Pitching fresh yeast from local brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainelybeer

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I recently started brewing, after many years of telling myself I should start brewing, and am lucky enough to have a local brewery as a source of fresh yeast. The first time I used the fresh yeast, I pitched it into my carboy after letting it sit on the counter and warm for a while (it had been in the fridge), maybe 15 minutes. It was quite thick and I ended up using a (sanitized) spoon to get all of it out. I'm wondering if I should be doing anything different to the yeast before I pitch it, like adding some boiled but cooled water to it to get things mixed up and make it a little easier to add to the carboy. I'll be brewing tomorrow and have a jar of the fresh stuff in the fridge.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Use some of the wort you just made to thin it out. I'd recommend you still do a starter though, even though the yeast is "fresh"

I'd do exactly what you did. When I reuse yeast, if it really is fresh (not more than two weeks old) I just pitch without a starter - plenty of healthy viable cells.

I'd do exactly what you did. When I reuse yeast, if it really is fresh (not more than two weeks old) I just pitch without a starter - plenty of healthy viable cells.

This stuff came out of the tank at the brewery yesterday. I'm brewing with it tomorrow morning. The beer it came from was crashed on monday, if that matters. Sounds fresh to me.

Back