Pittsburgh/Western PA Group By #9+

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Edit 1/31/15 - buy cycle is closed, but this thread is discussing other alternatives and buy options. Check the latest posts for info.

Edit 11/15: September buy complete. We're in process of organizing December pickup.

First 42 unique sacks of grain get on the pallet. After that the splits will be open.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK Folks - Buy is open starting 11/1.

I've finally got off my butt and set up a website to try and organize the buy (vs. using the googledoc spreadsheet. Please bear with me - if it works, we'll continue to use it. If not, i'll get the orders moved back to Google doc form.

For those of you who are new - the majority of the rules were inherited from the folks who did Buy #1 and #2.

Finally - everyone who wants in should click on the google doc link after the overview section. I'll add you to the website and give access to the pricelists per HBT rules.

Overview:

1. Group buy 9 will be rolling - goal is to close and distribute a buy every 1-2 months (or as soon as a pallet fills). Target is to close the first Buy in early October.

2. Operating costs - delivery, pickup location costs/shelving, odds and ends is 0.14/lb ($7/50#). This is much simpler than trying to guess monthly costs and then refund after. See below for details on why this is needed and what we'll do if the value goes over.

3. Paypal/checkout fees are $3.00 + 0.30 for the order. That cost is built in, so you'll get a discount If you're doing check/money order. Since we're using an invite only website this time, ONLY CHOOSE GROUP BUY PAYMENT OPTION. BOGUS GATEWAY (OBVIOUSLY) WON'T WORK.

3a. Chemicals, additives, etc. are taxable. Grains/hops are not. You should see this reflected in the "shopping cart."

4. Small items (hops, non bulk items) tend to be out of stock at Brewcraft, so I'll put them up if I have them on hand (Brewcraft's stock management is horrific). If you *need* yeast let me know, and I'll try to order some.

5. I'll post updates with peoples orders and the splits on a daily basis so people know what is open.

6. SPLITS - Anything marked "bulk" should have an option for the appropriate split (1/4, 1/10, etc. as appropriate). If you want more, put in a higher quantity (e.g. qty 2 for a 1/2 split.

7. There's no good way to do tips on this site, so they're not included. If you want to give a tip to defray the volunteer's grain costs, we'd be happy to take it during pick-up!

The rest of the content below is from the regular group buy rules.

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND THE FOLLOWING:
Please fill out THIS GOOGLE FORM to get access to the buy. You must be a HBT member in good standing to take part in the buy.

**If you've already participated, just put in your HBT Username, email address, and any info that may have changed from the last buy. Otherwise fill out all input **

~First & Last Name
~HBT Username
~Contact Number
~Address
~payment method - check/money order or Paypal
- Confirm Paypal® address is the same as email using or give your Paypal® Address.

If I do not receive this information you will not gain access to the buy.

(All of the above information will be kept private. I will only contact you by phone if something may be out of stock and I need to get a hold of you quickly. I will also use your city info to post to a list so everyone can see where people are located. This can be used to carpool or have someone close to you pick up your grain. You will have to make arrangements with that person. Again I will not share info except the city. Let me know if you do not want that to be shared.)

Here's the deal:

1. We need to fill at least one pallet which is about 42 sacks. If we go over we need to get as close to 84 sacks to make the shipping reasonable throughout the second pallet.

2. Buyers will have to come pick up their bags at the drop off location (Pittsburgh, PA 15203). I will include the exact address when I send invoices. If you can't make the group buy day we can work out an alternative date.

3. Payments will be accepted through PayPal® or bank/cashiers check/money order (PayPal preferred) only because it is the easiest way to collect money from this many people. PayPal fee is approx. 4% extra.

4. Shipping is approximately $0.14/lb in 10lb increments ($7.00 per 50# sack) and will be calculated for you.

5. Taxes must be collected on chemicals and additives - everything else is a food item and tax free.

6. Since we're running this through a website, all previous (unfilled) items aren't being carried over. Everything going forward will be rolling.

7. You can keep a track on completed orders by viewing the googledoc spreadsheet provided when you sign up.

When I get your info I'll send the price list and grain list, and send an invite to the group buy page.

We're using a website to try and simplify the buy - easiest way is to search for items. If there is anything in the catalog that is not in the full bag or split bag that you would like please email me for info.

