Pitching US-05 used in a cider into beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiesty

Reaction score
Hey all
I recently made a simple cider using US-05. I'M brewing a pumpkin beer on sunday. Can I wash the yeast and use it in my beer? I've read some posts saying not to go from simple to complex sugars but haven't seen anything official on it.

I wouldn't. Not just for the reason you mentioned, although a good one, but because the cider may have had a higher alcohol content as well. Simple sugars + higher alcohol content could very well = unhealthy yeast for ale fermentation.

ive done the opposite with good healthy fermentations but probably wouldn't do what your saying. for 3-4 bucks, splurge for a new packet.

Don't do it. I dumped two batches of beer due to this. lazy stressed yeast can produce some weird off spring.

I ended up dumping the yeast cake although my cider was only 5.5%. Therefore I don't think the yeast would have been that stressed. Any other reasons not to go from cider to beer with the same yeast if alcohol is low?

Back