pitching yeast in cold wort? Bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon112

Reaction score
Guys,

last night I made a batch of beer, and I was in a bit of a rush. I rehydrated my yeast as I was adding the cold water to my wort. The yeast foamed up nicely and I was about to ad it to my wort but I noticed the side of my carboy was pretty cold. I filled it up all with cold tap water, and I think it was a little TOO cold. Not freezing, but colder then I would have liked it.

I was going to wait for it to warm up, but It could have been a few hours, so I pitched the yeast. Its been about 18 hrs and no activity. I read that it can take longer if you pitch in cold wort and it should be ok, but I would like a second opinion.

I figure if I dont get any activity in a few days I will repitch yeast,, but I had a beer kit and not sure if I can get the same yeast, would this matter?

Jon

The only activity you need to look for is with a hydromter.....

When the wort warms up, the yeast will get back to work. Just relax.....You can't kill the yeast in the cold, just put it to sleep. It will wake up when it gets into the right range.

Yeah, I wasnt too worried but just not sure if the cold would kill it like hot water can. Thanks

Back