PAYMENTS:
Payments will be collected as each pallet is closed (e.g. we have secured 42 sacks). For now any "payment at time of order" options have been disabled on the website (wanted to avoid taking payments until orders were ready) If you have issues with paying via PayPal® contact me. If you do not make payment within 1 week from the time invoices are sent with actual pricing, you risk forfeiting your right to buy your grain on this buy. If you can't make your payment within 1 week, please contact me. Do this out of courtesy for the group.

Operating Costs:
Group buys have a few overhead items - monthly fee for storage unit where we get and store the grain (has a lift gate and people to receive/monitor orders), pallet shipping charges, gas overages (usually 25-30% of shipping fees), chemical hazard fees, last minute price changes, and people reneging on orders at the last minute. 8 Pallets/year is the break even mark (short orders come out of my pocket).

Operating costs are calculated as "shipping cost" for the order. This is *MUCH* simpler than any other method we've tried in Group Buy's #3 - #8. If there is surplus at the end of the year, it can be refunded, donated to the Brew House association (where we have pickup gatherings), or rolled over to decrease the operating costs for next year - your choice.

PROCESS
1. Buy will be officially open on 9/1, but feel free to send emails earlier

2. I will submit order for finalized pricing

3. Invoices will be sent as soon as the buy closes

4. After all payments are received order will be placed

5. Will give everyone an ETA.

6. Pick up your grains and we all say cheers! (literally - there's lots of good homebrews at pickup)

~Pickup address will be provided on invoices
~You, as the buyer, are responsible for picking up your grain or for making arrangements for someone else to pick it up for you.

Bring your invoice to the pick up location to help ease the process.

FOR SPLIT SACKS:
Work out the details with your partners. Bring something to put your share in, weigh it out on site, and take your portion. Or, one of you picks up the whole sack and deal with the splitting on your own time. That’s your decision to make with you splitting partners.

~For reference a 5 gallon bucket holds a 25# of most grains.

DONATIONS:The people who work these grain buys do a lot of back end work to make these buys go as smoothly as possible. If you would like to show your appreciation please feel free to bring a donation on pickup day.

FINAL THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND:
- Some people have issues with google docs if they don't have a google account. If that's the case you may need to create one.
- Only update the first tab in the spreadsheet. If you put your order on the other tabs, it will be lost.
- Grain is heavy. If you're planning on picking up grain for people, check the cargo capacity of your vehicle. Most passenger cars are 800# or less.

Last edited:
There's a bunch of you who have credits due to short shipment on the last buy. I promise I haven't forgotten about it. Shoot me an email if you want that as a check/paypal refund, or if you'd rather roll it over.

I'll follow up individually if I don't hear back.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

All - if you filled out the buy request form on the google doc, you should now have access to all materials.

Let me know if you have any issues. I'll try to turn around responses within 24 hours or less.

Thanks!
Kyle

I created a password on the site using the link I was sent, and got a confirmation email. When I go to the site I get taken to a password entry page that says "This site is for members only. Enter the general password if you have access."

When I try to use the password I created to login, I get "Password incorrect, please try again."

Any help?

Has been a while since I've participated but will be in my new house this month and will be looking to get back into brewing. Perfect timing to fill up the Homer Buckets and homebrew pipeline!

SPK - I sent that password out in a separate email. It is not your unique password. Depending on when i sent it back to you, that password may also be in the invite email.

I'll send you an email directly.

Note - Do not post the site password to here - The purpose is to make sure only registered local HBT members in good standing get on the site and not general internet folks.

Kyle,

I think you should add a Donations section under the "Product Collections" section of the store. Then have $1, $5, $10, $15, & $20 items people can add to their cart. This should make it easier for people to say thanks to everyone that help organize these buys.

Kyle,

I think you should add a Donations section under the "Product Collections" section of the store. Then have $1, $5, $10, $15, & $20 items people can add to their cart. This should make it easier for people to say thanks to everyone that help organize these buys.

Will do.

All - i think we've worked out *most* of the kinks, so thank you to the early participants!

we currently have 16 sacks of 42 on the first pallet. Here's the open splits:

note - 0.75 means that 3/4 of the sack is open (1/4 is filled).

