Pitching Lacto Blend 3 days into Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brif

Reaction score
Hello All!

Have an all extract saison in primary (57% golden light DME & 43% Wheat DME).
OG of 1.057 and has been in primary BB with 2L starter of WLP550 for 2.5 days in high 60's F, chugging away. 1.5 IBU. Krausen has fallen, but still a defined layer of yeast on top and still very active blowoff.

Ultimately want this to have medium tartness to moderate sourness in the end product.

I now have in hand TYB Beersel Blend and Amalgamation II that I will eventually pitch in secondary.

I have a few long-term sours aging, and would love something that could be ready in 6 months, rather than 18 months.

I also have TYB Lacto Blend on hand now (which is reported to work quickly, and temp range is 70-90F). Is it too late to use this Lacto blend now, or is there an effective way to use it for at least some tartness? Should I use it on another beer since this is already chugging away in a primary better bottle?

I see a few options. Your thoughts on these?? :

1) Leave this alone for now, transfer to secondary at 3 weeks (as normal), then pitch brett blend and dregs before letting it age long-term (not using the lacto blend).
2) Pitch the Lacto Blend into primary tonight (at 3 days into primary) and let it get started with the WLP550 before alcohol gets too high, rolling temp into 70's, hoping for some quicker tartness, then transfer to glass secondary at 3 weeks and pitch a brett blend. (I would prefer to keep my platic better bottle "clean", but if some tartness is likely, I might do this.) Then age.
3) Cold crash early at one week into primary to slow down the WLP550, then transfer to glass secondary, let temp rise into 70's, and pitch the lacto blend, then after a couple of weeks pitch a brett blend. Then age.
4) Forget the cold crash, transfer to secondary once the airlock activity slows, rasie into 70's, then pitch the lacto blend, then brett blend after another couple of weeks. Then age.

Thanks!!

If you want the beer to be ready fast, save your lacto. It’s too late for it to have a quick effect on this beer. Better to use it on another batch and maybe blend some of the sour batch in to make the level of tartness you are looking for. Also the beersel blend is part of amalgamation II, so no sense pitching both. I would recommend pitching amalgamation II fermented at the higher end of it’s recommended temp range (you can add it now or in secondary). I’ve had excellent results doing this. It produces a very complex dry beer with solid funk in basically the same amount of time it will take for a “clean” beer to finish. Bottling or kegging? If you are bottling, make sure it’s stable and below 1.004ish. Use heavy bottles and enjoy it as it develops with time.

I'd go for option 2. I think the Lacto blend will be able to sour, especially if you crank up the temp into the upper 70s. It only needs about 1 point of gravity to work. Alcohol shouldn't matter too much.

I'm not sure how much commercial Lacto really contaminates equipment. Hops in clean beer should prevent souring.

Cheers

If I decide to let this one ride out for long-term aging, is it still too late for the yeast bay lacto blend to add any acidity, or could it do some good work over the long haul?
If I went this route I'd probably pitch the beersel blend and some dregs as well into secondary, letting it age for future blending with my other long-term aging sours.
I'm ok to add this to my long-term projects if the quick sour shio has sailed already.

I'd go for option 2. I think the Lacto blend will be able to sour, especially if you crank up the temp into the upper 70s. It only needs about 1 point of gravity to work. Alcohol shouldn't matter too much.

I'm not sure how much commercial Lacto really contaminates equipment. Hops in clean beer should prevent souring.

Cheers

Just saw your responde RPh_Guy. THe last time I used WLP550, it took 3 weeks to finish, although it attenuated at 83%. MAkes me think there could be some good sugars for the LActo now, but I was wondering if the very active sacch would be too much competition for it, or woul dit just do its thing regardless.

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Alternative_Bacteria_Sources
MTF "Reverse Kettle Sour"
Devin Bell has experienced getting good sourness by co-pitching probiotics with L. plantarum with yeast, or even after primary fermentation (also known as the "Reverse MTF Sour"). It is claimed that this method allows the yeast character to be expressed more so than with kettle sours. In the case of pitching L. plantarum after fermentation, the beer turned out like a sour saison, where as co-pitched makes for a better Berliner Weisse or Gose style beer without the "saison" yeast character. This has also improved head retention in his beers. Using no hops seems to be required in order to get acid production from the L. plantarum probiotics after primary fermentation. Devin clarified that his "best success" is pitching S. cerevisiae saison strain with a selection of Brettanomyces for primary fermentation. After 5-7 days of fermentation, he pitches L. plantarum (2 shots of GoodBelly or 1 package of Omega Labs OYL-605 for 5-6 gallons of beer) [18]. Once terminal gravity is reached (1.002-1.004), he bottles right away. The bottles can be served at 8 weeks in the bottle, but start to peak at 24 weeks. This process is really more of a short term Mixed Fermentation [19].

nice... I think I'm gonna keep this one running in high 60's in primary a bit longer, but maybe transfer to secondary on the earlier side, throw in the lacto blend and ramp up into 70's, then see what kind of tartness I get. if I like it, I'll throw in the beersel blend and let that go for a while. If its not tart enough, I'll throw in the beersel with dregs and some samples with pedio from another carboy and let it ride long term

Back