plastic vz glass bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywit

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I just started doing my own brews but did use the coopers kit for a while, I still have a ton of there plastic bottles and am wondering if i should spend the extra money on glass bottles, or are the plastic bottles the coopers kit came with ok. After reading up on some information plastic is making me nervous.

There is a sticky This vs, That that covers this and that. Perosnal preference and you can argue both sides until you loose your voice LOL

i still use my coopers bottles, ive never had a problem with them. Our community pool doesnt allow glass bottles so the coopers Pet bottles come in quite handy.. :D

If they worked fine for your cooper's kits, they will work fine for other beer...beer is beer afterall.

It's up to you if you want to make the switch...but not because there's any reason outside of personal preference.

Keep using them and slowly acquire cap-able bottles for free. It really won't take too long to get glass without having to buy them.

It seems at first that accumulating bottles is difficult but if you drink micros you will accumulate them really quickly. Also if you mention around to people that you brew and need crown bottles they will start showing up. I even had my building super let himself in to my place and drop off several sixers when he was working on something in my place.

There's also craigslist, and freecycle.org, hooking up with other homebrewers, recycling centers. Asking at beerstores that have a good selection of beer for their returnables.

That's just the thing Revvy, about 1 in 3 of the coppers batches never turned out, the beer seemed to be fine when i bottled it and then would go sour. I don't know if it was the bottles or maybe just dropping the sugar tablets right into the bottle. I just got all the equipment to make 5 gallon batches and went with glass carboys. I did several 1 gallon batches and and did use the 8 glass bottles I do have and did boil my sugar and never had a problem, all the beer turned out great.

That's just the thing Revvy, about 1 in 3 of the coppers batches never turned out, the beer seemed to be fine when i bottled it and then would go sour. I don't know if it was the bottles or maybe just dropping the sugar tablets right into the bottle. I just got all the equipment to make 5 gallon batches and went with glass carboys. I did several 1 gallon batches and and did use the 8 glass bottles I do have and did boil my sugar and never had a problem, all the beer turned out great.

i doubt its the bottles, did the sour beers carb up properly?

FWIW I use both. I split about 50/50 plastic and glass, then keep the glass longer and the plastic ones I drink first. This way I've always got a good supply of beer to drink all the time, plus I've got at least a crate of each beer I've brewed in the last 6 months just sitting there.

Back