Planning a Bock; what kind of yeast to use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auspice

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing my own recipe Bock next week and was wondering what kind of yeast I should use. I've read that some yeasts can't handle higher ABV fermentation very well and was hoping to get some input. Thus far I've only used dry yeast packets but I'm not opposed to using liquid cultures. Here's the recipe as it stands:

6.50 lb Extra Light Dry Extract
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt
0.50 lb Munich Malt
2.00 oz Hallertauer (60 min)
0.50 oz Crystal (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)

Beersmith estimates the OG to be 1.072 and the FG to be 1.016 with an ABV of 7.32. I was initially planning on using RedStar Ale yeast but didn't know if I would need to use multiple packs of it or if I should switch to something different altogether.

For that matter, I'm also planning a Wee Heavy(that is going to be around 9% ABV) and if I could use the same yeast that'd be awesome.

Thanks in advance for helping out a novice like myself. :)

Bock is a lager. There's a yeast, in fact, called "German Bock Lager," aka WLP833. For dry yeast, Saflager W-34/70 is not too bad a choice, but it might have a crisper character than you really want.

There isn't a beer yeast out there that's going to have any trouble getting you to 9% as long as you give it all the necessary nutrients (O2, Ca, etc.), but the go-to yeast for Scottish styles is the McEwan's strain, "Edinburgh Ale," aka WLP028.

Both worts, though, would make a perfectly delicious ale using a single pack of Nottingham.:mug:

My only problem is that I can't lager my beer so I was going to stick with an ale yeast. At least, until I can pick up a cheap fridge on Craig's list or something.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

My only problem is that I can't lager my beer so I was going to stick with an ale yeast. At least, until I can pick up a cheap fridge on Craig's list or something.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)
Steambock? i'm in.

A always use Wyeast Bavarian Lager. Sorry, but if you don't lager it, it's not a bock.

For your wee heavy, you will probably use Wyeast Scottish Ale yeast.

I would argue that you shouldn't use a liquid strain for your Bock, unless you can comfortably make at least a gallon of starter, or repitch from a previous lager. That said, the liquid strains are great. I would pitch in 3 x 12g packages of the dried saflager 34/70.

Maybe I'll just put the Bock on hold until I can truly do it justice by lagering. Guess the scotch ale will be next up!

Back