BZ-ACID Best Malz Acidulated Malt - Bulk - 0.75
Canada Malting 2 Row Superior Pilsen Malt - Bulk - 0.75
Carapils Malt - Bulk - 0.75
Star San Bulk Sanitizer - 0.75
Wheat Malt - Bulk - 0.75
BD-VIEN Vienna - Bulk - 0.5
Great Western Malting 2Row Premium Malt - Bulk - 0.5
Great Western Malting Crystal 60 Malt - Bulk - 0.5
Rice Hulls - Bulk - 0.5
TF&S Optic Pale Ale Malt - Bulk - 0.5

A good bit of those splits are mine and I am comfortable with changing to a different brand if someone is partial to one I didn’t select. Not sure how easy that is (for brewguyver or us) now that I submitted my order already but just wanted to put it out there.

Is getting yeast possible? I'd like to get some us-05 to have on hand as I typically decide to brew at the drop of a hat. Sucks to have to go to the lhbs on brew day.

How do you go about changing your personal password for the store site?

If you search, US-05 should be listed. The gotcha is if it's available at the time. As long as you don't bet on it being there and are OK with a refund, i'm happy to make it available.

There should be an account link up there somewhere to change your password. Let me know fi you can't find it and i'll click the reset button to send you another one.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Hunk cought double counting in the totals - we're actually at 13 sacks. Here are the splits.

BZ-ACID Best Malz Acidulated Malt - Bulk -0.75
Breiss Carapils Malt - Bulk -0.75
Great Western Malting Crystal 60 Malt - Bulk -0.75
Rice Hulls - Bulk -0.75
Star San Bulk Sanitizer -0.75
Briess - 2-Row Caramel Malt 40L - Bulk -0.5
BD-MUNH Munich - Bulk -0.5
BD-VIEN Vienna - Bulk -0.5
Great Western Malting 2Row Premium Malt - Bulk -0.5
TF&S Optic Pale Ale Malt - Bulk -0.5
Fawcett - Wheat Malt - Bulk -0.5

I may pick up a quarter on the optic, if anyone wants to close it out.

Currently at 23/42 sacks on the first pallet with the following open splits:

• BZ-ACID Best Malz Acidulated Malt - Bulk -0.75
  • Breiss Carapils Malt - Bulk -0.75
  • Great Western Malting Crystal 60 Malt - Bulk -0.75
  • GP-Rice - Rice Hulls - Bulk -0.75
  • Best Malz Munich Malt - Bulk -0.75
  • Breiss - 2-Row Caramel Malt 40L - Bulk -0.5
  • BD-MUNH Munich - Bulk -0.5
  • BD-VIEN Vienna - Bulk -0.5
  • Great Western Malting 2Row Premium Malt - Bulk -0.5
  • Fawcett - Wheat Malt - Bulk -0.5
  • Star San Bulk Sanitizer -0.25
  • Five Star Chemicals PBW Cleaner -0.7

Note - TF-Optic split is closed.

Are you guys open to people from outside W PA?

I'm from Western NY, but have relatives in the Tri-state area. I'd like to time a visit with your pickup date.

As long as you're up for the drive, we're happy to have you. We've had people from Buffalo and other areas in the past.

Status spreadsheet is updated as of the orders from 1:00 PM. If your stuff isn't showing up, you probably haven't "checked out." No issues if you want to do a separate order later - we're not limited on how many orders we do.

BTW - for those putting in new orders, put your splits and whole order separately. That way if your splits don't make it on, we only have to adjust 1 order.

Here's the open splits:
  • BZ-ACID Best Malz Acidulated Malt - Bulk -0.75
  • GP-Rice Rice Hulls - Bulk -0.75
  • Breiss 2-Row Caramel Malt 40L - Bulk -0.5
  • Great Western Malting 2Row Premium Malt - Bulk -0.5
  • Fawcett Wheat Malt - Bulk -0.25

Closed Splits
  • TF&S Optic Pale Ale Malt - Bulk
  • BD-MUNH Munich - Bulk
  • BD-VIEN Vienna - Bulk

Hi All,

This is who I have invited to the buy so far. If you're not on this list, then you haven't filled out the registration form, and haven't gotten access. If you are on this list and don't have access as of 2:00 PM today, please let me know.

Also - if you have a credit from the previous buy and I haven't given you a discount code, please reach out to me as well.

Thanks!
Brewguyver.

• attyindaburgh
  • TheHunk
  • dwoods
  • Weezy
  • spkguitar
  • shuggy
  • Horseballs
  • ButcherBoy
  • coyote68
  • joyceman
  • stack
  • Kpr121
  • bnmir
  • fredtheseal
  • Icubrew
  • neutrinodust
  • Clutch
  • Trimixdiver1
  • dkirsch16
  • b-boy
  • smeltz

Just put in my order.

