Struggled with Chemistry, not good at Cooking, but Brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sergeant Hops

Reaction score
So in high school I was terrible at Chemistry. I thought oh Math isn't too bad, I can knock this out. Oh, Basic Science, Biology? I survived that. Introducing CHEMISTRY. Dun dun dun. I struggled and probably wouldn't have passed if it were not for a girl I was dating in the class who coached me through. I've never been too great at cooking either. I've followed recipes and made amazing enchiladas and sauce, and I can crack open a box of mac n cheese or can of soup like no one else, but I'm no whiz in the kitchen like my wife is 👩‍🍳. Now just over 10 years later I find myself doing what feels like mad science experiments 👨‍🔬 , cooking up delicious liquid bread 😋🍻. Funny how things turn out in life 🤔.

Now, I'm not sure how relateable Chemistry and Homebrew are, so don't chastise me in the thread 😳🤷‍♂️, lol. Paying attention to the water you use, how much water and grain, the temperatures, air, and especially your type of yeasts used, and all of the other many steps and factors that come into play....to me it all feels very sciency! Especially when I get out my graduated cylinder, hydrometer, refractometer, scale, and all my other doo dads, equipment and gadgets, as I throw on an apron and start sanitizing stuff. What I do know for sure is I love every bit of this.

I'm in the military right now (going on 7 years active duty Air Force Security Forces), so we move around every few years. When we got to San Antonio, Texas, I ran across a homebrew store, and it sparked our interest. My wife had prior experience at a micro-brew where I met her, as an assistant brewer and brewed a lot of batches on a bigger level (100-150 gallon batches). I had prior experience devouring beers. We now have a little one, another little one on the way, bunch of dogs and cats, so our house is a madhouse.

I started homebrewing 6 months ago, but in that short time I've brewed 11 Ales, 1 Lager, 4 Wines, and 2 ciders (only one of the beers and my first cider turned out bad.) My Black Currant IPA, Spicy Habanero Red Irish Ale and Peanut Butter Jelly Brown Ale have knocked peoples socks off so far.) I started out with extract kits, but quickly got out of that and did an extract from scratch on my 4th batch. It turned out to be one of my best beers, and everyones favorite. I finally got the equipment and a little know-how to do an all-grain batch for the first time a couple weeks ago, and so far it is going great! Definitely not going back to kits or even extract in general, although I enjoyed the conveinence. Highly recommend Brewers Best kits. I loved mashing 😊 and controlling the whole process. Just waiting on the taste test! 🍺 I hope to gain a lot of advice and get insight here. I'm still learning so much. Feel like I know nothing still.

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from Colorado :mug:

homebrewing is 90% cleaning...are you good at that?

I feel like that's all I do on brew and bottle days 🥴. Especially since I reuse and wash bottles. Wash, rinse, store, and then sanitize them all right before bottling. I have fun sanitizing though, especially all the equipment. Its a worthwhile chore knowing the end product 😋. I would like to keg eventually. Bottling is very conveinant for me, though, because I sample a lot of my beers to friends at work to get feedback and it feels good giving some beers. They save my bottles and give them back (washed), even throw some donation my way sometimes. Its a fun hobby.

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from Colorado :mug:

homebrewing is 90% cleaning...are you good at that?

He's Military, of course he's good at cleaning lol. Welcome to the forum/obsession from Nebraska! Brewing is intimidating, there's no doubt about that but it seems you have a pretty good grasp on it.

I started a Lawncare business when I was a Freshman in highschool and dropped out Sophomore year because it 'was a waste of time sitting here and not getting paid, i'm never going to use this s**t in the real world'...Dumbest decision ever. Although, I was making more in Sophomore year than my teachers lol. Still...I'd change it all if given the chance..Cheers!

(Sorry about the little rant, I've got a slight buzz goin!)

He's Military, of course he's good at cleaning lol. Welcome to the forum/obsession from Nebraska! Brewing is intimidating, there's no doubt about that but it seems you have a pretty good grasp on it.

I started a Lawncare business when I was a Freshman in highschool and dropped out Sophomore year because it 'was a waste of time sitting here and not getting paid, i'm never going to use this s**t in the real world'...Dumbest decision ever. Although, I was making more in Sophomore year than my teachers lol. Still...I'd change it all if given the chance..Cheers!

(Sorry about the little rant, I've got a slight buzz goin!)

Very good, 🍻. Yes, you joke, but as soon as I joined the military, I was latrine crew in basic....very fun... then throughout career its pick up brass, clean vehicles, clean weapons, clean equipment. Lol. I hated high school, suprised I made it through (issue with authority, imagine the reactions when I decided to join military 🤣). My big brother is a genuis, he made straight As in high school and he dropped out. Later he got his GED, joined the Army, got out pursued his passion and is doing very well now. You can always do something, there is always time 👍🏻. I take online classes now and want to quit all the time, but gotta do it while its somewhat free.

Very good, 🍻. Yes, you joke, but as soon as I joined the military, I was latrine crew in basic....very fun... then throughout career its pick up brass, clean vehicles, clean weapons, clean equipment. Lol. I hated high school, suprised I made it through (issue with authority, imagine the reactions when I decided to join military 🤣). My big brother is a genuis, he made straight As in high school and he dropped out. Later he got his GED, joined the Army, got out pursued his passion and is doing very well now. You can always do something, there is always time 👍🏻. I take online classes now and want to quit all the time, but gotta do it while its somewhat free.

Dont get me wrong, I love what I do. My company is successful and I've built a good name for myself. I just wish I would have known at the time that in order to maintain athletic fields or golf courses you need a college degree. Turns out all the math, science and chemistry they were trying to teach me wasn't so dumb after all...

I tried joining the Military but due to some legal reasons, nobody would sign me. After talking with several of my enlisted friends and family members they all said they would much rather mow lawns for me lol. Cheers!

I think Trigonometry was useless. Glad I was taught what a cosine is to prepare me for life, instead of how to do my taxes, build credit, work on cars, etc 🤣. Luckily my dad and others taught those, oh and the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

Back