Pitching lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atbrown

Reaction score
I've read about the differences between cold pitching lager yeast and pitching as if it were an ale. This is my first lager, and I decided to pitch it at room temperature as if it were an ale, with the intent to move it to 50-55 temp when there is a definite sign of activity. However, it's been a few days now and there hasn't been any activity. The carboy is sitting in room temp with a temperature of about 67 degrees. Yesterday, I set up a space heater and warmed it up to 70 and a few bubbles did come out through the airlock. Unfortunately, I can't leave the heater on all day while I'm at work, so today it is back to 67 and silent. I'm assuming the bubbles I saw escape yesterday were just from the expanding gas in the headspcace, and not necessarily CO2 from active yeast. Anyways, is it common for lager yeast to take this long to get started?

By the way, I used a liquid Wyeast smack pack (without a starter because my OG isn't very high to begin with) but the smack pack didn't fully swell within the 3 hours or so before I pitched it. I've had that same thing happen with a bunch of Ale yeast smack packs and have never had a problem if I properly aerate it.

Sounds exactly like my experience with my first lager, a Maibock i did about 3 weeks ago. It took 4 days for signs of fermentation at 60 degrees, but it did finally take off. I was even doing hydro tests to see when it started. After 10 days of fermenting at 50, I did some hydro tests and confirmed it was done. Unfortunately the lag in fermentation caused some ester flavors in the sample i tried. I just got done with a diacetyl rest and am currently cold crashing it. I think you are in for a similar experience as I had.

What I learned:

1. Always use a starter
2. Pitch at lager temps
3. BIAB instructions are for complete beginners (lagers are not)
4. Do not allow a lager to sit above 60 for any length of time

Good luck!

Well, damnit. So, since it's only been about 48 hours, do you think I should add another smack pack and chill it down to 50 degrees? The problem is that I took the last Danish lager yeast packet from my LHBS a few days ago and chances are they don't have more yet. So would it be stupid to try to match a similar Wyeast and pitch it? Or just wait it out. Either way, I'll move it to the chiller immediately.

I would get it down to lagering temps ASAP, the yeast will get going and do their thing. They always do.....

Well, damnit. So, since it's only been about 48 hours, do you think I should add another smack pack and chill it down to 50 degrees? The problem is that I took the last Danish lager yeast packet from my LHBS a few days ago and chances are they don't have more yet. So would it be stupid to try to match a similar Wyeast and pitch it? Or just wait it out. Either way, I'll move it to the chiller immediately.

I suggest you make starter next time for lager it is a MUST! The problem is you might now end up with beer full of diacetyl from stressed out yeast and you will have to dump it. Second pack might help a little but you need more like 6 of them so I would not bother, just wait and see.

Yes, the yeast are finally happy and consuming the sugars. It took over two days though, so I'll be expecting some off flavors in my beer. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks to all for the replies.

Yeah, I was just reading about diacetyl rests. It seems like it may be a bit confusing to know exactly when I should do that. What I gathered is that when the krausen/foam is starting to fall back down and the bubbling airlock begins to diminish, then I raise the temp from the 50 I have it set now, to about 60 for a day or two. That way the yeast activity picks up and consumes the diacetyl. Then I rack it to secondary and lower the temp to 35 or so for a few weeks of lagering. Sound good?

Sounds fine to me, but this is my first lager as well lol

I waited until fermentation was complete, i got 3 days worth of tests with the same gravity. I then raised the temp of my fermentation chamber to 58, let the temp rise overnight, then waited 24 hours and moved my fermenter to another fridge to cold crash. That was Sunday, and I plan to let it cold crash until i can actually do something with it, probably this weekend. I think it then is supposed to age for a few months but i imagine i'll be skipping that part....

Just a follow up: I ended up not being able to attend to my lager for several months and it just stayed in the fridge in it's primary fermenter on a layer of sediment for over three months, without performing a diacetyl rest, and guess what?....it turned out great. Every time i worry about one of my brews turning out bad, it seems to fix itself.

Back