock hard, and then chill quite well. My little fridge gets pretty cool, 40F or so. I find best taste is in the 3-5 day range after cooling them down. They are CAR-BO-NATED but I've had only one or two gushers in many gallons worth of bottles.
I was brand new with the hydrometer and trying to test a carbonated liquid, but I think my last batch of apple kvass turned out round about 3%, but I can't find my flippin' notes for all the details. :mad:

Anyhoo, hope that helps and glad to see others making kvass! :mug:

Back