Pitching too much yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginuwineus

Reaction score
I mistakenly poured two 5 gallon servings of yeast into my 5 gallon wort. Is my beer ruined???

Nope, more the merrier! Lots of folks make yeast starters to get more into the pool early on. You'll be fine and will see fermentation action early on. Probably one of the best mistakes you could have made!

If you mean that you used two smack packs, you'll be just fine. Probably pitched the correct amount actually.

Better to pitch 'too much' than to underpitch. Use a pitch rate calc. (mrmalty.com) for your next brew, proper pitch rates for most beers are almost always more that one pack or vial.

I'm sorry, but what does OG stand for??? I'm still a rookie

Starting (original) specific gravity reading. It's a way of knowing where you started and when you're done fermenting. Get a hydrometer if you don't have one already.

By knowing the OG, it will tell how much yeast is needed for the feist.

Your beer is in dire straits but salvageable. I have a process that will separate the extra yeast using my liver. Please send the beer to me and I will purge the extra yeast.

:ban: :tank:

Rev.

Need more info here.

What yeast was actually pitched(dry, liquid, slurry, starter etc) and into 5 gallons of what?

Your beer is in dire straits but salvageable. I have a process that will separate the extra yeast using my liver. Please send the beer to me and I will purge the extra yeast.

:ban: :tank:

Rev.
I agree with this. I too will sacrifice for a fellow brewer and take one for the team. My liver will just have to deal with it.

Back