Pitching yeast late

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle23

Reaction score
It's my first attempt at making a cider this year, and apples ripened early in Washington. I wasn't planning to press cider for at least 2 more weeks, but got the now or never call, and pressed 6 gallons of cider on Friday afternoon.

I went out and bought campden tablets and pectic enzyme at the store before the pressing, but forgot to get the yeast when i was there.

As soon as i got the juice collected, i added the campden tablets, following the instructions on the package and probably over-sulfided, then 24 hours later i added the enzyme. now the cider is sitting, waiting for the yeast which i cant pick up until tuesday at the earliest cuz of the long weekend and i am currently without a vehicle, a ride, or time to get it.

The cider is sealed up and everything that has touched it has been sanitized, and there is no activity in the airlock(but i know that just means there is no activity in the airlock). Can i get away with letting it sit for a couple more days, or should i dose it with another sulfide tablet?

I'll be curious what others say, but I don't worry about pitching a few days late. The only risk of pitching late is that the wild yeast will have a chance to ramp up, before any commercial yeasts overtake them.

--SiletzSpey

So I added the campden tablet. but just three for the whole batch. Everything looks pretty still and its pretty clear. Tomorrow i'll go down to the brew store and get the yeast for the cider.

Latest posts

Back