Pizza night at la Casa de Matt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh,.......Pizzaaaaaa!!!!!

This my summer project. I just closed in the dome today.
OvenBuild151Small.jpg

OvenBuild152Small.jpg

That is awesome. I'd be interested in a write-up or materials list if you have one. Not that I'd be able to build it anytime soon, but someday.....

Ahhh,.......Pizzaaaaaa!!!!!

This my summer project. I just closed in the dome today.
OvenBuild151Small.jpg

OvenBuild152Small.jpg

That is great to look at there! I thought I was happy just looking at my BBQ with a few bricks on it doing up Pizza...new goal to be brought out.

PS...Who would have thought that a drunken night without the girlfriend turned into a thread all about pizza. I love it, keep it coming!

FYI, for adventurous pizza makers,

Never, ever use whole wheat flour for your crust. Just saying.

You know, the trick is to not use all whole wheat and expect the same crust as a AP flour pizza. But, you can do this, replace like 10-15% of the AP flour with Wheat and you get a very similar texture (bit more heft though) and can also get some of those useful nutrients. For some real fun I have used this whole wheat seed mixture that has all sorts of different seeds resting in whole wheat flour. Just a tablespoon or two of that and your pizza is super delicious!

If making a whole wheat flour pizza (50% or more whole wheat flour), add more water for a looser dough and just expect it to be not quite so supple. I always get a denser pizza, but some people like it that way so the pizza is more for them than for me.

I make a pretty decent whole wheat-ish pizza using about 50% King Arthor white whole wheat flour(it's not really white but kind of light brown)and 50% Hi protein/Hi gluten flour such as General Mills "All Trumps" or King Arthor "Sir Lancelot". The KASL is my main pizza flour. It's unbleached and unbromated. I buy it in 50# bags.
Once my brick oven is ready, I'll be using Caputo 00 grade flour for authentic Neopolitan style pizza.

mmmm pizza with pepperoni sausage orange bell pepper onions olives and the peppers used to give the pepper vodka from the distillery its kick, I think they are sorrano they get steeped for 4 days and when its done they are pretty mild and taste kinda like melon and a Hefe to top it off!

4856129116_2e0489b654.jpg

4856132224_7b5fe401b7.jpg

Making Pizza tonight! Got my dough rising in the fridge and will end up making a bacon and pepper pizza, a mushroom and olive pizza and one other that I have yet to figure out. Maybe Salami...mmmmm....

Is it wrong that I looked at the picture of the first pizza with that huge crust around the edge and imagined dunking the crust in the Orval?

Not at all. I have a cousin that dips his bread in wine. I tried it and damn near gagged. And I love wine! Beer would be much easier.

I am trying to emulate that first pizza again. It was a beauty in mouthfeel and texture. Will be taking the dough out of the fridge soon and I will take a picture of it pre-pizza.

Kinda blurry but you get the point. That is some local olive oil from a guy a friend buys grapes (to make wine) from. It is super delicate and spicy as all hell. It just came out of the fridge. I couldn't wait very long :)

photo-713354.jpg

Made up the dough, sauce and the pizzas came out delicious and chewy as all heck.

P1010489.JPG

P1010490.JPG

P1010495.JPG

P1010497.JPG

Finally, I was able to find a high-gluten flour in my area, an essential for NY-style pizza. This pizza was almost perfect-- the crust crunched when folded, nice color underneath, wonderful flavor. Please forgive the crappy cell-phone camera shots, but I have no clue where my pointy-****e... er, point-and-shoot camera is.

470-my-pizza.jpg

471-pizza.jpg

472-pizza.jpg

474-img-0823.jpg

I'm a great pizza maker. I sent off for 00 flour from some king or something. Rehydrated it for 20 minutes before I kneaded it and did an overnight rise in the fridge. Let it sit for an hour to bring it to room temperature. Carefully spread it on the pizza peel by hand and let it raise again for 30 minutes. Spread the Castaliana tomato sauce that was prepared simply with a few garlic cloves and extra virgin olive oil. Used fresh Bocacia Buffalo Mozzarella made yesterday and had tiny fresh basil leaves ready for sprinkling on the finish. Decided to use my super grill to heat the pizza stone to 9 gazzillion degrees to get that perfect crust. Here's a pic and I'll be your mouths are watering now!

Meh.. I drank a few of my Pliny clones and called Round Table

Pizza.jpg

I'm a great pizza maker. I sent off for 00 flour from some king or something. Rehydrated it for 20 minutes before I kneaded it and did an overnight rise in the fridge. Let it sit for an hour to bring it to room temperature. Carefully spread it on the pizza peel by hand and let it raise again for 30 minutes. Spread the Castaliana tomato sauce that was prepared simply with a few garlic cloves and extra virgin olive oil. Used fresh Bocacia Buffalo Mozzarella made yesterday and had tiny fresh basil leaves ready for sprinkling on the finish. Decided to use my super grill to heat the pizza stone to 9 gazzillion degrees to get that perfect crust. Here's a pic and I'll be your mouths are watering now!

Meh.. I drank a few of my Pliny clones and called Round Table
Oooooooh, look at that bark! That is a boston butt right?

EDIT: jpc, NICE! That's just the way I like 'em, maybe pepperoni but I like my pizza pretty plain so I can enjoy the crust/sauce/cheese. If it's crappy pizza, then load it up but if it's good pizza I want to taste the pizza itself (instead of toppings). Just the way I like it, not implying any pizza with lots of toppings is bad. Matt's look delish too, great cutaway shot of the crust!

i think your doing it wrong....
sad sad day though

Hahaa.. yeah. Everything in this thread just looked way to delicious, I thought I'd interject some FAIL Even when you do almost everything right and with great care, if you do one thing wrong.. it can look like this did in the garbage.

