Pitching question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rel322

Reaction score
I did try searching first...

I've heard of under-pitching the yeast, but can one over-pitch? If so, what are the effects of both, if any?

Thanks

It is not as detrimental to taste as under pitching, but it will result in less ester production. In some styles it is not a problem but others it will be. Is this a hypothetical question or is there a batch you think you over pitched on? If its the latter, what was the style and gravity? And how much did you pitch?

Not a hypo, just an educational question. I know I under pitched my first batch by a pack. My next batch I'm looking into (already consulted mr malty) and wondered what would happen if I over pitched

Pitching rate is important and it does determine a lot about the flavor profile of your beer;however, don't overlook yeast health on your search for pure numbers. I'd take 500 strong yeast warriors over 2000 weak ones any day. Make a starter, get the yeast happy. Pitching rate falls apart if you're pitching weak yeast.

Is it true that starters are not necessary if using dry yeast?

You get ~200 billion cells for a few bucks. First, you rarely need more than that for a 5 gallon ale. Second, a starter (along with the time and energy that goes into it) would almost surely cost you more than buying a second packet.

Just rehydrate it before pitching so you get the most healthy cells into the beer to do the job.

^^^Yep.

Sorry I mistakenly assumed you were using liquid yeast. Do what they said though, rehydrate the yeast. Keep your little fellas happy.

Back