Im liking the site. Any chance we can get an option to filter for only items in stock? Seems like a majority of the hops are out of stock.

Thanks for the web work and organization Kyle.

Just put in my order.

Im liking the site. Any chance we can get an option to filter for only items in stock? Seems like a majority of the hops are out of stock.

Thanks for the web work and organization Kyle.

Your welcome! I'll try and look at this over the weekend to see how to do that.

Here's the current update:
  • Pallet 1 is full
  • 7/42 sacks are on pallet #2 so far

Open Splits:
  • Great Western Malting Crystal 15 Malt - Bulk -0.75
  • BRIESS MALTING 2 ROW CARAPILS MALT - Bulk -0.75
  • BRIESS MALTING CARAMEL MALT 40L - Bulk -0.75
  • OiO/Gilbertson & Page Pre-Gelatinized Flaked Oats - Bulk -0.75
  • Flaked Rye - Bulk -0.75
  • Breiss 2-Row Caramel Malt 40L - Bulk -0.5
  • BZ-ACID Best Malz Acidulated Malt - Bulk -0.5
  • Great Western 2Row Vienna Malt - Bulk -0.5
  • TF&S Pearl Pale Ale Malt - Bulk -0.5

Closed Splits:
  • TF&S Optic Pale Ale Malt - Bulk
  • BD-MUNH Munich - Bulk
  • BD-VIEN Vienna - Bulk
  • Great Western Malting 2Row Premium Malt - Bulk

Hi All -

I've colored in the group buy report to show what items are on each pallet. If anyone is color blind please PM/Email me and I can change it up so that the color intensities differ (e.g. would be easy to differentiate if printed black & white).

I'm going to hold off for another week or two before placing the order, depending on whether it looks like the 2nd pallet will close. That way we don't have to cancel splits out of orders.

Last update for Wed 9/10.

Pallet 1 is full, pallet 2 has 9/42 sacks on it.

Open Splits:
BD-MUNH Munich - Bulk -0.75
Great Western Malting Crystal 60 Malt - Bulk -0.75
GP-Rice Rice Hulls - Bulk -0.75
Best Malz Munich Malt - Bulk -0.75
Great Western Malting Crystal 15 Malt - Bulk -0.75
OiO/Gilbertson & Page Pre-Gelatinized Flaked Oats - Bulk -0.75
Flaked Rye - Bulk -0.75
2-Row Caramel Malt 60L - Bulk -0.75
Five Star Chemicals PBW Cleaner -0.7
BZ-ACID Best Malz Acidulated Malt - Bulk -0.5
Great Western 2Row Vienna Malt - Bulk -0.5
TF&S Pearl Pale Ale Malt - Bulk -0.5
Breiss Carapils Malt - Bulk -0.25
Star San Bulk Sanitizer -0.25
Fawcett Wheat Malt - Bulk -0.25

Recently closed splits:
  • Breiss 2-Row Caramel Malt 40L - Bulk Pallet 2

Sorry, work is crazy and have been looking at posts. I am on the invite list but didn't submit order yet. Will be doing it this weekend, if not sooner. Looks like pallet #2 for me and may help closing out a split or two, but might make another. Thanks to all involved with this!!

Hi All -

I've colored in the group buy report to show what items are on each pallet. If anyone is color blind please PM/Email me and I can change it up so that the color intensities differ (e.g. would be easy to differentiate if printed black & white).

I'm going to hold off for another week or two before placing the order, depending on whether it looks like the 2nd pallet will close. That way we don't have to cancel splits out of orders.

Where is the group buy report?

Hi All,

This is who I have invited to the buy so far. If you're not on this list, then you haven't filled out the registration form, and haven't gotten access. If you are on this list and don't have access as of 2:00 PM today, please let me know.

Also - if you have a credit from the previous buy and I haven't given you a discount code, please reach out to me as well.

Thanks!
Brewguyver.

• attyindaburgh
  • TheHunk
  • dwoods
  • Weezy
  • spkguitar
  • shuggy
  • Horseballs
  • ButcherBoy
  • coyote68
  • joyceman
  • stack
  • Kpr121
  • bnmir
  • fredtheseal
  • Icubrew
  • neutrinodust
  • Clutch
  • Trimixdiver1
  • dkirsch16
  • b-boy
  • smeltz

Please remove my name from this list as I did not participate. Also please reply back that I did not participate as some are accusing me of, even though its none of their business.