Hahaa.. yeah. Everything in this thread just looked way to delicious, I thought I'd interject some FAIL Even when you do almost everything right and with great care, if you do one thing wrong.. it can look like this did in the garbage.

I was just talking with a fellow pizza fan who recently began using his grill at some odd 700* for like a minute and a half a side, and he says, "Have you tried yet?" I says back, "Nope. I know what I get at 550*, I am not about to try 9 gazillion." Good luck next time and just hop back on the horse to get another dough working ASAP.

Oooooooh, look at that bark! That is a boston butt right?

EDIT: jpc, NICE! That's just the way I like 'em, maybe pepperoni but I like my pizza pretty plain so I can enjoy the crust/sauce/cheese. If it's crappy pizza, then load it up but if it's good pizza I want to taste the pizza itself (instead of toppings). Just the way I like it, not implying any pizza with lots of toppings is bad. Matt's look delish too, great cutaway shot of the crust!

Thanks.

I agree with your preferences as well; 7/10 times, when I order pizza, I get the standard "large cheese" pie.

I did also make a couple others, with ham/mushroom/peppers and one with some fresh basil and oregano underneath the cheese, mainly for SWMBO. This was the first time using this particular flour, and the best way to tell the differences is to not load it up with too much stuff.

Must have been a night for pizza. I made 3 last night.

A bit disappointed as I didn't add enough sugar and Italian spices to the dough, but everyone liked it anyway.

550 degrees is what I use too, only because that's the highest non-broil setting on my oven. 550 and about 6-7 minutes is perfect.

Must have been a night for pizza. I made 3 last night.

A bit disappointed as I didn't add enough sugar and Italian spices to the dough, but everyone liked it anyway.

550 degrees is what I use too, only because that's the highest non-broil setting on my oven. 550 and about 6-7 minutes is perfect.

When you mention sugar, are you talking about the sweetness or the amount that it rose? I know that there are some deep dish pizzas that feature a sweetness to the dough, but I haven't had too many sweet thin crusts.

Got to thinking about pizza last night. We have tomatoes growing, got a nice basil plant, and a brand new grill. Then we got a kitchenaid mixer for my birthday. I think a grilled pizza margherita is coming this fall...

What do you mean this fall? Should be happening tonight! I know that we west coasters have had the mildest summer in years, but I pulled off a green tomato just so that I could have the flavor of homegrown rather than that storebought crap.

It's been so freakin' hot here in Boston the very thought of turning the oven on is making me sweat. I don't think I've used it all summer, I've only used the grill. I like a little olive oil, a bunch of garlic, some shrimp and scallops topped with mozzy cheeese. I like that combination even better when it's cooked on the grill. You can make a sweet pizza in a really hot grill.

PTN

I'm in the pacific northwest. My early girls are just now starting to get small green tomatoes on 'em. Not gonna be harvesting for a while!

Paul, you're a ***** and I hate you.

ChshreCat, Even though I would never normally have the same growing season as you, this year we are damn near the same. I understand your pain. I wish that I could just kill myself because the only thing that I can grow this year is Basil, Zucchini and Spaghetti Squash. Especially Spaghetti Squash.

Paul, Even though I hate you, we need to swap some booze soon. I have wine, beer and even some of the local beverages. I am about to open your second bottle of wine you sent me soon and I figure I will enjoy it. You need to make more and send it to me. I have three years of wine that you should try and I will happily swap you wine for beer that I can't get, wine for wine that you made and if you have any of that stinking Russ.River project, I would swap that for wine. Of course, you know I am good for getting you RR beer if you like... In fact I just enjoyed some serious beer in the last week. If you want a growler though I might ask you for some more help than just swapping beer.

Damn, I just tangented badly...

And Paul, you can't have a comeback even though you will. Just don't post. It won't make any sense because I already mentioned it. And I do stilll not enjoy your company Paul. All you do is make beer that takes like 8 years and I don't drink anything that old.

That's a great way to get me to ship you booze, tell me what a ****** I am. I spend a lot of time trying to forget that I'm a ******, I was doing pretty well the past few days, hadn't been reminded about it at all. Thanks a freakin' lot. Buttwad!

So, what do you want? How about a bottle of the Consecration and a bottle of the Utopia and you send me a kidney?

PTN

I think I misplaced a kidney last night, but I will still take that trade. And it was over 7, I told you that before. How about you send a bottle of each of those and I send you a care package full of goodies from around here.

I just got back from a buying spree of Pliny, Blind Pig, Supplication and Concecration, along with the Sierra 30th Stout and Bock and 1 can of Imperial which I am enjoying currently.

Last nights Sicilian pizza and pepperoni pinwheels. Also some more recent shots of the oven. It's almost time to fire it up!
OvenBuild197Small.jpg

OvenBuild201Small.jpg

OvenBuild195Small.jpg

OvenBuild205Small.jpg

OvenBuild207Small.jpg

Evets,
Is your floor mortared in place or set in sand? Did you use a perlite/vermiculite mix for the pour?

PTN

No, not mortared in place. Just set in a 50/50 mix of fine sand and fireclay. The floor bricks sit on a four inch mixture of 5 parts vermiculite 1 part portland cement. All this sits on a 5 inch concrete slab with rebar.
If you want, you can see the whole project from the start here. I haven't got quite caught up with the photos there yet though. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/evs-42-pompeii-lancaster-co-pa-13750.html

I need a pizza tip here... I always seem to have the bottom getting too browned before the top has a chance to finish far enough. What can I do to prevent this? I have a narrow oven... would that make some sort of difference?

Back