Pitching Proper Yeast Is Awesome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehopguy

Reaction score
Pitched around 1:45 pm today. 4 hours later and theres signs of fermentation. Gotta love a proper pitch rate! :rockin:

I think activity at 4 hours is an indication of over-pitching. When you pitch yeast, the first thing it does is reproduce, and develop the base for the esters. If active fermentation starts too early, you get less 'new' yeast and less of the building blocks for the yeast esters.

I generally like to see activity between 10 and 14 hours.

By the time my batch gets it's first check, it's been around 8-12 hours after oxygenating and pitching the starter slurry in... I typically have active fermentation sign by then.

In my latest batch, I'm using a sanke fermenter kit, with thermowell, with a digital probe thermometer down the tube. It has the current, high and low temperatures displayed. It had already peaked by day 4, and was starting to cool down. Really like having the thermowell in there, and not having to rely on the stick on fermometer to be accurate (that's off by a few degrees it seems)...

Forget about it. Micro management is a fools errand or is it an engineers? You won't have off flavors that anyone can taste unless you rush things. I have had quick starters and slow and all have turned our fine. Wait and see.

Forget about it. Micro management is a fools errand or is it an engineers? You won't have off flavors that anyone can taste unless you rush things. I have had quick starters and slow and all have turned our fine. Wait and see.

:mug:

:rockin:

Back