Thank You

Hi All,

We have 14/42 slots filled on the second pallet. There are 15 open splits:

• BD-MUNH Munich - Bulk -0.75
  • Great Western 2Row Vienna Malt - Bulk -0.5
  • Breiss Flaked Rye - Bulk -0.5
  • Breiss 2-Row Caramel Malt 60L - Bulk -0.5
  • Breiss Carapils Malt - Bulk -0.25

Hey Guys--

Just letting you all know about a Home Brew/Beer event in Connellsville, PA on October 4, 2014. It's called Tangled Up In Brew and this is the 4th straight year for the event. There's going to be live music, great food and of course home brew. I am not an organizer but have taken part as a brewer for the event every year. I'd like to see this event grow so that more brewers can have opportunity to share their beers and enjoy the feedback and atmosphere. I've had a great time every year.

So far there are 20 home brews entered into the event. Awards are given for judges choice, peoples choice, best name and so forth. Brewers serve two ounce samples of their beers to event attendees. Of course, the sample are two ounces, but attendees can get back in line for more samples.

I realize it's a bit late to get a brew ready, so if you have a batch brewed or can get a quick hefeweizen or wit brewed, you'll have a great time and enjoy the experience. The typical brewer brings 4 - 5 gallons of beer per beer entry and there is no limit to the number of beer types you can enter.

If you can't enter as a brewer then you can still attend as tickets are $10.00 pre-sale and $15.00 at the door.

All proceeds go to the Connellsville Parks and Recreation Board, who maintain and improve the parks all over the city of Connellsville. The parks are a part of the city improvements that have contributed to a re-emergence of civic pride in Connellsville

Tangled Up in Brew is held at Yough River Park, right by the Youghiogheny River in Connellsville. Please consider entering a beer or buying a ticket to attend the event.

Here is the contact information for the event, but you can send me a PM if you want more information.

https://www.facebook.com/events/262951197058505/

http://www.pghbeercalendar.com/event...h-time-around/

Note if you do a search... make sure you search "Tangled Up In Brew 4."

They were giving each brewer two event long sleeve t-shirts. Not sure if they have them left, I can inquire for you if you PM me. Also, they have 200 event pint glasses made for attendees.

See you there?

Argyle

Damn, I almost missed this. Somehow I didn't see this going on and just decided to randomly check as I poured out the last of my MO. Just filled out the Google form.

Kyle, I'm one of the guys owed credit from the last round..... just roll it over. Can you PM me how much it is because I honestly forgot about it?

Damn, I almost missed this. Somehow I didn't see this going on and just decided to randomly check as I poured out the last of my MO. Just filled out the Google form.

Kyle, I'm one of the guys owed credit from the last round..... just roll it over. Can you PM me how much it is because I honestly forgot about it?

Done and done.

All - here's the current split count and status. Note that some of these have been closed out.

26 sacks left on this pallet - will draw the line once this is done.

• TF&S Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt - Bulk -0.75
  • Five Star Chemicals PBW Cleaner -0.6
  • Flaked Rye - Bulk -0.5
  • 2-Row Caramel Malt 60L - Bulk -0.5
  • Great Western 2Row Vienna Malt - Bulk -0.25

Hi All - 19 "sacks" open on pallet 2. Here are the open splits:

Note - if you're looking to get more PBW, the splits are 10% (5lbs each). It's pretty cost effective, especially if you have a container to put it in.

• Star San Bulk Sanitizer -0.75 (new split)
  • TF&S Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt - Bulk -0.75
  • Breiss GoldPils Vienna - Bulk -0.75
  • Five Star Chemicals PBW Cleaner -0.6
  • Great Western Malting Crystal 60 Malt - Bulk -0.5
  • GP-Rice Rice Hulls - Bulk -0.5
  • Best Malz Munich Malt - Bulk -0.5
  • 2-Row Caramel Malt 60L - Bulk -0.5
  • Great Western 2Row Vienna Malt - Bulk -0.25
  • Flaked Rye - Bulk -0.25

How about combining the bairds Munich to bestmalz? Kill 2 splits. Who the heckbwants UK Munich anyway?

Back